Sign in to follow this  
vos

Will they ever get off Robert Chase's back

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"]

As for your assertion the since Robert Chase we have struggled to punch our weight....... It''s worth remembering that before Robert Chase we never had any weight to punch. He created the successful club image and success that so many modern fans consider is the expected norm for NCFC... when prior to his tenure we were just a small rural outfit living in the shadow of Ipswich Town.
[/quote]

---

Hilarious. That is a not so much a rewriting of history as an eradication. Stalin would have admired the bare-faced dishonesty of pretending the South/Bond era never happened.

[/quote]

Indeed! But it''s enough to get him free membership of the Delia Out Group[:O]

[/quote]

I thought the only DOG group was you and Lapp.[:D]

[/quote]

But does it have two heads??????

[:-*]

[;)]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

As for your assertion the since Robert Chase we have struggled to punch our weight....... It''s worth remembering that before Robert Chase we never had any weight to punch. He created the successful club image and success that so many modern fans consider is the expected norm for NCFC... when prior to his tenure we were just a small rural outfit living in the shadow of Ipswich Town.[/quote]

---

Hilarious. That is a not so much a rewriting of history as an eradication. Stalin would have admired the bare-faced dishonesty of pretending the South/Bond era never happened.

[/quote]Fun as it was.... did it ever reach the dizzy heights of the Chase tenure? I saw both at close quarters and the answer is a catagoric no.

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="lappinitup"] I may be wrong here but I seem to remember the Reads flour mill being bought by the Chase "family" and then sold on to NCFC with a very large profit (£250k and £1m come to mind).

[/quote]

I hope you can back that scurrilous statement with fact Lapp.

Or just another urban myth to discredit the man.Like his building company building stands when it was R.G. Carters.

I thought the Mill was bought over several years and the income virtualy paid for the yearly repayment. (or ws that LSE land)

[/quote]How can I back it up with "facts" when it is something that stands out in my memory from many years ago? As I said, I could be completely wrong as the memory can play tricks over the years. However, by putting it out there, it''s just possible that someone of a similar age like Wiz or Ricardo for example, may have similar recollections and if it proves to be true, it deserves to be included in this discussion. If not, then I have to accept senility is advancing.

Cluck said: ''Second point... Robert Chase is a businessman not a charity.  I don''t hear too much whinging about Delia Smith milking the NCFC brand for all she''s worth and not putting all of her income into the club. RC was (and is) entitled to make money out of business ventures, which is what NCFC was for him.... and is for Smith. Unless the UK has turned into some kind of Communist state.... that''s what business people do.Moving onto SOBs familiar line regarding Martin O''Neill and the Dean Windass saga..... O''Neill is a temperamental mercenary as has been proved over time and would have walked away anyway at a time of his choosing. I shed no tears about his brief tenure.... and football being cyclical for all but the biggest of clubs... expecting RC to maintain those great years ongoing is both naive and ridiculous.Robert Chase basically did the best he could and gave us many great seasons.... Delia Smith has allegedly done the best she could and led us down the garden path to decline. What can be argued about such clear statistical facts?''

Firstly the level of hypocracy in that one clear statement is disgusting. It''s ok for Chase to make money on the club but apparently not Smith and Jones?!! And then to ignore the fact that she has quite publicly put money into the club and indeed directly into the team which is well documented. I am pretty sure that she has pumped several millions, if not tens, into the club - including matching what the fans put in and more to bring Huckerby to the club.

''Robert Chase = great players and success.''

I am not so sure. Lets take what is recognised as the height of Chase''s time as Chairman - the Munich games:

Away team

GK 1 Bryan Gunn: Before he came to Norwich in 1986 he had 16 senior appearances to his name - not what you could say as a TOP signing, therefore its more to a manager spotting an uncut jem.

RB 2 Ian Culverhouse: Joined in 1985 from Totenham with only 2 senior appearances - again, scouting and management more to do with it than Chase. Cost - £50k.

LB 3 Mark Bowen: Signed from Totenham in 1987 for £90k - 17 senior appearances and two goals to his name.

