Sign in to follow this  
Pabs

Striking Options

Today''s game has thrown up an interesting conundrum for me - what should Lambert do up front?

For me, Grant Holt has been superb for us last year. Despite not scoring many this year, he is clearly still an important part of the team and is one of the first names on the teamsheet (being captain n''all). I would persist with him leading the line at the moment as I think we would realise the work he does if he was left out.

The debate for me is between Jackson and Martin. I think Jackson is perhaps the better option away, when the diamond works to better effect on the break, also gives us an out ball. At home, I really like Chris Martin. He is such a good finisher, and every time I went to a home game last year (I get to about 7 or 8 home games a season) he seemed to score a goal; usually an important one!

Of course, we have the option of Oli Johnson too, not sure he is right for this level. I would be tempted in his position to send him out on loan and try and replace him with a more powerful loan striker ourselves (Chris Wood from WBA or similar?)

The striker department at CR is one we could debate all night [:)]

My thoughts are that Oli is not a championship striker, which leaves Holt, Martin and Jackson. The championship is a whole new ball game for Holt & Jackson and only time will tell.

I still think we need a proven championship goal scorer to compliment our squad, someone like maybe Healey( who Donny have snapped up) will always score in this league, another striker gives us another option upfront and you need that in this league.

Would someone like 6ft 4in Ishmael Miller be any good for us short term, he was saying today he wants WBA to let him go out on loan?

Not so long back, people were saying we wanted our own players. Now we have them and now people want loan players. What message would this send to our own players (i.e Chris Martin and Simeon Jackson or even Grant Holt) if they were dropped for a loanee?

[quote user="lappinitup"]Not so long back, people were saying we wanted our own players. Now we have them and now people want loan players. What message would this send to our own players (i.e Chris Martin and Simeon Jackson or even Grant Holt) if they were dropped for a loanee?[/quote]That they need to get off their backside and work for their place in the sideHmm [^o)]

[quote user="Lewie - Holt Our Saviour"][quote user="lappinitup"]Not so long back, people were saying we wanted our own players. Now we have them and now people want loan players. What message would this send to our own players (i.e Chris Martin and Simeon Jackson or even Grant Holt) if they were dropped for a loanee?[/quote]
That they need to get off their backside and work for their place in the sideHmm [^o)][/quote]

I agree with that. I dont think anybody is anti loanees (Barnett has been great). It only becomes a problem when most of the team are on loan. They are great for plugging the odd gap to bring in quality you couldnt possibly afford at the moment. There is no doubt for the striking are a big problem at the moment. I think Miller would be a terrific acquisition.

Unless we play R Martin, Ward and Barnett at the back, Fox, Hoolahan, Gill and Lappin in midfield and C Martin, Holt and Jackson up front in a 3-4-3. It could shrink to a 3-4-2-1 when we are defending.

Come on, be honest, who wouldn''t fancy seeing us try that one out, just for a half???

I think we''ll see Chris Martin back in the starting line-up tonight (although we''ll have to see how the injury/suspension problems make things pan out).

I think Simeon has done alright for us in general but he contributed very little against Burnley - he really struggled to get hold of the ball, his touch wasn''t great. Whereas when Martin came on he looked lively, more so than he has done in recent weeks. I think he''ll have done enough to nudge himself back into contention. But then maybe the manager will think he should give Simeon another chance hoping that he will raise his game again knowing that Chrissy looks like he''s back in the mood.

[quote user="lappinitup"]Not so long back, people were saying we wanted our own players. Now we have them and now people want loan players. What message would this send to our own players (i.e Chris Martin and Simeon Jackson or even Grant Holt) if they were dropped for a loanee?[/quote]

So if one of those 3 were to get injured and be out for a few weeks, what then Lappin, you''d have to play the other two and hope neither get injured or get to 5 yellow cards or get red carded.

We need 4 strikers at the club to create competition and to keep people on their toes, just like if/when Leon leaves in Jan we will still have Nelson, Askou,  Wardy and Whitbread, 4 for those back 2 places.

Well, personally I think that Jackson definately needs to stay in the team (he had one poor game vs Burnley and people are contemplating dropping him, whearas Holt has a poor season so far but he is still the first name on the team sheet!!!) and it''s whether we play Holt or Chris Martin.  I think Holt needs a big kick up the backside so therefore I would go for a Chris Martin and Simeon Jackson strike partnership.

And also cut out the Oli Johnson not being good enough for the Championship rubbish because how can you tell when he hasn''t been given a chance?  He''s made like two sub appearances!!!!

[quote user="Boyo''"]

And also cut out the Oli Johnson not being good enough for the Championship rubbish because how can you tell when he hasn''t been given a chance?  He''s made like two sub appearances!!!!

[/quote/]

Didnt Lambert say that he''s not ready yet which is why he hasn''t started, his word is good enough for me.