Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Belated (more so than usual) thoughts on the Cardiff game

Apologies for the belated post (and if many of these topics have already been covered below in the various match threads) but as I combined the Cardiff trip with a few days in the (very attractive) herefordshire countryside so this is the first chance i''ve had to get online.

Firstly I would say that having seen them on Saturday I think that Cardiff will win the league this season. I don''t say that because they were head and shoulders better than any team i have seen, but mainly because of the momentum and the firepower they possess. They remind me a lot of us the season we won the league. Not hugely convincing in certain areas but with players that can hurt you and win games with moments of magic. Their front six going forward are excellent and they will outscore most teams. having said that, they are not completely convincing in other areas and I think we were hugely unlucky to go in 3-1 down at half time on saturday as i thought that in the first half we were the better side and we opened them up on countless occasions. Had we been more clinical it would have been a very different game. had the referee not awarded what I thought was a harsh penalty, the second half may have been a different story. As it was, the penalty took a bit of the wind out of our sails and to give them credit Cardiff closed out the second half very well and in the end deserved the victory.

Other thoughts:

1. Wes was the best player on the pitch for the first 45 minutes. The injury he picked up scoring the goal seemed to affect him though and he was much quieter second half.

2. Much better from Korey this week and this I think made a big difference.

3. My americal guest watching only his second ever game pointed to Russell Martin after 20 minutes and observed that he thought he was sh*t.

4. Bellamy was either knackered or did not want to inflict too much pain on us. He did what was requird of him but nothing more and spent most of the game playing simple 5 yard passes and not really taking Martin on.

5. We look really dodgy defending corners at the moment.

6. In my view the main reason behind point 5 above and also a large number of the goals we are conceding is Jon Ruddy and his total lack of command of his area. I know there is a thread on Ruddy below and that many think he is unfairly criticised but I genuinely feel he is costing us goals at the moment on a regular basis. I''ve not seen the highlights from the game but my feeling at the time was that he could and should have done better for both (particularly the second where I thought he looked favourite to get their ahead of Chopra until he hesitated and then made it far too easy to beat him) and for me he just appears rooted to his line most of the time. I don''t think Barnett and Ward have any confidence he will come for crosses and i find the number of headers the opposition are getting in and around our six yard box alarming (e.g. the palace second goal - I know people will say there were two defenders there but for me a dominant keeper calls for it and claims anything in that area). Ruddy is a decent shot stopper from distance (as shown on saturday when he made 2 or 3 good saves from range - saves most keepers would make and which no doubt led to the NOTW team of the week selection) but he does not convince me on one on ones and for me his command of his area is non existant. for that reason (and nothing to do with him not being academy or not being forster) I personally would like to see Rudd given a run.

7. Tough game on saturday but 4 points from Burnley and Millwall needed to keep us on track.

Other than the Hoolahan comments this seems to reverse all we have heard from others, presumbly thats why the seperate thread. Others have said Russell Martin and Ruddy were outstanding and Korey was rubbish. Point number 4 is very strange if number 3 is correct. Put Askou back in the team then we definitely look dodgey defending corners. I think you will find he played against Palace, Rudd will almost certainl be our or somebodies no 1 in years to come, however in what gam did he cmmand the 18 yard box when he played ? Surely if Lambert would hav thought he was capable already there is no way he would have blown a major part of his budget on Ruddy.

Burnley are a very good side and Millwall away is always very difficult, so if your post is correct we will do very well to get 4 points from these 2 games

[quote user="Lambert is King"]

Other than the Hoolahan comments this seems to reverse all we have heard from others, presumbly thats why the seperate thread. Others have said Russell Martin and Ruddy were outstanding and Korey was rubbish. Point number 4 is very strange if number 3 is correct. Put Askou back in the team then we definitely look dodgey defending corners. I think you will find he played against Palace, Rudd will almost certainl be our or somebodies no 1 in years to come, however in what gam did he cmmand the 18 yard box when he played ? Surely if Lambert would hav thought he was capable already there is no way he would have blown a major part of his budget on Ruddy.