CB 4 Ian Butterworth: Bought for £160k from Nottingham Forrest in 1986 for whom he had made 27 appearances after 90 at Coventry.

CB 5 Spencer Prior: Signed in 1993 for £300k after 135 appearances for Southend.

CM 6 Rob Newman: Signed in 1991 for £600k after nearly 300 appearances for Bristol City.

CF 7 Mark Robins: Signed in 1992 for £800k after 48 appearances for Man Utd.

LM 8 Ian Crook: Signed for £60k in 1986 from Totenham after making 39 appearances.

CF 9 Chris Sutton: Home grown.

RM 10 Ruel Fox: Home grown.

CM 11 Jeremy Goss: Home grown.

Substitutes

MF 14 Daryl Sutch: Home grown.

Out of those players few would have been considered as great players when we signed them, infact if you look through that 12 you have four that are home grown, another three had made less than 30 appearances before they signed for us. So more than half had not even made a name for themselves in football - gambles.

And you can''t take away from the fact that Ken Brown and Dave Stringer were responsible for putting the core of that team together. Infact if you go down the list again with ages it is surprising to see how many were 30+ - 5 of which had been signed for the club before 1990. Fox and Goss had also been playing for the team since before 1990 as well.

''Delia Smith = a string of donkeys and national ridicule.''

Great piece of work there, if we are skint and in the 2nd tier of English football would you expect us to be able to attract the sort of players we were able to before? No. However that said we have seen some true greats under Delia in players like Huckerby, Ashton, Earnshaw, Roberts and others that at least showed promise in Safri, Etuhu, Nedergaad to name but a few. But it is fair to say that they had to make more risks with what little money there was as well as focus money on redeveloping the club.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="lappinitup"] I may be wrong here but I seem to remember the Reads flour mill being bought by the Chase "family" and then sold on to NCFC with a very large profit (£250k and £1m come to mind).

[/quote]

Or just another urban myth to discredit the man.Like his building company building stands when it was R.G. Carters.

I thought the Mill was bought over several years and the income virtualy paid for the yearly repayment. (or ws that LSE land)

[/quote]How can I back it up with "facts" when it is something that stands out in my memory from many years ago? As I said, I could be completely wrong as the memory can play tricks over the years. However, by putting it out there, it''s just possible that someone of a similar age like Wiz or Ricardo for example, may have similar recollections and if it proves to be true, it deserves to be included in this discussion. If not, then I have to accept senility is advancing.[/quote]

I suggest you try that inner circle. There''s a chap in there who remembers everything - both exactly and in sequence. Never googles.

I''m sure he must be of an age to remember ''The Flour Mill Case'' in the minutest of detail.

I mean poster reputations are at stake here.

Never let it be said that the boastfully, thoroughly secondary moderns let their side down.

[:)]

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="lappinitup"] I may be wrong here but I seem to remember the Reads flour mill being bought by the Chase "family" and then sold on to NCFC with a very large profit (£250k and £1m come to mind).

[/quote]

[/quote]How can I back it up with "facts" when it is something that stands out in my memory from many years ago? As I said, I could be completely wrong as the memory can play tricks over the years. However, by putting it out there, it''s just possible that someone of a similar age like Wiz or Ricardo for example, may have similar recollections and if it proves to be true, it deserves to be included in this discussion. If not, then I have to accept senility is advancing.[/quote]

I suggest you try that inner circle. There''s a chap in there who remembers everything - both exactly and in sequence. Never googles.

I''m sure he must be of an age to remember ''The Flour Mill Case'' in the minutest of detail.

I mean poster reputations are at stake here.

Never let it be said that the boastfully, thoroughly secondary moderns let their side down.

[:)]

OTBC

[/quote]

What''s your agenda here in trying to connect me to a post that had nothing to do with me?

Why don''t you google it if you think it''s worth googling? It obviously interests you. What interests me more is whether you can differentiate between owning the club and running the club. It appears not many do.

