Sign in to follow this  
AndyCanary

Forster refusing to quit Celtic

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-On-loan-Celtic-keeper-Fraser-Forster-says-he-d-be-gutted-if-he-was-recalled-now-by-injury-hit-parent-club-Newcastle-article595309.html

Fraser

Forster has no intention of quitting Celtic this season - and will have

the big guns scrambling for his signature in the summer.

The Newcastle keeper has become a hit on loan at Parkhead and has told Newcastle he doesn''t want to be recalled just yet.

With

Steve Harper out injured for three months, and Tim Krul handed the No1

jersey at St James'' Park, Forster believes he is better off proving

himself in Scotland.

The youngster could be recalled by United in

January if they have a keeper crisis. But he said: "It''s pointless

worrying. Football can change in 24 hours but hopefully I can stay. I

would be a bit gutted to go back. It depends on the circumstances if I

go back to play then. Obviously, I am Newcastle''s keeper and it is up to

them.

"But I want to play week in, week out and sitting on a bench is not

something I want. The only way I will progress in my career is if I am

out playing in front of big crowds.

"I knew with being in Scotland

I couldn''t be called back right away when Harps got injured. That is

fine by me as I want to be here playing for a massive club. I am exactly

where I want to be."

What a daft response.Fraser was a pretty big part of our season last year and he had a clear fondness for the club that was shared with a fondness for the fans.I don''t know why I''m trying to justify it to you as you ''couldn''t care'' about the subject which beckons the questions why you opened a topic entitled with the subject in the first place?

Personally I found it interesting to hear what he is up to.

He was a great player for us and a big part of our promotion so I think he deserves a mention on here every now and then.

Yes Forster was good last season ....... but obviously Newcastle don''t rate him as highly as many fans on here, otherwise he would be playing for them now instead of Krol.

Being at Celtic won''t do him that much good as half the time he will be watching the game and not involved. He would have a better chance to shine and prove himself (as he seems to have to to some people) if he was playing for Hamilton who have a gd of -10 and not +13 after just 7 games.

And the comment about Ruddy is correct, he is our keeper now. Do we need to keep talking about a loanee who we had, improved, coached, trained, increased the value of and gave exposure to that he probably would not have got anywhere else?

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]Yes Forster was good last season ....... but obviously Newcastle don''t rate him as highly as many fans on here, otherwise he would be playing for them now instead of Krol. Being at Celtic won''t do him that much good as half the time he will be watching the game and not involved. He would have a better chance to shine and prove himself (as he seems to have to to some people) if he was playing for Hamilton who have a gd of -10 and not +13 after just 7 games. And the comment about Ruddy is correct, he is our keeper now. Do we need to keep talking about a loanee who we had, improved, coached, trained, increased the value of and gave exposure to that he probably would not have got anywhere else?[/quote]

Agreed[Y]

Not only did we do those things but we also paid a pretty penny for the privilege. I understand that to have carried on developing Newcastle''s keeper for another season in the Championship would have cost us more than buying a keeper of our own. This type of waste of the clubs  money was something I believe Bowkett spoke out over when criticising the previous executive board members. So it was unlikely in the extreme he would sanction it now.

Let''s get behind our own players rather than loan players who at best only have a short term commitment to our club.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]Yes Forster was good last season ....... but obviously Newcastle don''t rate him as highly as many fans on here, otherwise he would be playing for them now instead of Krol. Being at Celtic won''t do him that much good as half the time he will be watching the game and not involved. He would have a better chance to shine and prove himself (as he seems to have to to some people) if he was playing for Hamilton who have a gd of -10 and not +13 after just 7 games. And the comment about Ruddy is correct, he is our keeper now. Do we need to keep talking about a loanee who we had, improved, coached, trained, increased the value of and gave exposure to that he probably would not have got anywhere else?[/quote]

Agreed[Y]

Not only did we do those things but we also paid a pretty penny for the privilege. I understand that to have carried on developing Newcastle''s keeper for another season in the Championship would have cost us more than buying a keeper of our own. This type of waste of the clubs  money was something I believe Bowkett spoke out over when criticising the previous executive board members. So it was unlikely in the extreme he would sanction it now.

Let''s get behind our own players rather than loan players who at best only have a short term commitment to our club.

[/quote]

While I agree in general with the loan players and waste of money thing. 