Burnley are a very good side and Millwall away is always very difficult, so if your post is correct we will do very well to get 4 points from these 2 games

[/quote]

Regarding Martin I was simply commenting that my neutral mate didn''t rate him. In my judgment he was ok but I don''t think Bellamy was going for it and I think Martin was therefore not tested that much.

Ruddy made three good saves. Thats what people often notice about keepers and I can only assume is why he has had some good reviews. Fair enough - its all about opinions. Mine is that I am not comfortable with him between the sticks and I don''t think our central defenders are either as he s irooted to his line and doesn''t come for crosses. I''m not saying Rudd is the answer but he has done nothing wrong when he has featured this season and I think we could do a lot worse than give him a go!

Can''t understand Korey getting bad reviews. i thought he was back to his best.

Regarding Martin I was simply commenting that my neutral mate didn''t rate him.

I think your earlier post said that a friend watching only his second game said Russell Martin was s--t

This comment was totally out of line with your other judgements and not based on any experience of the wonderful soccer game. It is totally opposite to the Radio Norfolk commentary and analysis

By the way my wife likes to but sausages from Asda

Well I did go to the game, and I have to say I think Martin was s--t. I totally agree with points 1-5 and only partially with the Ruddy comment.

The Cardiff fans around me also thought Martin was our weakest link, and were annoyed that Bellars was unwilling/unable to kick in the afterburners because it would have been messy had that of happened.

Martin at his best is a 7 out of 10 player - which is fine of course - but only if he plays at his best. His passing was woeful and we had 3 or 4 broken down attacks in the first half due to his wayward passing/crossing. I just don''t get why everyone raves about him. If I''m brutally honest I feel the same way about Lappin.

I am not having a downer on our players, but I am trying to be realistic. Surely someone out there agrees with me???

I agree Muddy, they''re both doing an amicable job in this league but I think it''s plain to see both are out of there depth if we want a squad pushing for promotion. No lack of effort or desire on either part from them just simply the lack of quality.

Were a decent right-back and striker short at the moment.

I also agree with the general consensus with Ruddy, decent enough keeper and will do us fine in this league but never fills me with confidence with balls coming into the box.

[quote user="Muddy funster"]Well I did go to the game, and I have to say I think Martin was s--t. I totally agree with points 1-5 and only partially with the Ruddy comment. The Cardiff fans around me also thought Martin was our weakest link, and were annoyed that Bellars was unwilling/unable to kick in the afterburners because it would have been messy had that of happened. Martin at his best is a 7 out of 10 player - which is fine of course - but only if he plays at his best. His passing was woeful and we had 3 or 4 broken down attacks in the first half due to his wayward passing/crossing. I just don''t get why everyone raves about him. If I''m brutally honest I feel the same way about Lappin. I am not having a downer on our players, but I am trying to be realistic. Surely someone out there agrees with me???[/quote]

I agree with you Muddy. I like both lappin and Martin. They seem like decent blokes and they have a good attitude and to be fair to them both they have done better than i expected this season and have generally played pretty well. I think however that both players have limitations which mean that if they are not right at the top of their game then they get exposed at this level. Thankfully it has not happened often and that is to their credit. If, however, in due course we are to step up and develop into genuine promotion contenders then i think we will need better players playing in these positions week in week out. Hopefully we already have one of them in Surman. 

I am convinced Lambert is all to aware of Ruddy''s problems. The main one I think is nerves.

I predict that we will see Rudd in the first team very soon. It could even be this Saturday.

There was nothing wrong with RM he did what he had to do..............bellars wasn''t playing his usual self for whatever reason,but i just wish for one time people would stop bashing RM on here .................i doubt your mate could do any better? [:|]

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]I am convinced Lambert is all to aware of Ruddy''s problems. The main one I think is nerves. I predict that we will see Rudd in the first team very soon. It could even be this Saturday.[/quote]

....really?