Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

Ruddy Mistake again!

As someones else has said he should never have been allowed through one on one with Ruddy, the fact that Pattersons shot was fairly soft, I think, has gone against Ruddy as the shot was weak and he got a touch on it but not enough to keep it out. Had Paterson have chipped him or smashed it in to the top corner we would all be complaining about the defence instead

[quote user="Coelho"][quote user="Beauseant"]

Let''s go the whole hog and blame him for both World Wars and the credit crunch. Has it occurred to some of the morons who can''t wait to stick the knife in that the groundswell of concern every time the ball goes near him isn''t going to do too much for the poor lad''s confidence?

He could be a really good keeper, but this hate campaign sickens me. I have nothing against Rudd, but unlike a section on here I don''t back my divine intuition to the extent of deciding that I''m "more confident with" a teenager who has played virtually no first team football.

[/quote]
Sorry Beau, but I reserve the right to share my opinion that he is not confident or dominant enough in his decision-making. He got a great reception from the Barclay when we changed end prior to the kick-off, and I don''t hear him copping a great deal of stick during the games themselves. I''ll always support him when I''m watching the team play, but I still see him as a major weakness in our team, and I can only hope that he will improve with time. I think we were spoilt with Fraser last season, and that certainly hasn''t help to hide Ruddy''s inadequacies. With every position on the field, nobody should be guaranteed a starting place.
[/quote]

Fair comment, and I wasn''t really aiming my comments at you.He isn''t the finished product by any means and there are parts of his game that concern me, but I get so annoyed at the deification of Rudd (who I think is an excellent,though unproven talent) and the attempts to blame Ruddy even when he''s not at fault. The defence sold him out twice for the second goal, first by parting like the Red Sea and then, when he made a superb reflex save at close range, not sprinting back to cover. If they had he would have bought enough time to get it hacked clear.

I don''t think Ruddy is a very good goal keeper and I would like to see Rudd given a shot and IMO everything Coelho says is right, however he is definately not to blame for the second goal.  If he had made that save then everyone would be saying what a great save it was but because he nearly pulled it off and it dribbled in you are saying it''s his fault!  What about the gaping big hole Ward and Barnett left Paterson!?!?

If your going to criticise him then do it about things that are actually true e.g. him not coming for crosses and not controlling the area.

[quote user="Boyo"]

I don''t think Ruddy is a very good goal keeper and I would like to see Rudd given a shot and IMO everything Coelho says is right, however he is definately not to blame for the second goal.  If he had made that save then everyone would be saying what a great save it was but because he nearly pulled it off and it dribbled in you are saying it''s his fault!  What about the gaping big hole Ward and Barnett left Paterson!?!?

If your going to criticise him then do it about things that are actually true e.g. him not coming for crosses and not controlling the area.

[/quote]This I do agree with. He doesnt fill me with any confidence when crosses go into our box.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Coelho"][quote user="Beauseant"]

Let''s go the whole hog and blame him for both World Wars and the credit crunch. Has it occurred to some of the morons who can''t wait to stick the knife in that the groundswell of concern every time the ball goes near him isn''t going to do too much for the poor lad''s confidence?

He could be a really good keeper, but this hate campaign sickens me. I have nothing against Rudd, but unlike a section on here I don''t back my divine intuition to the extent of deciding that I''m "more confident with" a teenager who has played virtually no first team football.

[/quote]Sorry Beau, but I reserve the right to share my opinion that he is not confident or dominant enough in his decision-making. He got a great reception from the Barclay when we changed end prior to the kick-off, and I don''t hear him copping a great deal of stick during the games themselves. I''ll always support him when I''m watching the team play, but I still see him as a major weakness in our team, and I can only hope that he will improve with time. I think we were spoilt with Fraser last season, and that certainly hasn''t help to hide Ruddy''s inadequacies. With every position on the field, nobody should be guaranteed a starting place.[/quote]

Fair comment, and I wasn''t really aiming my comments at you.He isn''t the finished product by any means and there are parts of his game that concern me, but I get so annoyed at the deification of Rudd (who I think is an excellent,though unproven talent) and the attempts to blame Ruddy even when he''s not at fault. The defence sold him out twice for the second goal, first by parting like the Red Sea and then, when he made a superb reflex save at close range, not sprinting back to cover. If they had he would have bought enough time to get it hacked clear.