I cannot agree with anyone who puts that in the same paragraph as Fraser Forster for us last season.  Forster was/is Newcastle''s 3rd choice keeper, we were in League One last season, I can''t imagine that we paid huge fees and salaries to bring him here.

What did it cost us? - Pretty much what has been listed above.  Although we don''t know the exact £''s.

What did we get in return? - well yes after a bit of a shakey start we got a very good goalkeeper in League One.  How many points did FF save us / win us last season?  It''s not an easy question to answer, but for me FF''s value to us last season should not even be brought in to question. We got promoted didn''t we?  How many clean sheets was it?

FF would have cost us more this season, and if rumours are to be believed, Newcastle wanted more.  But what club worth their salt wouldn''t?  - It makes total business sense to ask for more. If the boot was on the other foot the Norwich of old perhaps wouldn''t have asked for more, but the ''New Norwich'' most certainly would.

Would FF have provided good value in The Championship?  Well that is an even more difficult question to answer and depends on -

How much did Newcastle want for the loan deal/what his salary is?

Could he have cut it in The Championship? His performances last season, the season before and so far this seem to suggest so.

Yes, we would have been developing and increasing the value of Newcastle''s asset even more.  Newcastle and FF would have benefited, but it''s not just one way, so would we.

Were Newcastle ever willing to let FF leave on a permanent transfer?  Perhaps, if so I am guessing we couldn''t have afforded it.

IF we had got FF on loan and did go up this season it could have lead to a ready made permanent transfer for FF.

I would understand if this debate was about Antoine Sibierski[:^)]

I don''t think anybody is disputing that he was good business last season whatever the cost. Lambert came in 3 games into a season where our big keeper signing had failed and we were playing a loan anyway. Lambert recognised the need for a keeper, recognised at that stage a loan was the only option and found a gem in Forster.

But the other points are still valid and helping to develope Forster didn''t do us any favours with his employers this season. So what if we had sacrificed Crofts and Surman to loan a keeper and develope him for his parent club?

Ruddy is our keeper now and recognising that doesn''t devalue anything that happened last season.

So for this topic is 90% about whether we should talk about Fraser and 10% about him..Perhaps it''s not a very exciting topic about him not wanting to leave Celtic. I could understand that but what I can''t understand is the enthusiasm people seem to have to demonstrate how he isn''t worth talking about...? that makes no sense.I don''t turn up to trainspotting events to talk about how boring I find the idea.

So with the attitude to only focus on Norwich players, does that mean you ignore players like Messi, Iniesta, Rooney etc because they don''t play for Norwich?

No one seemed to mind the thread about Cureton/Rusty/Bellamy/Crouch etc at the weekend (Former Norwich players scoring etc...), but whenever FF names pops up, everyone gets upset? I like him, and i certainly will keep an eye on his progress (like many other loan players, its nice to see what they do, Bentley, Gibbs, Bertrand etc)

I think the problem is that many posters, me included, feel a lot of fans are not behind our current goalkeeper. In threads about Cureton/Rusty/Bellamy/Crouch etc we don''t have the feeling that some fans are not behind Jackson/Crofts/Martin/Holt. That''s the way I see it anyway.

I think the problem is that many posters, me included, feel a lot of fans are not behind our current goalkeeper. In threads about Cureton/Rusty/Bellamy/Crouch etc we don''t have the feeling that some fans are not behind Jackson/Crofts/Martin/Holt. That''s the way I see it anyway.

[/quote]But surely that''s paranoia? I don''t see how talking about FF suggests I''m not behind Ruddy. I am behind him - just unfortunately so is the ball in the back of his net most the time - JOKE!!!!....

Fair point i suppose Nutty, but i didn''t see any suggestion of ''Ruddy is poor, get Forster back'' in this thread, because we could do that with so many players, If we picked a X1 of our best players over the past 10 or so years, how many of the current team would get in?

