Sign in to follow this  
e10_yellow

Portman Road derby date change

"but how the the police possibly think it''s better to have this match on a Tharsday night rather than a 1.15pm ko on a Good Friday ?!? "

It could be that there''s rail line works due to be carried out over the bank holiday or some other event local to poorman road that might stretch the police numbers.

I think plod should be a bit more accountable and offer more in the way of explanation.

If only it was the home game.

After the embarrassment of the last time we played em and the abuse and spitting at our fans as they left the ground I''m looking forward to some revenge.......scum scum scum scum scum.........

[quote user="barclaystand"]I bet they moved the date because the paupers couldn''t afford to pay the Police overtime rate for Good Friday!
[/quote]

I think you have hit the nail on the head barclaystand as all Police working on a bank holiday is double time.

Thursday will mean time and a half at the most if they are called in to work on a rest day.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="barclaystand"]I bet they moved the date because the paupers couldn''t afford to pay the Police overtime rate for Good Friday!
[/quote]

I think you have hit the nail on the head barclaystand as all Police working on a bank holiday is double time.

Thursday will mean time and a half at the most if they are called in to work on a rest day.

[/quote]

The Chief Superintendent had booked to have lunch at his mums on Good Friday, and didn''t want to upset her, so changed the date

[quote user="canary_girl"]Wonder if it will be on Sky?[/quote]

Apparently it is now going to be shown on BBC. Very odd. Can''t help feeling that there is some financial incentive happening here somewhere?  

As I understand it, the game was originally scheduled for Saturday at 3pm, then it was moved to Friday at 1.15pm and now it''s been moved again.

Whatever the reason, I''m all in favour.  I''m old enough to remember local derbies on midweek evenings and the atmosphere was absolutely second to none.

Not only that, if it passes off with no serious trouble it makes it more likely that derby games will be played at the scheduled kickoff time in future.  Let''s just hope that the idiots (from both clubs) who turn out on these occasions will realise what''s at stake and behave themselves.

"Apparently it is now going to be shown on BBC. Very odd. Can''t help feeling that there is some financial incentive happening here somewhere?"

Oh right, I knew our game was on the BBC, not like them to show mid-week games, hopefully it will be televised though [:)]

The home game on the 28th November is on the BBC, not seen anything about the away game.

I suggest that the only reason is to save on the pay. It would be double pay for them. The Scum would have to pay for the policing inside the ground, but Suffolk police pay for outside. Being it a derby, they normally have a big contingent and by saving 100 officers on double pay, it is a massive saving.

They should be evening games, hopefully there will be no trouble, then we can have a lot more games in the evening.

The problem there is why has it taken them so long to work that out ?

The fixture date has been known since June, and the switch to Good friday for some while as well .. so why wait till now ?

Why a time that flies in the face of all other previous claims that the game had to be played as early as possible so as to avoid drink related problems (apologies I should say ''issues'' nowadays) ?

On another matter I wonder where the ever loyal binners will find 10,000 more farmhands to fill the ground as currently there are that many empty seats at poorman road, Would it not make sense for the paupers to bung us an extra 2 or 3 thousand tickets. If nothing else it might mean a bit of noise at poorman road - something to help add to the occasion that is their cup final.

ps stattos might care to remind us when last our impoverished neighbours actually had a full house at poorman road and we were not the visitors.

www.pinkun.com/1.710029Ipswich said that "extensive discussions have taken place recently

between Town and Suffolk Constabulary and it has been agreed to bring

the match forward to avoid potential problems and the possible

significantly increased costs
which playing over the Easter holiday

period may have generated."

this is Brilliant! a night Derby game always has a good atmosphere. i cant wait! it might also finally kill off the silly 1:15 sunday kick off times!

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]www.pinkun.com/1.710029Ipswich said that "extensive discussions have taken place recently

