Sign in to follow this  
cityislife

Elliot Ward

Malky is not "late" he''s still alive and kicking at Watford, but I know what you mean.

In a list of all our greatest central defenders Malky would be pretty low. He was slowish and not particularly skilfull. He did, however have other attributes which to me added up to a massive mistake by Worthy by unloading him in preparation for Premiership football.

One of Nigel''s biggest  faux pas. Malky''s goals alone would have kept us up. IMHO. 

Fleming was better than Malky if you ask me. Fleming worked well with Jackson before Malky as well.

However - I would say that Ward is starting to look a little like a taller Fleming a sort of best of both.

He has the height and physique to ''bully'' strikers but also has the ability to pass and distribute the ball well, something old Malky was never the best at.

He also seems to have a bit of pace about him as well.

So I would say yes. Probably the best central defender we have had at the club since relegation from the prem.

I really like Elliott Ward.  He is strong, good in the air, he can distribute it well and he gets in an amazing amount of blocks each game.  The same can be said for Barnett, he too is all of those things but is probably stronger in the air than Ward, however I think Ward edges it overall.  These are two really good defenders and I don''t see why the defence makes so many silly mistakes, perhaps a lack of confidence in Ruddy is leading them not to be as decisive as needed?

And to answer the OP, Ward is the best defender we have had since the Prem like others have already said.

A distinct possibility up against a '' late '' ex-player.....

Eerrrmmm............yeah.

I really like Elliot Ward too.

But then as I''ve mentioned elsewhere, he''ll be helped with crowd opinion of him because he''s come in at a good time and people think he''ll be good. And, as my other half indicated when we signed him, he obviously looks the part as well.

To me it''s interesting the way people choose to view players. I have been over this example before on here but I''ll do it again, just for fun. Can you imagine what people would say if Gary Doherty:

• Had already served a suspension for his collection of yellow cars?
  • Had given away a freekick on the edge of the area leading to a goal?
  • Had given away a penalty for handball (however harsh it may have been)?
  • Had been part of a defence that conceded 3 goals in 4 different league matches this season and had already lost 3 home games? 
  • Or even less severe offences like giving the ball away cheaply with loose knocks upfield?

That''s right, he''d have been hammered for it. Even if we were in the same position with him in the team you can be sure that he''d be viewed as a weak link.

Now, one thing Ward is better at is that he''s prepared to dump a player on their arse if he needs to, just for the sake of letting them know he''s there. Which is something you don''t really get from Doc or Nelson, they''re strong defenders but they don''t really have that in their game.

Overall, in my opinion, I think Elliot Ward and Gary Doherty are probably at a very similar level of ability. But whereas Doherty joined the club when it was always liked to go on a downer, Wardy has been lucky enough to join while we''re on the up.

And Ward hasn''t had the inconvenience of playing sh*t up front for 10 games before being put back in his proper position, immediately making people wary of him.

[quote user="GJP"]

Now, one thing Ward is better at is that he''s prepared to dump a player on their arse if he needs to, just for the sake of letting them know he''s there.

[/quote]

That''s the impression I got too which is why I was amazed at this interview on the Beeb. It seems we have a different Elliott Ward to his previous clubs!

Norwich City defender Elliott Ward says he has developed a mean streak since moving to Carrow Road.

After picking up five yellow cards this season, Ward was suspended for the first time in his career and missed Tuesday''s 2-1 defeat by Crystal Palace.

He told BBC Radio Norfolk: "I think you''ve seen a few more tackles from me this season than I normally do.

"It''s a bit of a change in my game, but it''s something I''ve had to do to become a better and more aggressive player."

The 25-year-old, who joined the Canaries in the summer after being released by Coventry, added: "I joked with somebody before that I don''t normally tackle, but I do since I came here."

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="GJP"]

Now, one thing Ward is better at is that he''s prepared to dump a player on their arse if he needs to, just for the sake of letting them know he''s there.

[/quote]

That''s the impression I got too which is why I was amazed at this interview on the Beeb. It seems we have a different Elliott Ward to his previous clubs!

Norwich City defender Elliott Ward says he has developed a mean streak since moving to Carrow Road.

After picking up five yellow cards this season, Ward was suspended for the first time in his career and missed Tuesday''s 2-1 defeat by Crystal Palace.

He told BBC Radio Norfolk: "I think you''ve seen a few more tackles from me this season than I normally do.

"It''s a bit of a change in my game, but it''s something I''ve had to do to become a better and more aggressive player."

The 25-year-old, who joined the Canaries in the summer after being released by Coventry, added: "I joked with somebody before that I don''t normally tackle, but I do since I came here."

[/quote]

Ha. Cool.

It really is showing through in his game.

[quote user="GJP"]

I really like Elliot Ward too.

But then as I''ve mentioned elsewhere, he''ll be helped with crowd opinion of him because he''s come in at a good time and people think he''ll be good. And, as my other half indicated when we signed him, he obviously looks the part as well.

To me it''s interesting the way people choose to view players. I have been over this example before on here but I''ll do it again, just for fun. Can you imagine what people would say if Gary Doherty:

• Had already served a suspension for his collection of yellow cars?
  • Had given away a freekick on the edge of the area leading to a goal?
  • Had given away a penalty for handball (however harsh it may have been)?
  • Had been part of a defence that conceded 3 goals in 4 different league matches this season and had already lost 3 home games? 
  • Or even less severe offences like giving the ball away cheaply with loose knocks upfield?

That''s right, he''d have been hammered for it. Even if we were in the same position with him in the team you can be sure that he''d be viewed as a weak link.

Now, one thing Ward is better at is that he''s prepared to dump a player on their arse if he needs to, just for the sake of letting them know he''s there. Which is something you don''t really get from Doc or Nelson, they''re strong defenders but they don''t really have that in their game.

Overall, in my opinion, I think Elliot Ward and Gary Doherty are probably at a very similar level of ability. But whereas Doherty joined the club when it was always liked to go on a downer, Wardy has been lucky enough to join while we''re on the up.

[/quote]

Oh dear.

[quote user="GJP"]what people would say if Gary Doherty:

• Had already served a suspension for his collection of yellow cars? [/quote]
They''d correctly point out that it would be the most bizarre suspension ever  :-P

I think Ward is an odd fish. His tackling and positional play can be excellent, as can his first touch.

However, his distribution can be really poor sometimes and this was especially evident today.

There was one really high ball he controlled with a lovely deft touch on the edge of their area which he then proceeded to pass straight to a Burnley player. Time and again he (and Barnett) hoofed the ball up the field towards Holt rather than looking for a wide player.

I like his attitude and he strikes me as a natural captain (if Holt if out for any reason), it''s just that his tactical decisions and distribution leave a bit to be desired.