But what i really don''t like, is all the negativity towards our own players , i really don''t like Stephen Hughes (don''t really know why...), and when people suggest he could be useful, i don''t go in and say he''s useless etc etc, i just ask them why they think that, because i don''t...But some people do seem to get far to carried away with criticism, and when we are sitting in 3rd, they really shouldn''t be. Yes certain performances from Holt/Martin/Ruddy/Hoolanan (to some extent) etc, have not been the best, but they have still all proven at some point or other have valuable they are to the team, and the team as a whole have done very very well so far this season. :D

[quote user="Gingerpele"]So with the attitude to only focus on Norwich players, does that mean you ignore players like Messi, Iniesta, Rooney etc because they don''t play for Norwich? No one seemed to mind the thread about Cureton/Rusty/Bellamy/Crouch etc at the weekend (Former Norwich players scoring etc...), but whenever FF names pops up, everyone gets upset? I like him, and i certainly will keep an eye on his progress (like many other loan players, its nice to see what they do, Bentley, Gibbs, Bertrand etc)[/quote]

Totally agree with this. Just because we talk about other players doesn''t mean I have any less respect for the players that are currently with our club. I can only speak for myself but I will generally give my full support to any player that pulls on that yellow and green shirt- unless (like Sibierski, Gow etc) they display a blatent disrespect for the club they are representing by not giving their all. Long serving players such as Drury are a rarity these days so you have to accept that players may only stay one or two seasons with a particular club.  This doesn''t mean that we have to forget about them when they leave.  I for one will always look out for players like Forster, Earnshaw and Bertrand because they gave their all for City. I even take pleasure from the likes of Crouch, Gibbs and Lita doing well for their respective clubs even though they were with us for short periods of time.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Agreed[Y]

[/quote]

I cannot agree with anyone who puts that in the same paragraph as Fraser Forster for us last season.  Forster was/is Newcastle''s 3rd choice keeper, we were in League One last season, I can''t imagine that we paid huge fees and salaries to bring him here.

What did it cost us? - Pretty much what has been listed above.  Although we don''t know the exact £''s.

What did we get in return? - well yes after a bit of a shakey start we got a very good goalkeeper in League One.  How many points did FF save us / win us last season?  It''s not an easy question to answer, but for me FF''s value to us last season should not even be brought in to question. We got promoted didn''t we?  How many clean sheets was it?

FF would have cost us more this season, and if rumours are to be believed, Newcastle wanted more.  But what club worth their salt wouldn''t?  - It makes total business sense to ask for more. If the boot was on the other foot the Norwich of old perhaps wouldn''t have asked for more, but the ''New Norwich'' most certainly would.

Would FF have provided good value in The Championship?  Well that is an even more difficult question to answer and depends on -

Could he have cut it in The Championship? His performances last season, the season before and so far this seem to suggest so.

Yes, we would have been developing and increasing the value of Newcastle''s asset even more.  Newcastle and FF would have benefited, but it''s not just one way, so would we.

Were Newcastle ever willing to let FF leave on a permanent transfer?  Perhaps, if so I am guessing we couldn''t have afforded it.

IF we had got FF on loan and did go up this season it could have lead to a ready made permanent transfer for FF.

[/quote]And what did we do for Forster and Newcastle United? A simple question .... What was Forster worth before he came to us last season and what was he worth when he left?

Not sure why anybody is really bothered by ForsterIt isnt as though he came here because he wanted to  he cam because he thought it was a good opportunity for him  Norwich was simply the vehicleIt might be different if there was any chance he would sign permanently but I think that very remote  What he does in Scotland is of little relevance and hardly any different than Robbie Keane going back there as a loanee.  I mean who cares

so KenBrown, you aren''t interested in anyone who has played for us and left then? That can include anyone who has retired and not come back as a coach (or in some other capacity)...Its not all about the current squad. Its about the History, and previous players are part of that, even loan players. The amount of times i have seen Crouch referenced by Norwich fans (and others) is far to high, and he was only here for 3 months, yet you are in this group of people that hate anyone mentioning Fraser Forster...Are we allowed to talk about Earnshaw? Green? Leroy Lita? David Bentley? Shackell? Bellamy? Cureton? etc or just the current players?

I think it''s a testament to how good Forster was last season, that he still gets many mentions on this thread. however we have moved on and we now have another fantastic keeper between the sticks who I look forward to see developing at City!

[quote user="AndyCanary"]http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-On-loan-Celtic-keeper-Fraser-Forster-says-he-d-be-gutted-if-he-was-recalled-now-by-injury-hit-parent-club-Newcastle-article595309.html

Fraser

The Newcastle keeper has become a hit on loan at Parkhead and has told Newcastle he doesn''t want to be recalled just yet.

With

himself in Scotland.

them.

where I want to be."

[/quote]

[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/2hpmvwx.jpg[/IMG]

He wouldn''t let it lie!

