Sign in to follow this  
Sing up the river end

Am I a football fan?

Had to laugh today.Was on the way home and I fell asleep on the train.Whilst waiting for the journey back again I got talking ot a derby fan that was also a  reporter.He mentioned something about what happened in a game in midweek in the chequebook league.I said i don''t watch it.I said I only watch Norwich and England.His reply was your not a proper football fan.The guy behind the bar agreed with him.Am I missing something here ? I''m a season ticket holder at Norwich and go to most England games but according to someone from the press on the grounds I don''t support sky and the premier league I''m not a football fan.Are these people so single minded towards the overpaid pre madonnas that are  the prem they can''t see past it or am I missing something here ?

More of a footy fan than he''ll ever be! I only ever watch NCFC and am not even bothered about England. I dont understand how people have a ''''second team'''' either. Why would you support 2 teams? Surely supporting one club means you are loyal to them?

Presumably what he is saying is that you are a Norwich/England fan, as opposed to a fan of the sport of football. Suggesting that the proper football fan who simply loves the sport will watch any game, irregardless of whoever is playing. Thus you are simply a Norwich/England fan as you are only prepared to watch certain matches.It''s just his opinion.

[quote user="Sing up the river end "]Are these people so single minded towards the overpaid pre madonnas that are  the prem they can''t see past it or am I missing something here ?[/quote]Agreed.  I''m almost like a virgin when it comes to Champions League games.

[quote user="Sing up the river end "]Had to laugh today.Was on the way home and I fell asleep on the train.Whilst waiting for the journey back again I got talking ot a derby fan that was also a  reporter.He mentioned something about what happened in a game in midweek in the chequebook league.
I said i don''t watch it.I said I only watch Norwich and England.His reply was your not a proper football fan.The guy behind the bar agreed with him.Am I missing something here ? I''m a season ticket holder at Norwich and go to most England games but according to someone from the press on the grounds I don''t support sky and the premier league I''m not a football fan.
Are these people so single minded towards the overpaid pre madonnas that are  the prem they can''t see past it or am I missing something here ?
[/quote]

Your probably more of a football fan than he is!

I never argue about football with people who only watch games on TV cause in my opinion they are just TV fans and myself going to 30 plus Norwich games a season am more of a fan than them and have a better understanding of the game!

I even respect S cum supporters who go and watch them more than TV fans and people who fairweather/ gloryhunter support big clubs!

Couldn''t give a toss about the over hyped cheque book league, If that doesn''t make me a football fan then so be it.

I''m sorry grantroederdisaster but I disagree that because you go to the game, you have a better understanding of the game than people who watch it on tv. The only thing that I believe to be able to gauge better from being there is the overall shape of the game because the TV cameras rarely pan out enough to see the whole pitch.My opinion is that when you watch a game on TV you can see and pick up a lot more than you can at the game. You can see if decisions were correct, you can see what really happened, and you can see replays of everything that''s happened. I''m sure there''s been many a time at the game where you or a friend has gone "Can''t wait to see that on TV later and see if it was right." I know I have.I am a season ticket holder, and would much rather go to a game than watch it on TV, you just can''t beat it, but I don''t believe that because I go to the match, I have a better understanding of the game than people who watch it on TV.I think the point the guy was trying to make to the OP was that he wasn''t a fan of all football. I would just ignore it OP, if you''re happy with just Norwich and England then that''s all that matters. I like to watch all football but I wouldn''t say that makes me a fan of all football. I normally have to put a bet on or something to make it interesting.

See your point Viper but in my opinion those who go to live games and fully take in the whole matchday experience have more knowledge of what its all about than those who don''t. I like cricket but have been to very few games so I''d consider those who go regularly as having a better understanding than myself!

I feel privaleged that I never fell into the fairweather gloryhunter category at any stage of my life even in my youth. I''ve fully embraced what its like to follow my club home and away, through thick and thin and understand most of what Norwich City FC is about and how it ticks!

I pity those who follow a top club from afar never going and haven''t enjoyed the real passion and understanding that I and many other thousands across the Country have.

Its not about supporting other teams, its a general interest in football, which of course you can have by just watching your team and nation.

Last season, i watched pretty much every Barca game (pretty much every Barca and Madrid game are on sky....missed a few at the end of the season when Sky sports got taken away from me :P), and i often watched other premire league games, sometimes even other lower league games. And i check football news in general (which means 90% prem) on BBC etc. But just because i do all of that, doesn''t mean i''m a better football fan than you, it just means my interest widens to the whole sport more than yours....

JF, isn''t your comment a bit redundant? how do you know its overhyped, if you don''t give a toss about it...because presumably you don''t watch any games, so can''t judge the quality (and it is the best league in the world, it is getting more open, probably because the ''big 4'' that where are spending less now, while Man.C and Spurs to some extent are spending more, and then teams like Everton and villa (who aren''t doing well under Houllier at all...) are all able to put up really good performances and get results against any team in the league....Look at Man.U, can only just beat Wolves and scrape draws agains WBA...When Chelsea lose 2/3 starting players, they start to look average, Liverlose are just not worth mentioning, and Arsenal have injury problems all season, every season..... Its ''becoming'' more like the championship i think, Chelsea will win this season, but unless they get 2/3 very good youth players come through, and sign a couple more stars, they won''t next season, same for Man.U,which means Man.C and Spurs could actually do it next yeah....

[quote user="Gingerpele"]JF, isn''t your comment a bit redundant? how do you know its overhyped, if you don''t give a toss about it...because presumably you don''t watch any games, so can''t judge the quality (and it is the best league in the world, it is getting more open, probably because the ''big 4'' that where are spending less now, while Man.C and Spurs to some extent are spending more, and then teams like Everton and villa (who aren''t doing well under Houllier at all...) are all able to put up really good performances and get results against any team in the league....Look at Man.U, can only just beat Wolves and scrape draws agains WBA...When Chelsea lose 2/3 starting players, they start to look average, Liverlose are just not worth mentioning, and Arsenal have injury problems all season, every season..... Its ''becoming'' more like the championship i think, Chelsea will win this season, but unless they get 2/3 very good youth players come through, and sign a couple more stars, they won''t next season, same for Man.U,which means Man.C and Spurs could actually do it next yeah....[/quote]You should apply for a job at Sky mate! I do watch some PL football and you are right in saying it is getting more open, even though to date only 4 teams have ever won it and that doesn''t look like changing anytime soon. However my not giving a toss about it comes with the over the top media hype and the pathetic amounts of money being thrown at very average players.

Sing Up The River End- Id also argue you wernt really a football fan, and that you were a Norwich/England fan. Not saying thats a bad thing, but How can you be a football fan if you dont enjoy/watch easily the best league in the world?

Id say I was a football fan, I watch whatever match is on live, whether it be Madrid-Barca or Southport-Wednesday!

Also CallsignViper I dont agree with "I''m sorry grantroederdisaster but I disagree that because you go to the game, you have a better understanding of the game than people who watch it on tv" Your saying if my old girl spent a year watching live matches at Carrow Rd and I watched them on TV, she''d have more of an understanding about me. Just because people attend football matches doesnt mean they know their football!