Sign in to follow this  
writeronthestorm

Neil Adams comments regarding penalty taking

He’s deadly from the penalty spot and as one penalty taker to another, I take my hat off to him,” said Adams. “It might look easy from the stand or when you’re not the one taking it, but only people who take penalties know how difficult it is.

“There is only one reason he is so accurate – practice, religious practice. You can’t replicate a match situation on the training ground, but it gives you a big advantage and that’s the reason he’s so successful.”

Absolutely spot on.  I find it so irritating when people, usually pundits during the world cup, say that penalty shoot outs are a lottery and there is nothing you can do about it.  I liken it to a pro-golfer...he practises his putting hour after hour so that when he is putting for the championship (or whatever) its second nature for him to go through the motions. 

Of course, big matches, crucial moments and the keeper making a save will still have an affect, but it minimises that and moves you away from this whole "lottery" thing.

Appreciate this is not specifically about Norwich, but I had to get it off my chest!

I agree and like you said with the golfer, you practice the same routine each time so it becomes second nature and the same should be done for the penalty taker.

However the reason a penalty shootout becomes a lottery is because you have to get 5 players who are confident and you are relying on them all to score.  A penalty shootout is quite a bit different to just the one penalty in the game.