I appreciate the choice of Fraser, although Scottish football is in decline, Celtic is a traditional, great club with loyal fans and a lot of players committed to the green and white shirt.

[quote user="Drazen Muzinic"][quote user="AndyCanary"]http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-On-loan-Celtic-keeper-Fraser-Forster-says-he-d-be-gutted-if-he-was-recalled-now-by-injury-hit-parent-club-Newcastle-article595309.html

Fraser

With

himself in Scotland.

them.

where I want to be."

[/quote]

He wouldn''t let it lie![/quote]

Is this me or this (beautiful) is quite unfriendly with these awful quotes plenty of hierogyiphics?

[quote user="Drazen Muzinic"][quote user="AndyCanary"]http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-On-loan-Celtic-keeper-Fraser-Forster-says-he-d-be-gutted-if-he-was-recalled-now-by-injury-hit-parent-club-Newcastle-article595309.html

Fraser

With

himself in Scotland.

them.

where I want to be."

[/quote]

He wouldn''t let it lie![/quote]

Is this me or this (beautiful) forum is quite unfriendly with these awful quotes plenty of hierogyiphics?

[quote user="Aurelius"][quote user="Drazen Muzinic"][quote user="AndyCanary"]http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-On-loan-Celtic-keeper-Fraser-Forster-says-he-d-be-gutted-if-he-was-recalled-now-by-injury-hit-parent-club-Newcastle-article595309.html

Fraser Forster has no intention of quitting Celtic this season - and will have the big guns scrambling for his signature in the summer.

With Steve Harper out injured for three months, and Tim Krul handed the No1 jersey at St James'' Park, Forster believes he is better off proving himself in Scotland.

The youngster could be recalled by United in January if they have a keeper crisis. But he said: "It''s pointless worrying. Football can change in 24 hours but hopefully I can stay. I would be a bit gutted to go back. It depends on the circumstances if I go back to play then. Obviously, I am Newcastle''s keeper and it is up to them.

"But I want to play week in, week out and sitting on a bench is not something I want. The only way I will progress in my career is if I am out playing in front of big crowds.

"I knew with being in Scotland I couldn''t be called back right away when Harps got injured. That is fine by me as I want to be here playing for a massive club. I am exactly where I want to be."

[/quote] [IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/2hpmvwx.jpg[/IMG] He wouldn''t let it lie![/quote] Is this me or this (beautiful) forum is quite unfriendly with these awful quotes plenty of hierogyiphics?[/quote]

You need to hit the ''compatibility'' button at the side of your URL search bar Aurelius - that should sort it out [Y]

[quote user="Yellow Wall"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Agreed[Y]

[/quote]

[/quote]
And what did we do for Forster and Newcastle United? A simple question .... What was Forster worth before he came to us last season and what was he worth when he left?

[/quote]

I really don''t understand what you are getting at.

As I''ve said, it''s a two way thing, yes we developed Newcastle''s asset and yes his value undoubtedly did increase.  In return we got a very good goalkeeper in League One and we got promoted.

What were the alternatives? 

We signed Forster on loan and he wasn''t that great.  We didn''t increase his value (great!) but we also didn''t get promoted and lost in the playoffs.

We didn''t sign Forster and went with Rudd and perhaps didn''t get promoted.

We signed another keeper on loan, but if he had done well, it would have increased his value[:^)]

We went with Rudd till January and then signed a keeper on a permanent transfer.  Could we have afforded it?  And what sort of keeper could we have afforded?

Surely if circumstances dictate (whatever the reason) that you sign a player on loan, then you want that player to perform well for the club and hence be good value for money?  You surely don''t sign a loan player hoping they will be sheite[:^)]

And what of Leon Barnett?  Are you hoping he is rubbish for us, so we don''t increase his value?

While I am not totally convinced by Ruddy I am 100% behind him.  

Ruddy is our goalkeeper, Fraser has gone and moved on, I understand that, I am not on some nostalgia trip of Ruddy is rubbish, bring back Forster the saviour.

Why do some people get so het up as soon as someone mentions Forster?  I wonder is it these that have the problem with it?

I don''t think anybody is disputing that he was good business last season whatever the cost. Lambert came in 3 games into a season where our big keeper signing had failed and we were playing a loan anyway. Lambert recognised the need for a keeper, recognised at that stage a loan was the only option and found a gem in Forster.

