Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

E. Ward

I really dont like him!

Im sure everyone will disagree but he just isn''t championship standard! He never kicks the ball clean when he is making a clearance and what was he doing at the freekick burnely had from the crofts red card tackle?! Did he not get a call to tell him there was someone behind him? hes a liability!

he needs replacing

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

I really dont like him!

Im sure everyone will disagree but he just isn''t championship standard! He never kicks the ball clean when he is making a clearance and what was he doing at the freekick burnely had from the crofts red card tackle?! Did he not get a call to tell him there was someone behind him? hes a liability!

he needs replacing

[/quote]

If anyone was in any doubt about your position as the big idiot on this forum, I suspect that you have clarified their thinking. Well done.

I really dont like him!

he needs replacing

[/quote]

Yaaaawnnnnnnnnnnn! next you''ll be telling me Holt is a world beater!?!?!

Why do we make so many ''defensive'' mistakes then?

The Actim index places MArtin as best right back in the league, we have two ''premiership'' standard center backs, and then Drury (while he was fit) who was as solid as ever, and now SS who has played in the champions league (which doesn''t mean too much, but he was good enough for Rangers for however long...)

And Ruddy isn''t all that bad either really....so why the mistakes? (and a lot of the goals we concede seem to be mistakes/defensive flaws rather than wonderful play from opposition....)

[quote user="CroftsNumber 1 Fan"]You''re right he isn''t Championship standard. According to Fox at Burnley he is Prem standard and I for one agree with him.[/quote]

Well Barnett can''t get into a mid table prem team and he is twice the player of ward!

One thing you got right nanna he is not championship standard, he is nearer premiership. Who are you advocating bringing in Askou ? based on what I saw against Palace he is not even league 1 standard. I was impressed today when he started making those forward runs, I cant think of the last centre half we had that could look that comfortable on the ball. In fact why not switch Holt and Ward that might work.  

Thats a good suggestion Lambert is King....because Holt isn''t a target man, like everyone seems to think, but probably wouldn''t be good in defence actually, with him inability to win a header....(mainly due to jumping up 5 seconds to early, the only purpose is to put off defender, which is pointless in that situation....)

Banana you are a bell end.  What you know about football I suspect you could write on the back of a stamp and still have enough room for the words to ''On the ball City''.

[quote user="Crofts Number 1 Fan"]You''re right he isn''t Championship standard. According to Fox at Burnley he is Prem standard and I for one agree with him.[/quote]Some fans are in a dream world.

Personally I don''t mind Ward, but he is showing signs of poor defending as of late. I think he had been playing really well, but certianly against Cardiff he didn''t deal with the goalkeeper kick, which lead to their second. The first goal today wasn''t necessarily his fault today, but he seemed to be the closest defender? The ball of the top for the second today was also close to him, on another day he might have cleared it?

Nana it right with the free kick near the end though. Norwich just made the comeback from two goals down, and it was almost, almost wasted. The keeper couldn''t come for it as it was coming across the box, so the defender needs to head it out of play, or straight back where it came from. What does he do? Leaves it for the attacker who was a bit unlucky really. [:|]

He seems to be making a few mistakes lately, but I do like him and wouldn''t say he "wasn''t championship standard", just needs to sort it out a bit.

Barnett is perfect. I am not kidding, I think he has every aspect a player needs. Quick, strong, great in the air, decent on the ground/tacking, just his passing isn''t great. He is so good, and I am confident him and Ward can build up a strong partnership again.

I also would like to stress the point that I feel we are missing Drury badly. Our defence was solid and consistent before he got injured. Russell Martin is absolutely quality at right back for me, I cannot believe some people are still criticising him where as Ward (for me) hasn''t been as good. As for Stephen Smith, well it is obviously hard to come straight into the team, and a different league (was from SPL, and it is debatable as to whether the standard is any good there), but he hasn''t really impressed me too much.

But yeah, I think Ward is good but not playing brilliant at the moment. It really annoys me when people just have a go at Nana, and don''t say why. Surely its just as bad to put a comment like "you''re a stupid little kid" or something, because you are completely ignoring what he has said effectively, and just name calling a kid over an internet forum. Pretty cool if you ask me? [:S]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Thats a good suggestion Lambert is King....because Holt isn''t a target man, like everyone seems to think, but probably wouldn''t be good in defence actually, with him inability to win a header....(mainly due to jumping up 5 seconds to early, the only purpose is to put off defender, which is pointless in that situation....)[/quote] True, also not jumping at all.

Have a word son. Barnett and Ward are the best defensive combination we''ve had since Flem and Malky. They win header after header after header, and block after block, and tackle after tackle. I think everyone was shocked that Patterson was let through for their second, very un-WardEtt like!