[/quote]Yeah, I agree with all that, except I don''t think it''s so much ''deification'' of Rudd, simply that he is our number-two goalkeeper and our number-one goalkeeper is (arguably) not performing very well at present. The ''excellent though unproven'' argument is no problem in my opinion; if Lambert is happy for him to be the number-two goalkeeper in the squad, then surely he''d be happy to put him in goal if Ruddy was injured or suspended? So why not if Ruddy is out of form? If he''s not ready for first-team football, send him out on loan and get another keeper in. As I''ve said previously I''d stick with Ruddy for now, but many more leaden-footed ''shall-I-shan''t I'' moments and I''d give him a rest, personally. Marshall and Green built good careers for themselves off the back of coming into the first team at a young age, and historically our record of producing young goalkeepers is very good.

I suggest you pick up a copy of Kevin Drinkells book and read about the stick Gunny got when he replaced Woods (i know Benstead initially replaced Woods)  apparently had there been message boards in them days it would have read just like this thread.

Ruddy is far from the perfect keeper but he''s not bad and should only get better given time and a chance.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Just seen the goals, Ruddy definitely at fault for Burnley''s second.  Christ alive, how many mistakes can he make and how many points can he cost us before the management team realises that he''s costing us points?

Helllooooooo, wakey, wakey

[:@][:@][:@]

[/quote]Not at the match then? Can''t quite work out how you say Ruddy is at fault when he was left horrendously exposed by his defence, and was one-on-one with a very good finisher. I was sitting directly behind the goal and thought Ruddy did pretty well to get as much on the ball as he did, he was just fairly unlucky that the ball squirmed under him and also added some backspin that helped it over the line.One thing I said to the people around me is why the hell weren''t the defence chasing back to clear the ball? Without doubt one of the two centre backs could have given Ruddy some cover and hacked the ball away, but chose to sit and ball watch (which presumably is why the keeper was put in that position in the first place).

Don''t think he was at fault for the second goal -  as has been said - still not confident in his decision making though.Hope he gets used to it here, and I have criticised him - he just seems nervy - hope he gets over it.Maybe we need an experienced loan keeper in the background - as well as providing competition  (I know wee have a goalkeeping coach) but maybe that would help Ruddy too.

[quote user="65Vintage"]Don''t think he was at fault for the second goal -  as has been said - still not confident in his decision making though.

Hope he gets used to it here, and I have criticised him - he just seems nervy - hope he gets over it.

Maybe we need an experienced loan keeper in the background - as well as providing competition  (I know wee have a goalkeeping coach) but maybe that would help Ruddy too.

[/quote]

Starting position isn''t great , sits very deep. Had the free kick after Crofts was sent off gone in would have had to blame Ruddy, he should be claiming those.

Still not sure to be honest. Looking at the second goal tonight on Sky, I think he will be dissapointed, although at the time looked like a decent effort to save it.

I have a feeling that Rudd is going to be in soon.

Never mind folks Robert Green will be back next season, Well perhaps for 1 match anyway, Come on folks, a Keeper is only as good as his defence, the big big problem is Key defenders missing.

Ruddy was not at fault for the second goal at all. Paterson was left one on one with him from close range and he half saved it and was unlucky it crept in. He is not the best goalkeeper but neither is he the worst

I have been saying for most of this season that I consider Rudd to be a better keeper than Ruddy.Another case of certain players seeming un-dropable???I will ask Beau and Gazza if they have seen the 2nd goal again yet and are still of the opinion that Ruddy was not to blame at all for it?

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Ruddy was not at fault for the second goal at all. Paterson was left one on one with him from close range and he half saved it and was unlucky it crept in. He is not the best goalkeeper but neither is he the worst[/quote]Poor defending, but Ruddy got his hand to a shot that was not exactly hit with ferocity and was not the best of finishes either.Watch it again - it went straight through the keeper.  Ruddy got his hands to it and could have even held the shot.  At the very least it should have been pushed around the post.Time to give Declan a run of a month or more in the team for me.

[quote user="Largey"]Give me one reason as to why Ruddy should be dropped for Rudd?[/quote]

Because he''s playing cr*p?

