Sign in to follow this  
Tony Cottee Woz Ere . . .

Simon Lappin

Once again what does this guy add to the team? Goals? No. Pace? No. Killer Passes? No. Physical presence? No. Tackling and breaking up play? No. What serious impact does this guy ever make on the pitch? Please, someone help me out here. Oh and holt needs to be dropped. Thanks. That is all.

Have to agree with you about Lappin, works hard but offers very little quality and his delivery is very often disappointing. Need Surman fit quickly, Lappin would have been on the bench anyway if Surman was fit. Typical of our luck with him being our big signing of the summer getting injured for such a long time.As for Holty I''m still not sure, doesn''t seem to win much in the air for a big guy and seems to spend most of his time whingeing to the ref. I like him in many ways because of his wholehearted attitude but I think we will live to regret not bringing in another big guy to offer some competition for his place.

My main complaint about Lappin is his inability to fizz a ball across with any venom. Every single cross seems to be lofted and too deep. Defenders love to deal with those balls all day long because they have so much time to set themselves to deal with it.Last season, McNamee consistantly failed to beat the first man. Now, he''s fizzing the balls across and nearly every single cross looks dangerous. A vast improvement I feel.

[quote user="fearofambition"]Once again what does this guy add to the team? Goals? No. Pace? No. Killer Passes? No. Physical presence? No. Tackling and breaking up play? No. What serious impact does this guy ever make on the pitch? Please, someone help me out here. Oh and holt needs to be dropped. Thanks. That is all.[/quote]

I agree. Please get well soon Surman

Has a touch of the Phil Mulrynes. Can play pretty looking balls and Hollywood passes but too often lack any pace. They''re just loftily teased into the box.

I don''t think he''s a bad player but I think we have better in our squad

[quote user="CallsignViper"]My main complaint about Lappin is his inability to fizz a ball across with any venom. Every single cross seems to be lofted and too deep. Defenders love to deal with those balls all day long because they have so much time to set themselves to deal with it.

Last season, McNamee consistantly failed to beat the first man. Now, he''s fizzing the balls across and nearly every single cross looks dangerous. A vast improvement I feel.
[/quote]Really? I thought his crossing was dreadful yesterday. He beat his man often very well, but did he find a Norwich head once? He shot into the defenders legs about 3 times, and just his general crossing was poor I feel.

Simon Lappin is never that great but never that bad. This consistency combined with his desire to do well and never go missing in a game is the reason he has been playing regularly since Surman got injured!

As for Holt to be dropped - Get real!

Chris Martin can''t do what Holt does best which is being a physical nuisance to the oppositions defence which creates openings for Norwich. I couldn''t agree more that we need a targetman striker who can give Holt serious competition for his place but as it is at present without Holt in the team we''d be much worse off!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

Simon Lappin is never that great but never that bad. This consistency combined with his desire to do well and never go missing in a game is the reason he has been playing regularly since Surman got injured!

Chris Martin can''t do what Holt does best which is being a physical nuisance to the oppositions defence which creates openings for Norwich. I couldn''t agree more that we need a targetman striker who can give Holt serious competition for his place but as it is at present without Holt in the team we''d be much worse off!

[/quote]How about this for a shout :

Chris Martin wins more headers/is better in the air than Holt, which seems to be Grant''s "main attribute". Seriously, I mean it. Martin fights for headers, then does what Holt doesn''t. JUMP. [:S]

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

[/quote]How about this for a shout :

Chris Martin wins more headers/is better in the air than Holt, which seems to be Grant''s "main attribute". Seriously, I mean it. Martin fights for headers, then does what Holt doesn''t. JUMP. [:S]

Lappin is your ubiquitous and actually damn near perfect squad player.

He

• knows he is not a starting 11 player
  • despite that he continues to give 100% every game 
  • has a superb attitude off and on pitch which gels the squad rather than causing problems behind the scenes
  • provides good cover in central and left midfield and at left back
  • is only playing because of Surmans injury
  • will slot in at left back on Tues
  • is consistent - never brilliant but rarely poor, which means the manager can trust him completely - as can his fellow players

And in comparison to the options Lappin is right choice for our team - others have been tried in his place and proved more ineffective - an easy fact to forget. 

Rather than wanting him to be something he is not we should simply recognise what Simon Lappin gives us more.

Come back quickly surman - but in the meantime Lapps fills the void.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Lappin is your ubiquitous and actually damn near perfect squad player.

