Sign in to follow this  
Clint

Lets Get One Thing Straight.....

......according to the posters on this board, Elliott Ward is a premier league centre half, Leon Barnett is brilliant and we should snap him up in Jan, Russell Martin is having the best season ever and Steven Smith is not bad either.

But we keep letting in p*ss poor goals! So what is the problem? Surely we should be keeping clean sheet after clean sheet with our defence?

I actually agree with the first 3 points I raised above re Ward, Barnett and Martin. Smith, I''m far from convinced by and actually thought Martin looked better at left back in the 2nd half than Smith did in the first today.

So if the defense is so good, surely the problem must be Ruddy? I know there''s another thread saying it was his mistake for the 2nd goal, which I''m not sure about but he just fills me with no confidence. I think its fair to make this judgement after 15 games.

He seems to be static and stuck to his line. He never comes for crosses, doesn''t command his defence well at all and just makes me nervous. And iIf he makes me nervous, I expect he makes the defence likewise.

A nervous defence who is not organised by or confident in their keeper is a c*ap one and perhaps that''s why our individually good defence keeps playing like an extremely poor one.

Anyway, just my thoughts but I would be inclined to give someone else a go.....

I still dont rate Steven Smith....Well with ol Ruddy one of the boot boys is having a laugh and attaching adheasive to the bottom of his boots pre match.Either that or hes scared of leaving his line....

For that matter... what on earth were the TWO ( not one ) passes across and open net about today ? Shocking

I completely agree with you Clint and I said the same thing in another thread earlier on during the week. 

Lets take our first choice defence line of R.Martin, Ward, Barnett and Drury.  This is a very good defence and one that we should be proud of however we are still making loads of mistakes.  Mistakes are usually made due to a lack of decisiveness or a lack of confidence.  The defence never know whether Ruddy is coming or not which is where the lack of decisiveness comes from and when they do get a shout how can they be confident that Ruddy is actually going to claim the cross?  This is where the lack of confidence comes from.  Ruddy is having a big effect on our defence and Rudd needs to at least be given a try.

And as for you point about Steven Smith, I really don''t know what to make of him.  When he is one on one with an attacker he gets twisted and turned so easily.  I don''t think it helps having Lappin in front of him though.  Lappin should be protecting S.Smith but instead he gets drawn inside so easily and leaves S.Smith (or Drury) exposed to the opposition right winger.

Having said all this though, you can''t blame Ruddy for the gaping big hole that Ward and Barnett left for Paterson to run into.  Most of the defensive mistakes though are made from crosses where you can blame Ruddy.

Smith looked very poor today- his defending wasn''t good enough, and he seemed limited in possession, as he either played it backwards or played a long ball.Ruddy doesn''t fill the fans (or me, at least) with confidence, nor the defence it seems. There were no glaring errors today, but could he have done with the second goal? Maybe that''s a bit harsh- but I would have more faith in Declan Rudd, personally.Barnett is a good centre back at this level and we do need to sign him, but Ward is nothing more than ''decent'' for me. Premier League standard? Not a chance.