But the other points are still valid and helping to develope Forster didn''t do us any favours with his employers this season. So what if we had sacrificed Crofts and Surman to loan a keeper and develope him for his parent club?

Ruddy is our keeper now and recognising that doesn''t devalue anything that happened last season.

[/quote]

So what was the alternative then?  No FF, we wouldn''t be discussing this.  FF was rubbish - what a waste of money (a la Sibierski et al)

We understand how the loan market works.  By entering it you take those risks.  The player could be rubbish - a waste of money.  The player could be good and yes their value increases, that''s how it works.

I am not for one minute suggesting we should have sacrificed two permanent signings in Crofts and Surman to bring Forster in on loan. Likewise we don''t know the numbers involved in getting FF on loan this season.

Why the handbags over someone mentioning Forster? Some of you are utter, utter dregs. If you really aren''t interested, why bother reading the thread in the first place? It''s not like anyone is targeting Ruddy for abuse in the thread or anything like that. It''s just talking about a top notch keeper who played a massive part in getting us promoted. Why not be a bit more courteous and respectful? Or is giving praise to anyone in anything other than a Norwich shirt simply beyond comprehension for some of you? Seriously, jog on. Always thought he had potential to be a top goalkeeper and was delighted when Celtic came in for him. Granted, the SPL is an absolute joke of a league but it does feature two of the biggest clubs in Britain and thus still provides good experience for the players that come through those clubs. More power to him for staying, there''s absolutely no point in him warming the bench at Newcastle when he can be getting regular action in that division.

[quote user="AndyCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

But surely that''s paranoia?

I don''t see how talking about FF suggests I''m not behind Ruddy. I am behind him - just unfortunately so is the ball in the back of his net most the time - JOKE!!!!....
[/quote]

I wouldn''t be surprised to find out I''m paranoid Andy. I keep thinking posters are out to get me with a fleet of steamrollers.....

[;)]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

So what was the alternative then?  No FF, we wouldn''t be discussing this.  FF was rubbish - what a waste of money (a la Sibierski et al)

We understand how the loan market works.  By entering it you take those risks.  The player could be rubbish - a waste of money.  The player could be good and yes their value increases, that''s how it works.

I am not for one minute suggesting we should have sacrificed two permanent signings in Crofts and Surman to bring Forster in on loan. Likewise we don''t know the numbers involved in getting FF on loan this season.

[/quote]

No we don''t know the numbers Slim. But what we do know is that the loan fee wanted by Newcastle now turns out to be the equivelant of the total amount paid for four of our new signings.

We don''t know which four. But whichever four it is it''s surely too much money for one player on a years loan.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No we don''t know the numbers Slim. But what we do know is that the loan fee wanted by Newcastle now turns out to be the equivelant of the total amount paid for four of our new signings.

We don''t know which four. But whichever four it is it''s surely too much money for one player on a years loan.

[/quote]

If that''s the case, then yes, unquestionably I agree.  Sacrificing 4 players to get 1 loan in would be lunacy.

If we go up this season and if FF has a good season for Celtic, it would be interesting to see if 1. PL thinks we would need a GK and 2. If he would be interested in FF to vie with Ruddy for the No. 1 jersey.

However, I suspect FF would want to be No.1 and there is also the possibility that FF wouldn''t come back to us.   Forster is undoubtedly ambitious and wants to play for a top club, would he come back to Norwich even in the Premier League? - I don''t know.  Yes, he would want to be No.1 in the Prem, but at Norwich? I am starting to think that Forster perhaps thinks he is better than he is and should be No. 1 at a top club now.

Will he make it to the top? Quite possibly, is he there yet? certainly not.  He may well one day play for someone like Arsenal (lets face it they need a decent keeper - Almunia''s not that great), but he''s certainly not ready yet and he won''t want to play second fiddle to Krul once Harper hangs up his gloves.

Yes, Forster is a good keeper and has potential, but if / when we are looking for another keeper, there are plenty of other good goalkeepers out there too, to consider.

Forster was the one player who did more than any other to help us win the Championship.  The amount of times he made seemingly impossible saves to stop wins turning into draws, and draws turning into defeats - without him I am fairly sure we would still have gone up but behind dirty Leeds.For his performances and his commitment to the cause, he deserves to be treated with far more respect than players like Camara, Gibbs and Bertrand (never mind Sibierski).  I think saying "well, forget him" is harsh, frankly.