Sign in to follow this  
shortfatb

Automatic Promotion this season

I think it shows how far we have come that we are even thinking about it. For me another 27pts+ and staying up would still be the first goal and then push on from there. I note that in our 14 games, we have now played 10 games against teams in the bottom half of the table and only 4 against those in the top half. Suggests we have a harder patch of teams to come. At present we have 19pts v bottom half teams and 4 v top half.

I wasn''t banking on going up this season and will be happy if we finish top 10 and above Ipswich.

there''s a long way to go as yet and its very unusual for a team to stay top from now until the end of the season.

Realistically you''ve got to be happy with a mid table finish after coming up last year, but you never know, as the saying goes it''s a funny old game.

Apart from Cardiff at the moment i don''t see a lot of team that are any better than us, on there day

There''ll be plenty of changes up there yet. Watch Portsmouth make a charge.I''ll even state that neither Cardiff nor QPR will be in the top 2 come then end.

Not sure I agree. we have played the top 3, and had a win, draw, lose.

Beat middlesborough who we''re favourites, along with forest who we drew.

Beat bristol who we''re also favourites for a top 6 place.

No one thought Watford would come to CR and wi, similar to Palace.

Yeah, I never thought in a million we would be in top 2, possible playoffs or just linger around it would be good!

[quote user="shortfatb"]So it seems from the game yesterday that it won''t be us going up this way, this season.[/quote]

I would be delighted with a top 6 finish, but even that is beyond what we realistically should be hoping for.

We are moving in the right direction, middle of the table and survival this season will do nicely!

With QPR having drawn 5 of their last six, I would say that they are very catchable. I don''t think our lads will be throwing in the towel just yet somehow with 32 games still to play and yet to suffer back to back defeats under Lambert.  

I wouldn''t be happy usless we got promoted as I''m in the business of expecting my club to do well. We have nothing to fear the othes, yes Cardif and QPR are up there and, as I stated at the start of the season, Pompey will be there,

Lets not worry about others and just keep pushing on.

I think it would be silly if we an''t up at the top of the end of the season, from what ive seen we are a good side but seem to play silly sometimes and conciide silly goals and when we play well wer''ve played extremely well, cardif seem''d one of thoese days were we were the better team but it didn''t go are way. the teams who are suppose to be the top dogs arn''t preforming. look at blackpool i believe we have better players than them. this league is ready to be taken and there no time like now to show are true colours and try to get up there maybe not automatic but atleast play offs.

I think Cardiff will win the league pretty comfortably, not in a Newcastle type way but they will win no problem IMO.  QPR on the other hand are a different matter, I expect to see them be a bit inconsistent and just miss out on an automatic spot.

I think Swansea could be the team that steals 2nd place away from QPR.  They are playing the same way they did under Sousa and are still keeping lots of clean sheets and they are also starting to score goals, I think they will nick 2nd place.  I also expect Forest to come strong, and like others have said, Pompey, they have a small squad but it''s still full of quality.  The play offs are wide open so then teams like Norwich, Ipswich, Reading and Burnley could all be challenging for 5th and 6th spot.  This is my prediction;

1st: Cardiff
2nd: Swansea
3rd: QPR
4th: Forest
5th: Burnley
6th: Norwich 

If we cut out giving away stupid goals then top six is definately easily achievable. If we can cut out the stupid goals and the front two can start smashing them in then top two i think is achievable but still unlikely.

Cardiff remind me of Man City when they had Hucks and ran away with the league, scoring tons of goals in the process. They may be dodgy at the back but they will still outscore teams.

Swansea look a better bet for second than QPR who seem to have lost the knack of grinding out results.

I think we''ve got enough momentum to reach the play-offs despite a small squad and no funds. It would be a fantastic achievement. I hope we meet the binners in the play-offs and mangle them.

Funny things can still happen - like Wolves under David Jones collapsing when miles clear at the top.

1. Cardiff
  2. Swansea
  3. Portsmouth
  4. Ipswich
  5. Norwich
  6. Leicester

If we finish in the top ten then I believe we should all feel that we have done good, I cant remember when the last team got back to back promotion from 3rd to premier league, But that is not saying I wouldn''t like it to happen, But has anyone got a spare few million knocking about, because we would need to spend at least 25 mil just to compete up there, perhaps we would be better suited next season to go for it

[quote user="pete_norw"]If we finish in the top ten then I believe we should all feel that we have done good, I cant remember when the last team got back to back promotion from 3rd to premier league, But that is not saying I wouldn''t like it to happen, But has anyone got a spare few million knocking about, because we would need to spend at least 25 mil just to compete up there, perhaps we would be better suited next season to go for it[/quote]

We will not get a better opportunity than this season. The sides that have come down have all been pretty awful, whereas next season we could be up against the likes of Liverpool or West Ham and without Lambert at the helm. To deliberately delay a good promotion opportunity which would wipe out the club''s debts may well be a cause for regret in a few years time.  

