Sign in to follow this  
Captain Holt

Enough with the Grant Holt Rubbish.

Boyo, not sure I agree with everything you''ve said there, but I do agree that Holt simply has not looked a threat since he scored against Palace.

Not sure about Grant Holt being out of his depth at Championship level. But if we think that it shows that our expectations have already reached unrealistic levels. Last time we were in the Championship the closest we had to a target man was sticking Darel Russell up there. Now he was out of his depth as a target man in the Championship. We have since been relegated and we are now back, stronger than we were, and with the best range of strikers we have had since Worthy was manager. Rome wasn''t built in a day!

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Cluckbert Chase"]Poor old Holt.... hero to zero in a matter of moments.He basically gets the team back into Div.2 where we are in touch with the promotion places..... he''s scored and created vital goals already... and is an inspiration to everyone on the pitch.  Couple this with young Martin''s early season comments that the team "should not just rely on himself and Holt for goals this season".... and there you have it.Ludicrous and naive expectations just one season after being at our lowest ebb for 50 years ..... and if you carry on like that you''ll blow the ship out of the water and drive a superb manager/coaching staff away.What you will have left would be what you deserve.....yet again.[/quote]Is this based on your evidence of seeing Holty play how many times this season Cluck?[/quote]Rather hypocritical from you Smudger.... Forgotten already what many said about you not so long back?  Look at the league table and look at the stats.... and to coin a phrase, ''if it ain''t broke don''t fix it''. We''re 7th and you should be satisfied.

Sounds to me like you''ve lost your way somewhat.......[/quote]haha nice comeback... [:D]You were always a bit weak on the football tactics topics though weren''t you Cluck?  Maybe you should stick to focusing on events in the boardroom?Holt is out of his depth trying to play 90 mins week in week out at this level - at least for a team with aspirations of the play-offs.Maybe you are advocating that we just be happy with midtable consolidation?  If that is the case then I would say that it is you who has finally dumbed down their aspirations to fit in with the majority?  I believe that Jackson and Martin are both better players than Holt.  I also believe that they haven''t been given enough time on the pitch playing alongside eachother, for anybody to draw a conclusion that we can''t do better than we are doing now with Holty spending some time on the bench/or being withdrawn after 60 to 70 mins in games [/quote]I may know bugger all about tactics.... but I always remember those who have given their all to the club. I think Paul Lambert knows what is the best thing to do with his players... and I''m happy to leave him to it....Contrary to advocating  ''mid-table consolidation''... I am just being realistic as usual. Look back to a time when you were getting slagged off left right and centre on here, to where we are now.... haven''t things improved wildly beyond everyone''s expectations since then?I suspect you are hoping for a D-Cup breast to pop out of a B-Cup bra. Over expectation like that is certain to bring about disappointment .... and in my view a B-Cup is good enough to be going on with for now.....

[/quote]On the contrary Cluck, a D-Cup would be far too big for me to deal with.  I only have little hands! [;)]I''m also more of a bum and leg man myself.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Playing Martin and Jackson as a strike force eh Smudge?

Glad you''re not our manager mate![/quote]Glad your not too persisting in playing players who are clearly not up to the job.We currenlty are carrying about 3 individuals per match and you can''t afford to carry players at this level if you have play-off aspirations.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Cluckbert Chase"]Poor old Holt.... hero to zero in a matter of moments.He basically gets the team back into Div.2 where we are in touch with the promotion places..... he''s scored and created vital goals already... and is an inspiration to everyone on the pitch.  Couple this with young Martin''s early season comments that the team "should not just rely on himself and Holt for goals this season".... and there you have it.Ludicrous and naive expectations just one season after being at our lowest ebb for 50 years ..... and if you carry on like that you''ll blow the ship out of the water and drive a superb manager/coaching staff away.What you will have left would be what you deserve.....yet again.[/quote]Is this based on your evidence of seeing Holty play how many times this season Cluck?[/quote]Rather hypocritical from you Smudger.... Forgotten already what many said about you not so long back?  Look at the league table and look at the stats.... and to coin a phrase, ''if it ain''t broke don''t fix it''. We''re 7th and you should be satisfied.