I''m a banana is right that Wards kicking isn''t always clean but lets face it a CB''s 1st job is to defend and I''ll always rather see a hoof than a player trying something fancy and giving away a goal!

Yes Wards not perfect and I think the Doc could of done a similar job but he has done little wrong and has proved a very good signing, so proving most of Bananas post is b ollocks!

The partnership has potential. I remember Dave Watson making a major error every game when he first joined us but the quality was there to see.  Same with Ward.

I dont swallow the "prem" class tag for either of them - if they were thats where they both would be, even if just on the squad -   but they are v good at champs level.

Flem & Mackay had seasons together to "eliminate" the types of error Wardett are currently committing.  And Flem/Mackay conceeded more goals per game than any pairing in something like 6 seasons at the start of our promotion season before Huckeby became our best ever  defensive signing.

Wardette are better than Flem & Malky - but are still learning each others habits. Yes the quickly need to cut out the silly lapses in concentration that ARE costing us goals.  But we should give them both time and they will come good;  now if we could just find another Huckerby like defensive master stroke signing...   

[quote user="CroftsNumber 1 Fan"]You''re right he isn''t Championship standard. According to Fox at Burnley he is Prem standard and I for one agree with him.[/quote]

Well Barnett can''t get into a mid table prem team and he is twice the player of ward!

[/quote]haha I think that you will find that if you take Barnett''s pace and power away from him then he is naive defender with very little to offer.Elliot Ward has bossed our defence over the last couple of months or so.  When he was missing we lost at home to Crystal Palace who look doomed for the drop in my opinion.Ward is class... a centre half who can read the game, bring the ball out of defence and play a bit too!  When did we last have one of them at City???

I''m glad to see so many posts supporting Ward and so many positive opinons. I do get the op''s point as Ward does seem to make a few errors during a game but who doesn''t. He is possibly one of the best footballing centre backs I''ve ever seen in the yellow and green. I was really impressed when he was unveiled as our first signing of the summer and lets face it. As impressive as Askou was last season he showed he is nowhere near Ward''s level. The lack of reserve games doesn''t come into it either.

Ward and Barnett are the best pariring we''ve had for a long time and as much as I personally think think we need to sign another striker, I''d be more than happy if the only play we signed in January, even if only another loan, is Barnett.

Let''s hope they both stay fit.

I really dont like him!

he needs replacing

[/quote]Ah, if only he was Dutch.  Bring back Fernando Derveld!

I really dont like him!

[/quote]

Well that''s nice.

I was speaking with him the other day and he was telling me what a nice guy you are.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

[/quote]

haha I think that you will find that if you take Barnett''s pace and power away from him then he is naive defender with very little to offer.

Elliot Ward has bossed our defence over the last couple of months or so.  When he was missing we lost at home to Crystal Palace who look doomed for the drop in my opinion.

Ward is class... a centre half who can read the game, bring the ball out of defence and play a bit too!  When did we last have one of them at City???
[/quote]

Fully agree.

The younger people on here sometimes complain about how they are treated on this forum (im 18 so im included) but this really highlights why, Nana''s post, GP agreeing with him and Brendo practically jizzing all over Barnett''s face, again.

[quote user="cityislife"]Best central defender we''ve had in the last 8 years.
[/quote]

yeah he sure is, better than

Barnett,

Malky

Fleming

M Taylor

C Davenport

[quote user="cityislife"]Best central defender we''ve had in the last 8 years. [/quote]

yeah he sure is, better than

Barnett,

Malky

Fleming

M Taylor

C Davenport

[/quote]Idiot. Barnett, davenport(wtf?!) and m.taylor are/were not ''our''s''.

[quote user="cityislife"]Best central defender we''ve had in the last 8 years.
[/quote]I''m sorry, have you not met the legend in my sig?!?!?!?!?!?!"?!?!?!?!

[quote user="Brendo "][quote user="cityislife"]Best central defender we''ve had in the last 8 years. [/quote]I''m sorry, have you not met the legend in my sig?!?!?!?!?!?!"?!?!?!?![/quote]Stop being such a fucking tool Brendo.Yes Barnett''s a good defender but ward and himself both compliment each other in their styles of play.Also, can you reduce this incredibly exaggurated crush on him please, it''s like when a 6 year old first see''s the purple fucking tellytubbie.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Brendo "][quote user="cityislife"]Best central defender we''ve had in the last 8 years.
[/quote]I''m sorry, have you not met the legend in my sig?!?!?!?!?!?!"?!?!?!?![/quote]

Yes Barnett''s a good defender but ward and himself both compliment each other in their styles of play.

[/quote]

Nail on head.