He isn''t really though is he? I think goalkeepijg is a confidence thing as much as ability, and he isn''t helped by the doom-mongers who ''ooh'' and ''ash'' whenever he has the ball, and also shout at him when he doesn''t bowl the ball out straight away. I thought his passing at the back with the defence instead of hoofing it showed confidence.

I can''t believe i''m going to say this, but in my opinion Smudger has it spot on.

The defending was terrible, but the shot was poorly placed, went straight through the ''keeper, and if you get that much contact on the ball you have to be keeping it out.

I don''t agree with dropping him just yet though. All that''ll achieve is to further damage his already low confidence, but he certainly needs to be doing better, and soon.

Sorry, but you simply can''t criticise Ruddy.  For anything.  He''s our #1 keeper and we must all be behind him 100%.  He doesn''t make mistakes, he''s just unlucky.Grant Holt''s fair game though, try slating him and you''ll get a rousing reception from the same people, ironically enough.

He doesn''t make mistakes, he is just unlucky?  He seems to be making a habit of being unlucky doesn''t he - that is at least 3 or 4 times in what 12 or 13 games?I would suggest that it is Declan Rudd who is unlucky to be warming the bench, when he has never let us down, for a keeper who is not as good as him.I would also suggest that if Ruddy really was a great keeper then Moyes and Chris Woods would never have let him go.

[quote user="Smudger"]He doesn''t make mistakes, he is just unlucky?  He seems to be making a habit of being unlucky doesn''t he - that is at least 3 or 4 times in what 12 or 13 games?I would suggest that it is Declan Rudd who is unlucky to be warming the bench, when he has never let us down, for a keeper who is not as good as him.I would also suggest that if Ruddy really was a great keeper then Moyes and Chris Woods would never have let him go.[/quote]Smudge - I was taking the p*ss.  It''s just that you can''t knock Ruddy because he''s our first choice, and we have to move on.  But you can knock Grant Holt.

Ruddy seems to be the marmite player at the moment. He was everyones hero after a penalty save against Swansea (that win is looking better every week) and everyones villain after his piss-up against Leicester. He is building an understanding with his defense now, and looks much more confident as the games go on. I fail to see how replacing him now with Rudd will aid the team, but hey that''s why I am not the manager!

[quote user="Largey"]Give me one reason as to why Ruddy should be dropped for Rudd?[/quote]

Because Ruddy is putting doubt into our defence which is costing us goals and this needs to be sorted out fast.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Smudger"]He doesn''t make mistakes, he is just unlucky?  He seems to be making a habit of being unlucky doesn''t he - that is at least 3 or 4 times in what 12 or 13 games?I would suggest that it is Declan Rudd who is unlucky to be warming the bench, when he has never let us down, for a keeper who is not as good as him.I would also suggest that if Ruddy really was a great keeper then Moyes and Chris Woods would never have let him go.[/quote]Smudge - I was taking the p*ss.  It''s just that you can''t knock Ruddy because he''s our first choice, and we have to move on.  But you can knock Grant Holt.[/quote]Oh I see - it''s similar to the can''t drop Holty because he is the only target man that we have and our captain brigade?I think that too many of our players who have been here a while are allowed to get away with poor display after poor display, while any new signing we have or youth player coming through the ranks is instantly pounced on after just one poor performance.Is this just a Norwich thing?  Because with a ruthless manager like Lambo in charge I was hoping that we would not be facing up to such issues anymore.  Hopefully he will have took the hint that the crowd gave when Jacko was withdrawn for Martin so that Holt could stay on the pitch Saturday.  I am sure that if Jacko and Martin are paired upfront on Tuesday night then they will be absolutely slaughtered by many of our "I''m a better fan than you brigade" if they haven''t got a goal each by the hour mark though?They need to be given the best part of 5 hours football together at least to make a judgement on them as a potential partnership in my opinion, yet the majority of our fans were happy to write them off based on the evidence of just 90 mins @ home to Watford where there was much else wrong with our performance that night.

[quote user="Boyo"]

Because Ruddy is putting doubt into our defence which is costing us goals and this needs to be sorted out fast.

[/quote]I''m so glad that somebody else can see this Boyo... [Y]