[quote user="chicken"]Cluck said: ''Second point... Robert Chase is a businessman not a charity.  I don''t hear too much whinging about Delia Smith milking the NCFC brand for all she''s worth and not putting all of her income into the club. RC was (and is) entitled to make money out of business ventures, which is what NCFC was for him.... and is for Smith. Unless the UK has turned into some kind of Communist state.... that''s what business people do.Moving onto SOBs familiar line regarding Martin O''Neill and the Dean Windass saga..... O''Neill is a temperamental mercenary as has been proved over time and would have walked away anyway at a time of his choosing. I shed no tears about his brief tenure.... and football being cyclical for all but the biggest of clubs... expecting RC to maintain those great years ongoing is both naive and ridiculous.Robert Chase basically did the best he could and gave us many great seasons.... Delia Smith has allegedly done the best she could and led us down the garden path to decline. What can be argued about such clear statistical facts?''

Firstly the level of hypocracy in that one clear statement is disgusting. It''s ok for Chase to make money on the club but apparently not Smith and Jones?!! And then to ignore the fact that she has quite publicly put money into the club and indeed directly into the team which is well documented. I am pretty sure that she has pumped several millions, if not tens, into the club - including matching what the fans put in and more to bring Huckerby to the club.

''Robert Chase = great players and success.''

I am not so sure. Lets take what is recognised as the height of Chase''s time as Chairman - the Munich games:

Away team

GK 1 Bryan Gunn: Before he came to Norwich in 1986 he had 16 senior appearances to his name - not what you could say as a TOP signing, therefore its more to a manager spotting an uncut jem.

RB 2 Ian Culverhouse: Joined in 1985 from Totenham with only 2 senior appearances - again, scouting and management more to do with it than Chase. Cost - £50k.

LB 3 Mark Bowen: Signed from Totenham in 1987 for £90k - 17 senior appearances and two goals to his name.

CB 4 Ian Butterworth: Bought for £160k from Nottingham Forrest in 1986 for whom he had made 27 appearances after 90 at Coventry.

CB 5 Spencer Prior: Signed in 1993 for £300k after 135 appearances for Southend.

CM 6 Rob Newman: Signed in 1991 for £600k after nearly 300 appearances for Bristol City.

CF 7 Mark Robins: Signed in 1992 for £800k after 48 appearances for Man Utd.

LM 8 Ian Crook: Signed for £60k in 1986 from Totenham after making 39 appearances.

CF 9 Chris Sutton: Home grown.

RM 10 Ruel Fox: Home grown.

CM 11 Jeremy Goss: Home grown.

Substitutes

MF 14 Daryl Sutch: Home grown.

Out of those players few would have been considered as great players when we signed them, infact if you look through that 12 you have four that are home grown, another three had made less than 30 appearances before they signed for us. So more than half had not even made a name for themselves in football - gambles.

And you can''t take away from the fact that Ken Brown and Dave Stringer were responsible for putting the core of that team together. Infact if you go down the list again with ages it is surprising to see how many were 30+ - 5 of which had been signed for the club before 1990. Fox and Goss had also been playing for the team since before 1990 as well.

''Delia Smith = a string of donkeys and national ridicule.''

Great piece of work there, if we are skint and in the 2nd tier of English football would you expect us to be able to attract the sort of players we were able to before? No. However that said we have seen some true greats under Delia in players like Huckerby, Ashton, Earnshaw, Roberts and others that at least showed promise in Safri, Etuhu, Nedergaad to name but a few. But it is fair to say that they had to make more risks with what little money there was as well as focus money on redeveloping the club.[/quote]I wish I could be arsed to read it all.....Short and sweet has far more impact.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Running.... Controlling.... and let''s not discount ''All sinnging - All dancing''......

[/quote]

Is sinnging a secondary modern thing?

You like to be in control.....don''t you.

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Running.... Controlling.... and let''s not discount ''All sinnging - All dancing''......

[/quote]

[/quote]From the inner circle to the anus itself.....How the mighty (?) have fallen.......

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It''s a waste of time talking schools with you pet. Back then the only thing you knew about Norwich was the Quiz Of The Week.

@cluck: Head in the sand again?!!

First half of my post was me quoting you as I cannot do it on here at the moment without it going all wacko on me.