Sounds to me like you''ve lost your way somewhat.......[/quote]haha nice comeback... [:D]You were always a bit weak on the football tactics topics though weren''t you Cluck?  Maybe you should stick to focusing on events in the boardroom?Holt is out of his depth trying to play 90 mins week in week out at this level - at least for a team with aspirations of the play-offs.Maybe you are advocating that we just be happy with midtable consolidation?  If that is the case then I would say that it is you who has finally dumbed down their aspirations to fit in with the majority?  I believe that Jackson and Martin are both better players than Holt.  I also believe that they haven''t been given enough time on the pitch playing alongside eachother, for anybody to draw a conclusion that we can''t do better than we are doing now with Holty spending some time on the bench/or being withdrawn after 60 to 70 mins in games [/quote]I may know bugger all about tactics.... but I always remember those who have given their all to the club. I think Paul Lambert knows what is the best thing to do with his players... and I''m happy to leave him to it....Contrary to advocating  ''mid-table consolidation''... I am just being realistic as usual. Look back to a time when you were getting slagged off left right and centre on here, to where we are now.... haven''t things improved wildly beyond everyone''s expectations since then?I suspect you are hoping for a D-Cup breast to pop out of a B-Cup bra. Over expectation like that is certain to bring about disappointment .... and in my view a B-Cup is good enough to be going on with for now.....

[/quote]On the contrary Cluck, a D-Cup would be far too big for me to deal with.  I only have little hands! [;)]I''m also more of a bum and leg man myself.[/quote]Have to agree with that.....  [:)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Not sure about Grant Holt being out of his depth at Championship level. But if we think that it shows that our expectations have already reached unrealistic levels. Last time we were in the Championship the closest we had to a target man was sticking Darel Russell up there. Now he was out of his depth as a target man in the Championship. We have since been relegated and we are now back, stronger than we were, and with the best range of strikers we have had since Worthy was manager. Rome wasn''t built in a day!

[/quote]But I wasn''t on that particular job Nutty! [;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Its amazing, the recovery of the human mind after such trauma; to think that one could forget Darrel Russell playing up front, as a striker. All the money spent on therapy has now been wasted now that you have reminded me again! God we were aweful then and, as you have stated we have come out of it much the better. Have we actually had any strikers of any note that we have owned, not loaned during the Grant-Roeder regimes?

[quote user="Jason Shackells limp Tackle"]Have we actually had any strikers of any note that we have owned, not loaned during the Grant-Roeder regimes?

[/quote]Purleeze!! You can''t have forgotten Jamie Cureton already.............

..........can you? [:$]

[quote user="Smudger"]On the contrary Cluck, a D-Cup would be far too big for me to deal with.  I only have little hands! [;)]

[/quote]They would fit in you mouth quite nicely...........

[;)]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Jason Shackells limp Tackle"]Have we actually had any strikers of any note that we have owned, not loaned during the Grant-Roeder regimes?

[/quote]Purleeze!! You can''t have forgotten Jamie Cureton already.............

..........can you? [:$]

[/quote]

Aagh! Wiz''s Jizz Bag.. Good god, no, had''nt forgotten him but that does''nt stop me from trying...Surprise [:O]

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[quote user="Smudger"]On the contrary Cluck, a D-Cup would be far too big for me to deal with.  I only have little hands! [;)][/quote]They would fit in you mouth quite nicely...........

[;)]

[/quote]haha you cheeky man... [;)]  They would keep me quiet too though Lapp and we wouldn''t want that now would we???

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="lappinitup"]

[quote user="Smudger"]On the contrary Cluck, a D-Cup would be far too big for me to deal with.  I only have little hands! [;)][/quote]They would fit in you mouth quite nicely...........

[;)]

[/quote]haha you cheeky man... [;)]  They would keep me quiet too though Lapp and we wouldn''t want that now would we???[/quote]They would keep your ears warm too with winter coming on.....

Here is a novel idea .... how about we try and get the ball to Holt on the ground. It no use lumping it up in the air against Championship centre backs, Holt is not going to win many of those. Contrary to popular belief, a target man is not completely about dominating in the air, but holding the ball up and bringing team mates into play.

[quote user="Henry"]

Contrary to popular belief, a target man is not completely about dominating in the air, but holding the ball up and bringing team mates into play.
[/quote]

Well said Henry and those who don''t agree could maybe explain to us how anyone can hold the ball up with their head. Control, strength and the ability to "play in" supporting players are what is required.