[quote user="shortfatb"]So it seems from the game yesterday that it won''t be us going up this way, this season.[/quote]

I believe we will go up in an automatic place, its only November the 1st for goodness sake.[:|]

[quote user="First Wizard"]

I believe we will go up in an automatic place, its only November the 1st for goodness sake.[:|]

[/quote]

Well said Wiz!

For anybody who believed we could go up in an automatic place last week to change their minds because we lost this game is ridiculous. We lost at Cardiff the year we won the league and were 15 points clear of 3rd.

I find it really hard to call - Cardiff look good, but I wonder if QPR will keep it going - do they have enough to improve when they get caught by the pack? I think Forest will feature, building on the near miss last year. The rest is wide open with us being happy with top 10 or sneaking the play offs.

We are no where near ready for the step up to the premier with the current squad.

[quote user="Heresyourfathersgun"]I find it really hard to call - Cardiff look good, but I wonder if QPR will keep it going - do they have enough to improve when they get caught by the pack? I think Forest will feature, building on the near miss last year. The rest is wide open with us being happy with top 10 or sneaking the play offs. We are no where near ready for the step up to the premier with the current squad.[/quote]

Were Blackpool?

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Heresyourfathersgun"]I find it really hard to call - Cardiff look good, but I wonder if QPR will keep it going - do they have enough to improve when they get caught by the pack? I think Forest will feature, building on the near miss last year. The rest is wide open with us being happy with top 10 or sneaking the play offs. We are no where near ready for the step up to the premier with the current squad.[/quote]

Were Blackpool?

[/quote]

No, they got lucky, which we could do. They will be relegated, but I enjoy watching them battle and Holloway makes me laugh. We''re not ready yet unless someone gives us a few million to spend.

I can''t see it happening personally, don''t think we have enough firepower, Holt seems a little out of sorts, but he does add more to a game than goals with his assists etc, C. Martin doesn''t look as though he''s on fire when he comes on the pitch, and Simeon is starting to doing better. If god forbid Holt and Simeon get injured and/or suspended then we don''t have much firepower. Ok we have the likes of Chris, Oli & Daley also, but they don''t start games near enough to get many goals.  The other players chip in with goals, but is it enough to stay towards the top of the table, mmmm, I IMO don''t think so.

If we had enough money and there was a proven CC striker (which is rare, as if they are good enough they would already have a team place) then I would say go for it, but we are skint, and we''ve been down the loan route before and it''s not something id feel comfortable with having too many loans.

I feel we will be mid to upper table at the end of the season and spend the rest of this season and next consolidating.  However, I would be very happy to be there or there abouts at the end of the season  [:D]

It would certainly be worth pushing the boat out with a couple of signings in January in order to enhance what I see as an excellent chance of grabbing an automatic spot.  

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="pete_norw"]If we finish in the top ten then I believe we should all feel that we have done good, I cant remember when the last team got back to back promotion from 3rd to premier league, But that is not saying I wouldn''t like it to happen, But has anyone got a spare few million knocking about, because we would need to spend at least 25 mil just to compete up there, perhaps we would be better suited next season to go for it[/quote]

We will not get a better opportunity than this season. The sides that have come down have all been pretty awful, whereas next season we could be up against the likes of Liverpool or West Ham and without Lambert at the helm. To deliberately delay a good promotion opportunity which would wipe out the club''s debts may well be a cause for regret in a few years time.  

[/quote]

Puting it like that Paul No one even me would  disagree I would love us to go up and I will fly over Norwich and drop green and yellow ribbons all over the place

Wouldn''t mind a play off final and a trip to the new Wemberley myself,  not been there yet [:D]

QPR are unlikely to stay the pace in my opinion - Colin is a reasonable manager but there are still too many issues such as Briatore in the backgroundCardiff however are very likely to go up especially if they can keep everyone fit.  Expect the 3 relegated Prem sides to be close come the end and probably Reading, Swansea and Forest tooWeve got a reasonable chance of the top 6 and to be honest would rather we stayed under the radar as far as the press is concerned.  My own bet is that we finish top 6 and get to the playoff final