between Town and Suffolk Constabulary and it has been agreed to bring

the match forward to avoid potential problems and the possible

significantly increased costs
which playing over the Easter holiday

period may have generated."[/quote]Avoid potential problems ? Presumably by that they mean drinking ? They''re far more likely to create problems by making this an evening KO as there''s more time to get well oiled. Most of us don''t like really early day timeKO''s for reasons other than less drinking time so in that respect I''m glad it''s been moved but don''t let''s kid ourselves that there''ll be less trouble after dark.Perhaps one of the problems has been the practice of  the Suffolk Constabulary to herd all City supporters out into Portman Road after the game for containment before marching us all off to the station and car parks. This would not be so bad but for some reason they then allow Ipswich''s '' finest '' to snarl and spit at us from the car park opposite the stand like some crazed half-wits in a zombie film. The last time we played at Portman Road we all had to stand in the road for some time while the locals, some of whom were so possessed that they were literally foaming at the mouth, were clawing at both the fence and the ground trying to find anything to throw at us. Nice.Of course the main reason it''s been moved is the '' possible significantly increased costs ''. Why they use the word '' possible '' is strange. The costs are either increased or they''re not.Finally the Ipswich spokesperson mentioned travel difficulties - true for a very small number although that is probably the case for any supporter travelling to the re-arranged fixture - and the religious significance of Good Friday ! Clutching at straws perhaps bearing in mind our 24 shopping society, including Christmas Day.......

Can''t see the police logic in this move?

The reason (or rather soft excuse to give them overtime because most of the trouble at Norwich Ips hit games died out in the late 90''s) the cops have changed the Derbies from Saturdays 3pm to Sunday lunchtimes was in order to minmise the potential for trouble with bars not being open, preventing supporters from mingling with shoppers (which in modern times doesn''t apply with shops open on a Sunday nowadays!) and therefore being able to control the supporters more efficiently.

Common sense would indicate that the Thursday before the long 4 day Easter weekend would be the last working day in the week for most people and a lot of people will be going out to bars, restaurants and clubs in Ipswich to have a good session cause of not having to get up for work the next day. Therefore its more likely they''d be trouble on this Thursday night rather than the next day Good Friday.

Yet more evidence on why the Derby game should be on a Saturday at 3pm because the big operation mounted by police combined with over 99% of both sets of fans behaving themselves would mean that a Saturday normal time kick off wouldn''t result in any more trouble than what there is on a Sunday lunchtime kick off time.

In real terms and most fans would agree on this, the Leeds home game with all of their stuck in the mid 80''s s cum element of neanderthals looking to cause s hit is much more of a security risk than the Derby game, yet that is being played on a Saturday afternoon.

I suggest the police should get in the modern age and realise that the Derby game is hyped up beyond belief and while both sets of fans will want to beat their local rivals and enjoy some banter, nearly all of them from both sides are normal decent people who don''t want any trouble  and most of us have friends from the other side anyway!!

I have now had sight of correspondence with Suffolk police which clarifies the reasons for the change of date.

Firstly, it was not the police who wanted the game switched from its original date, Saturday 23rd April.  The police would have been happy with a 12 noon kickoff on Saturday but ITFC did not want this.

It was therefore switched to Friday 22nd because Sunday 23rd was not possible due to Bank Holiday Monday fixtures.  It was then changed to Thursday 21st for two reasons:

i)   To avoid substantial extra policing costs of a bank holiday fixture, which were not felt to be appropriate in the current economic climate.  Although ITFC pays for policing in and around the ground itself, costs of policing elsewhere in the town come out of the public purse.

ii)   Several letters had been received from faith groups expressing concern about a local derby being played on Good Friday in view of the potential for hooliganism.

Hope that''s clear.

[quote user="canary cherub "]

ii)   Several letters had been received from faith groups expressing concern about a local derby being played on Good Friday in view of the potential for hooliganism.

[/quote]Like nailing people to crosses..........

[;)]

I have now had sight of correspondence with Suffolk police which clarifies the reasons for the change of date.

Firstly, it was not the police who wanted the game switched from its original date, Saturday 23rd April.  The police would have been happy with a 12 noon kickoff on Saturday but ITFC did not want this.

It was therefore switched to Friday 22nd because Sunday 23rd was not possible due to Bank Holiday Monday fixtures.  It was then changed to Thursday 21st for two reasons:

i)   To avoid substantial extra policing costs of a bank holiday fixture, which were not felt to be appropriate in the current economic climate.  Although ITFC pays for policing in and around the ground itself, costs of policing elsewhere in the town come out of the public purse.

Hope that''s clear.

[/quote]

So can we presume you work for Suffolk police then Cherub to have sight of that correspondence?

If I did Angel, I wouldn''t have disclosed it - very unprofessional.[/quote]

Thats true, silly me [:$] At least we know who''s to blame now though as we always seem to blame the police.

[/quote]

I reckun that wuz that there cook an'' her cohorts[:@]