He

• knows he is not a starting 11 player
  • despite that he continues to give 100% every game 
  • has a superb attitude off and on pitch which gels the squad rather than causing problems behind the scenes
  • provides good cover in central and left midfield and at left back
  • is only playing because of Surmans injury
  • will slot in at left back on Tues
  • is consistent - never brilliant but rarely poor, which means the manager can trust him completely - as can his fellow players

And in comparison to the options Lappin is right choice for our team - others have been tried in his place and proved more ineffective - an easy fact to forget. 

Rather than wanting him to be something he is not we should simply recognise what Simon Lappin gives us more.

Come back quickly surman - but in the meantime Lapps fills the void.

[/quote]Was he giving 100% in midfield yesterday?  As he looked like he was asleep as Burnley strked the ball about in midfield leading up to their two goals!

I thought he was slightly unlucky to be taken off yesterday. I''d have dropped him to left back and taken of Steven Smith at half time. S Smith is looking too lightweight to me, there are times when he hasn''t committed himself like Adam Drury would have done. To me he looks a decent player but not a player who is really going to go in where it hurts and take one for the team,

Back to Lappin... he''s a good footballer but he just doesn''t give you enough going forward. Yes, he can put a nice ball into the box with his left foot but he doesn''t have enough about him to really hurt the other team down that wing. Having said that, he is better when he''s working with Drury.

But then if you look at the right side of the midfield is Korey Smith doing any better on the right than Lappin is doing on the left? No, not really. Korey will run all day long but his actual contribution to the way the team move the ball around is becoming more of a worry as the season goes on. In terms of having influence on the game I think he''s looking out of his depth at this level. You can see a clear difference when we''ve got McNamee on the right wing, he''s much, much better at link up play with his team mates and worrying defenders.

Korey has got a bit more pace than Lappin but Lappin has got a better football brain.  I don''t think either of them are good enough for a team who want to compete at the top end of the Championship.

[quote user="GJP"]

I thought he was slightly unlucky to be taken off yesterday. I''d have dropped him to left back and taken of Steven Smith at half time. S Smith is looking too lightweight to me, there are times when he hasn''t committed himself like Adam Drury would have done. To me he looks a decent player but not a player who is really going to go in where it hurts and take one for the team,

Back to Lappin... he''s a good footballer but he just doesn''t give you enough going forward. Yes, he can put a nice ball into the box with his left foot but he doesn''t have enough about him to really hurt the other team down that wing. Having said that, he is better when he''s working with Drury.

But then if you look at the right side of the midfield is Korey Smith doing any better on the right than Lappin is doing on the left? No, not really. Korey will run all day long but his actual contribution to the way the team move the ball around is becoming more of a worry as the season goes on. In terms of having influence on the game I think he''s looking out of his depth at this level. You can see a clear difference when we''ve got McNamee on the right wing, he''s much, much better at link up play with his team mates and worrying defenders.

Korey has got a bit more pace than Lappin but Lappin has got a better football brain.  I don''t think either of them are good enough for a team who want to compete at the top end of the Championship.

[/quote]So you would have moved somebody who rarely wins a tackle to left back?  Oh dear!Hopefully Drury and Surman will be back soon.  We can then play Surman either on the left, or elsewhere if needs be and use Smith on the left of midfield in front of Drury if we want to tighten things up during a game.We were lightweight in midfield yesterday and Lappin was a major reason for this.  He doesn''t offer you as much as a Surman or Hoolahan creatively and he doesn''t offer as much as a Crofts or a Korey defensively.  Lappin looked asleeep as Burnley stroked the ball around their midfield with ease in the build up to their two goals yesterday.All fair criticism I think you will find from somebody who LOVES HIM?

Did anyone see the Everton/Newcastle pre season games? Holt was out injured and Jackson/Martin played up front together.

Worked out quite well and saw some of the same again today, but seperatly. Jackson has an amazing leap for such a small guy, and would say he may even have got more headers than Holty. Might work with him as target man, no one will suspect it and Martin can still play off the ''big man''.

I must have missed the OP''s tenure as England manager?Lambert think''s Lappin (and Holt) is the best option and that''s good enough for me.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]I must have missed the OP''s tenure as England manager?Lambert think''s Lappin (and Holt) is the best option and that''s good enough for me.[/quote]

You obviously missed my tenure as norwich manager on fm 2010 where i took us to the premier league in 3 straight seasons consolidating in a respectable 12th position. I think that says it all really, and you will be pleased to know i have made delia and co. aware of my incredible achievements, so basically, watch this space...............