Sign in to follow this  
Col Canary

Zak Whitbread Leaving?

Rumour on Millwall board (HOF) that Whitbread has been told to find another club.Could be paving the way for a permanent deal for Barnett?Anyone heard anything?

Hopefully he is.  He may be good when fit but that could be ages away and even when he is fit he is going to take ages to become match fit.  Lets get him off the books, get Barnett on a permanent and maybe then get one more defender.

It wouldn''t surprise me for two reasons. Firstly teh current injury was " a slight tightness in the calf" which led to him pulling out of a pre match warm up in July "as a precaution". That doesn''t equate with three months and counting out of action.

Secondly, I understand that Whitbread is a bit of a party animal who likes the nightlife. Maybe Lambert has non footballing reasons to get rid.

Many many years ago I found myself talking to the  WBA club doctor (different name for this role these days) at a social event and we discussed a similarly injury prone player called Gerry Howshall who was signed for City from the Baggies at great expense and with great expectations, but became a sick-note and put in a limited amount of appearances. Who remembers that then?

He said that Howshall, "Was a player who made the most of an injury. There''s always one and they seem happy to just pick up the wage." 

I hope Whitbread is not one of those?

We always have one and, over the years, could probably make up a full team of them.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]We always have one and, over the years, could probably make up a full team of them.[/quote]Well, we couldn''t, because they''d always be injured [;)]

[quote user="Beauseant"]

Secondly, I understand that Whitbread is a bit of a party animal who likes the nightlife. Maybe Lambert has non footballing reasons to get rid.

[/quote]Lambert brought him in though, right? In which case you''d have thought he''d done his research on Whitbread''s "personality traits" before he came into the club. Strikes me as strange for Lambert to make such a bad call on a perma-crocked night-clubber. I guess we all make mistakes, even PL!

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]Injury prone FC

X

Helveg Whitbread X Drury

Eadie Emblem X O''Neill

Abbey Giallanza[/quote]Helveg over Louis-Jean???? Don''t think so. How about Jason Jarrett in the other CM position, and at CB that guy we signed from Celtic on loan that had to retire not long ago?And Drury is hardly injury prone, just had one real bad one.

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]Injury prone FC X Helveg Whitbread X Drury Eadie Emblem X O''Neill Abbey Giallanza[/quote]

Peter Thorne was always crocked here, although up and running now.

Cant see this personally. Firstly why would anyone take on the wages of a player that has been injured for a year ( unless of course he is really fit and refusing to play ) and secondly he is under contract so you would think if he was asked to leave we would have to pay up his wages until the end of his contract.  At best there would be a comprimise assuming that he is really injued, but Whitbread would be mad to accept any such deal as he could just sit here and get paid.    

It is difficult to think of a keeper, so Gunny will have to do.

Not injury prone and a stalwart, but we once lost him to injury when it really mattered and we got relegated.

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

Lambert brought him in though, right? In which case you''d have thought he''d done his research on Whitbread''s "personality traits" before he came into the club. Strikes me as strange for Lambert to make such a bad call on a perma-crocked night-clubber. I guess we all make mistakes, even PL!
[/quote]

Are the leg muscle groups used for dancin'' and boppin''......a lot different to those leg muscle groups used for playing football?

Does anyone know when his contract ends?

If it''s something soon like the end of the season we may aswell just let him sit here and release him at the end.

[quote user="Lewie - Holt Our Saviour"]Why would there be rumours on the Millwall forum...... Doesn''t he play for NORWICH?[/quote]He''s ex Millwall. That''s where we got him from. Probably still talks to his old mates there, so it could be accurate.

[quote user="Lewie - Holt Our Saviour"]Still don''t see why millwall fans would really care :P[/quote]Probably the same reason people still post on here about Spillane & Cureton, etc.

Boyo,

''''Whitbread signed for Norwich City on a two-and-a-half year contract on 8 January 2010'''' so he''s got another 18 months left yet.

Thank you CA.  We should try our hardest to sell him then but like others have said, who would want him?

Some players get injured that''s why teams have a squad, it''s part of the game.

Give the guy a break, do you think he is pleased to be in the treatment room?

[quote user="Col Canary"][quote user="Lewie - Holt Our Saviour"]Still don''t see why millwall fans would really care :P[/quote]Probably the same reason people still post on here about Spillane & Cureton, etc.[/quote]Yeah but the only the reason we care, is because Cureton''s rubbish and Spillane is one of our youngsters (Came through the acedemy)

[quote user="Col Canary"]Rumour on Millwall board (HOF) that Whitbread has been told to find another club.
Could be paving the way for a permanent deal for Barnett?
Anyone heard anything?

[/quote]

Well if true, can''t see anyone buying him so could be 18 months on decent money. These players dont walk away from contracts and frankly who can blame them when it is their livelihood? I thought he was getting close to fitness?. I hope so because I think the lad has lots of potential and if he can get a run of games I think he could be the best we have got.   

Earlier poster - a bit harsh on having Zema Abbey in that team, got two dreadful tackles on him - I think one or possibly both at Rotherham as I was there both times he was carried off.

Looked half decent before then - I wouldn''t call him a sicknote.

With being out for so long after supposedly getting injured before a pre season friendly where he didn''t play as a precaution and no reserve games to get a little bit of match fitness when he becomes fit, its looking unlikely that Whitbreads going to do much while he with us!

Getting rid of him and signing Barnett would be a good move !