Then there was a team list and a summary. Not to much to read really cluck - I actually believe you did read it but don''t want to respond mainly because you have more fun trying to lay into someone else.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It''s a waste of time talking schools with you pet. Back then the only thing you knew about Norwich was the Quiz Of The Week.

[/quote]

Do you type all your tripe, waffle and flip-flop - with your anorak hood.....up?....Or down?

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

From the inner circle to the anus itself.....

How the mighty (?) have fallen.......
[/quote]

From the anus itself came your brains......

Present for you.. I mean you, Babes and Jimmy Nail never saw it live...

See if you can spot your mate Big Bob.. don''t go pretending he''s the late great Sir Arthur again......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuRHVXiu1rg

[quote user="chicken"]@cluck: Head in the sand again?!!

First half of my post was me quoting you as I cannot do it on here at the moment without it going all wacko on me.

Then there was a team list and a summary. Not to much to read really cluck - I actually believe you did read it but don''t want to respond mainly because you have more fun trying to lay into someone else.[/quote]Who me?...... We simply differ too much in ours views Chicken and it will only go round in circles. Just admit I''m right and I promise you''ll feel enlightened.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="lappinitup"] I may be wrong here but I seem to remember the Reads flour mill being bought by the Chase "family" and then sold on to NCFC with a very large profit (£250k and £1m come to mind).

[/quote]

I believe it was Chase who aquired the said property on behalf of the club Lapps, no personel profit was involved I understand.

When Chase left the club he took us back and that is one of the reasons we are where we are now!!!!!

[quote user="Canary"]When Chase left the club he took us back and that is one of the reasons we are where we are now!!!!![/quote]Cobblers..... Normality simply resumed that''s all.Such unprecedented success could never be maintained given the income available, and like Portsmouth recently we had to pay over the top in so many ways just to tread water. I find it remarkable and ridiculous that so many of you just don''t get it.  Just be grateful for all that he gave us.... or if you can''t remember....don''t believe all that you read and are told.

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="Canary"]When Chase left the club he took us back and that is one of the reasons we are where we are now!!!!![/quote]

Cobblers..... Normality simply resumed that''s all.

Such unprecedented success could never be maintained given the income available, and like Portsmouth recently we had to pay over the top in so many ways just to tread water.

I find it remarkable and ridiculous that so many of you just don''t get it.  Just be grateful for all that he gave us.... or if you can''t remember....don''t believe all that you read and are told.
[/quote]

Oh I get it alright.  Basically what you are saying is that it doesn’t matter if the person who owns/runs the club is a crook with the ethics of a pickpocket (your terminology: businessman) provided a degree of success is achieved.  You will never get it either because you just can’t or won’t accept that the period of success we enjoyed was in spite of rather than because of Chase.  Yes, he did appoint the manager who brought the success, but don’t try telling us he had some kind of second site because if that was the case he wouldn’t have appointed Deehan or Megson would he?

As far as Chase was concerned our purple patch was a happy accident.  Don’t you think it’s just a little bit of a coincidence that everyone who worked under his regime wouldn’t spit on him if he caught fire?  The number of people who still share your opinion of Chase would struggle to fill a telephone box and yet you still don’t get it!   

[quote user="25overpar"]

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="Canary"]When Chase left the club he took us back and that is one of the reasons we are where we are now!!!!![/quote]

Such unprecedented success could never be maintained given the income available, and like Portsmouth recently we had to pay over the top in so many ways just to tread water.

I find it remarkable and ridiculous that so many of you just don''t get it.  Just be grateful for all that he gave us.... or if you can''t remember....don''t believe all that you read and are told.
[/quote]

The number of people who still share your opinion of Chase would struggle to fill a telephone box and yet you still don’t get it!   

[/quote]

I dunno, The Butler is a big fella..

[quote user="25overpar"]

As far as Chase was concerned our purple patch was a happy accident.  Don’t you think it’s just a little bit of a coincidence that everyone who worked under his regime wouldn’t spit on him if he caught fire?  The number of people who still share your opinion of Chase would struggle to fill a telephone box and yet you still don’t get it!   

[/quote]

Actually, it''ll have to be a Dr Who size telephone box matey.

