Sign in to follow this  
Mark Fotheringham City Legend

Gills fans on Cody

They have a lot of nice words for the lad!

"I hope you go up this season,then maybe you won''t want him back.To me,he is developing into as good a striker as Marlon King was for us.He''s the type of player that when he gets the ball near the box you expect something to happen.In a better side than us,he would score more,and as it is,he''s scored 4 in 5 starts."

" think we''ve only seen the best of McDonald in flashes and that''s due to him taking a while to settle in, injuries, lack of a proper pre-season and poor service a lot of the time. What''s encouraging is that there''s real variety in the goals he''s scored - a couple of headers, an instinctive volley and a great solo effort at Accrington. From what little I knew of him, I thought he tended to get Lineker-esque poachers goals, so it''s definitely a good sign that he''s impressed and got goals without yet really getting typical ''striker''s goals''. Hopefully they will come and then he''ll be an excellent player for us. If I was being critical, then yes he is sometimes knocked off the ball a bit easily and maybe tries to take on one man too many. Overall I rate him though and, Saturday aside, he''s worked really hard chasing and closing down defenders."

I really hope he has a part to play for us. Let''s just hope he doesn''t turn into Marlon King in a non football sense

OTBC!

I think it is a shame we can''t get him back in January.

For me, he has more about him than Oli Johnson and would compete more for a first team place. I really like cody and think the loan spell will do him good...but still a shame he is away all season!

I work with a couple of Gills season ticket holders and they both say he is by far and away the best player there. It would be good to see him come back but if he did I just can''t see PL playing him, I don''t think he is a PL type player.

[quote user="CT"]League 2.....[/quote]Are you seriously going to tell me that playing in League 2 for a year didn''t do Chris Martin any good?

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="CT"]League 2.....[/quote]Are you seriously going to tell me that playing in League 2 for a year didn''t do Chris Martin any good?[/quote]Didn''t you hear? It''s been decided that anyone who plies their trade at that low a level can''t reasonably be considered to play against footballers in the higher leagues who may earn over double their wage packet.

Note; Martin only scored 13 goals in his season at Luton, and unlike Spillane, was scarcely touted for better things than League One. Looks a fair bit more than that now, wouldn''t you say?But of course the damnation of Cody is ''totally'' fair...

I think a season in League 2 might do Cody some good - it worked for Chris Martin didn''t it at Luton?

It also helps he''s back in the same area he was before with Dartford, it might be the motivation he needs before next season.

Let''s face it, we all love it when a young player is plucked from non-league obscurity and comes in and makes a real impact - it gives us a real affinity towards them. Remember that a year before we signed him, Oli was playing for some miners'' welfare team in the Northern League, and he made a great initial impact too. I think it''s an ''either/or'' thing - Lambert had to choose one player for backup, and one to send out on loan. I think, somewhat paradoxically, that he actually rates Cody more highly than he does Oli; he just knows that Cody won''t get enough football to develop if he stays here, especially without many reserve matches in which to play. I wouldn''t be surprised to see Oli leave in the summer, and then (assuming we''re not promoted) Cody coming back to offer genuine competition for Holt, Jackson and Martin. Just a thought.

I really like Cody and think he could turn out to be a very good player for us.  I don''t know whether Lambert sending him out on loan was to try to sell him at the end of the season or to try and do what Roeder did with Martin.  I think he offers more than Oli Johnson and like someone else said, the reason McDonald went on loan instead of Johnson could well be because Lambert rates McDonald more highly and wants him to get a full a season under his belt to turn good for us next season and just keep Oli as a last choice back up and sell him at the end of this season.