It not a matter of "getting it" it is just a matter of opinion on Chase and what he did for the club, but life moves on and so should people who still live in the "glory days" of Mr Chase.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

The major difference between Chase and Smith, which makes comparisons worthless, is that Smith owns the club - Chase ran the club. But as nobody on this board seems to be able to identify any difference between those two very different things I expect to be laughed at again.

[/quote]

So are you saying Smith and Jones have never run the club?

Then who appointed Gunn when there was no one left?

Why did she say publicly that she wanted to spend more time at the club, just to breathe the Norfolk air!!

[/quote]

That''s exactly what I''m saying. the only time they have ran the club was when they appointed Gunn after the Executive Management had gone.

I''ll ask you the same question as i asked Tilly. What would you have done instead?

[/quote]

Bump, for an answer. (as they say) [;)]

[quote user="25overpar"]

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="Canary"]When Chase left the club he took us back and that is one of the reasons we are where we are now!!!!![/quote]Cobblers..... Normality simply resumed that''s all.Such unprecedented success could never be maintained given the income available, and like Portsmouth recently we had to pay over the top in so many ways just to tread water. I find it remarkable and ridiculous that so many of you just don''t get it.  Just be grateful for all that he gave us.... or if you can''t remember....don''t believe all that you read and are told.[/quote]

Oh I get it alright.  Basically what you are saying is that it doesn’t matter if the person who owns/runs the club is a crook with the ethics of a pickpocket (your terminology: businessman) provided a degree of success is achieved.  You will never get it either because you just can’t or won’t accept that the period of success we enjoyed was in spite of rather than because of Chase.  Yes, he did appoint the manager who brought the success, but don’t try telling us he had some kind of second site because if that was the case he wouldn’t have appointed Deehan or Megson would he?

[/quote]Slanderous nonsense.Not even worth consideration.

don''t believe all that you read
[/quote]

This should be tagged to each of your posts. Sort of like the health warning on a packet of fags [li]

[quote user="Canary"]

Cobblers..... Normality simply resumed that''s all.Such unprecedented success could never be maintained given the income available, and like Portsmouth recently we had to pay over the top in so many ways just to tread water. I find it remarkable and ridiculous that so many of you just don''t get it.  Just be grateful for all that he gave us.... or if you can''t remember....don''t believe all that you read and are told.

It not a matter of "getting it" it is just a matter of opinion on Chase and what he did for the club, but life moves on and so should people who still live in the "glory days" of Mr Chase.

[/quote]It''s not a case of " living the glory days of Robert Chase''..... it''s about protecting the truth instead of perpetuating a cynical and dishonest myth.He won''t bother to defend his name as I am sure he couldn''t give a toss about the club or it''s fans after how they so disgracefully turned against him when things got difficult, based on a media hyped lie........ Believe the Deliarite claptrap or the truth... It''s up to you.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="25overpar"]

[/quote]

Actually, it''ll have to be a Dr Who size telephone box matey.

[/quote]You claimed in the past to have been there protesting against him, why was that then?

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="Canary"]

[/quote]

It''s not a case of " living the glory days of Robert Chase''..... it''s about protecting the truth instead of perpetuating a cynical and dishonest myth.

He won''t bother to defend his name as I am sure he couldn''t give a toss about the club or it''s fans after how they so disgracefully turned against him when things got difficult, based on a media hyped lie........

Believe the Deliarite claptrap or the truth... It''s up to you.

[/quote]

Spot on [Y]

[quote user="Delia Out"][quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="Canary"]

[/quote]

It''s not a case of " living the glory days of Robert Chase''..... it''s about protecting the truth instead of perpetuating a cynical and dishonest myth.

He won''t bother to defend his name as I am sure he couldn''t give a toss about the club or it''s fans after how they so disgracefully turned against him when things got difficult, based on a media hyped lie........

Believe the Deliarite claptrap or the truth... It''s up to you.

[/quote]

Spot on [Y]

[/quote]

Why is it spot on and what is Deliarite claptrap and what is the truth?

Surely it''s posts like that which are claptrap.....

If folk have something to say they should say it.