Sign in to follow this  
Yobocop

Russell Martin

My opinion on Russell Martin this season is he has been

Of all the right backs we''ve had recently the best.

Russell puts 100 percent in each game and shows us what.

The manager sees in him.

You or other posters might of slated him but not now.

Is r Martin our best rb since edworthy?

Surely he is better than otsemobor?

Given that he got so much stick last season I think he has

Always done well and is now showing us all what he can do.

You can see he''ll be a big performer this season!

SLightly spasTic there too...it''s been a long night but I''m sure you''ll all get the message

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]My opinion on Russell Martin this season is he has been Of all the right backs we''ve had recently the best. Russell puts 100 percent in each game and shows us what. The manager sees in him. You or other posters might of slated him but not now. Is r Martin our best rb since edworthy? Surely he is better than otsemobor? Given that he got so much stick last season I think he has Always done well and is now showing us all what he can do. You can see he''ll be a big performer this season![/quote]

I''ve never thought or said anything different. The lad is good and getting better, but has been subject to some irrational and unfounded criticism on here. John Ruddy has now taken over as the statutory "He didn''t come through the Academy, so he isn''t local " hate figure. I also rate him and have no doubt that he will also be recognised for the talent he is.

He is 24 so still on an upward curve- a fact never acknowledged by his critics.  Already a good, solid player and just getting better and better.

* Especially when they all follow the same curve:

R. Martin is actually quite good, so why does everyone slate him? And then everyone comes back and agrees, and know one slates him, this has been the case for a few weeks now.....

WE ALL LOVE RUSSELL MARTIN

I think that he is goodAnd that he will continue to get betterI''ve always said that the reason people are hard on him is due to egos the fact that he came from Pboro as a ''reject'' and the ego canary fans couldn''t accept that someone not good enough for Ptown would be good enough for usHe always gives 100% and doesn''t do anything stupidI think he is far better than Semi And definately our best RB since EdworthyI also replied to this topic in the fashion in which you typed it [:p]

Yeah soz about that for some reason when I write on my HTC Hero it comes out all funny like that!

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]My opinion on Russell Martin this season is he has been

Of all the right backs we''ve had recently the best.

Russell puts 100 percent in each game and shows us what.

The manager sees in him.

You or other posters might of slated him but not now.

Given that he got so much stick last season I think he has

Always done well and is now showing us all what he can do.

You can see he''ll be a big performer this season![/quote]I thought this was a new Russel Martin song, cant see it catchin on in the stands, the chorus is terrible for starters..

I wasn''t a fan of him last season, strange how he has done well in the Championship so far and yet I think he was poor in league one he''s won me over though :)

[quote user="NCFC Sinky"]

I wasn''t a fan of him last season, strange how he has done well in the Championship so far and yet I think he was poor in league one he''s won me over though :)

[/quote]

Not that strange really though because he was actually pretty good in League 1 as well.

Huckerbys boots, it would be pretty awful as a song lol I mean it doesn''t even rhyme!

Thing is, Edworthy was budget too. We haven''t had a really good right back since Ian Culverhouse.

Martin is solid enough and has played well this season. But he offers nothing going forward, which is crucial if we are using the diamond. Whereas Adam Drury has, admirably, transformed his game so that he contributes pretty well to our attacking play, Martin rarely crosses the halfway line and never looks comfortable when he does so. (Just like Edworthy, in fact)

Despite what it might look like, I''m not having a go at him, and it has nothing to do with him not coming through the academy or coming from Peterborough. He has given his all for City and you can''t ask more than that from an individual. I just feel that if we are to take the next step up and actually be promotion contenders, we need to pose an attacking threat down the right as well as the left.

I think we can all agree, though, that Otsemobor was a complete waste of time. I seriously think I could have done a better job at right back than him - and I am rubbish at football.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="NCFC Sinky"]

[/quote]

Not that strange really though because he was actually pretty good in League 1 as well.

[/quote]

Does this officially mark the end of the Russell Martin scapegoat bandwagon? Who is the next target?

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Thing is, Edworthy was budget too. We haven''t had a really good right back since Ian Culverhouse.

Martin is solid enough and has played well this season. But he offers nothing going forward, which is crucial if we are using the diamond. Whereas Adam Drury has, admirably, transformed his game so that he contributes pretty well to our attacking play, Martin rarely crosses the halfway line and never looks comfortable when he does so. (Just like Edworthy, in fact)

Despite what it might look like, I''m not having a go at him, and it has nothing to do with him not coming through the academy or coming from Peterborough. He has given his all for City and you can''t ask more than that from an individual. I just feel that if we are to take the next step up and actually be promotion contenders, we need to pose an attacking threat down the right as well as the left.

I think we can all agree, though, that Otsemobor was a complete waste of time. I seriously think I could have done a better job at right back than him - and I am rubbish at football.[/quote]But you don''t want both when playing the diamond, do you?If you have both fullbacks heading too far down field, you leave yourself exposed at the back. I always thought, one attacking type fullback + one defensive = balance.Anyway, I understand what you''re saying. Clearly due to geography, I don''t get to see us play. So, its to get some good info from those who do.

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]I''m pretty sure that he isn''t.[/quote]

I don''t think he is either! But having said that there''s usually a reason for rumours, no smoke without fire and all that.

Anyway, I wonder what would happen if he was one on one with a goalkeeper? Would he try and go round him or would he tap it?

[quote user="NorfolkChance"][quote user="Robert N LiM"]Thing is, Edworthy was budget too. We haven''t had a really good right back since Ian Culverhouse. Martin is solid enough and has played well this season. But he offers nothing going forward, which is crucial if we are using the diamond. Whereas Adam Drury has, admirably, transformed his game so that he contributes pretty well to our attacking play, Martin rarely crosses the halfway line and never looks comfortable when he does so. (Just like Edworthy, in fact) Despite what it might look like, I''m not having a go at him, and it has nothing to do with him not coming through the academy or coming from Peterborough. He has given his all for City and you can''t ask more than that from an individual. I just feel that if we are to take the next step up and actually be promotion contenders, we need to pose an attacking threat down the right as well as the left. I think we can all agree, though, that Otsemobor was a complete waste of time. I seriously think I could have done a better job at right back than him - and I am rubbish at football.[/quote]
But you don''t want both when playing the diamond, do you?

If you have both fullbacks heading too far down field, you leave yourself exposed at the back. I always thought, one attacking type fullback + one defensive = balance.

Anyway, I understand what you''re saying. Clearly due to geography, I don''t get to see us play. So, its to get some good info from those who do.

[/quote]

As someone who has seen him a lot I really don''t get the "he''s not good going forward" argument. He is always looking to get upfield (he scored at the far post at Donny!) and puts decent crosses in. I think that it may because,whereas Drury will regularly try to play one twos with Lappin and get to the touchline, Martin tends to drive to the edge of the box and then look for support and as a result tends to cross from deeper positions. However, to say that he''s reluctant to go forward is inaccurate IMHO.

Definitely an under-rated player last year and finally getting the recognition he deserves.

Otsemobor was terrible in comparison.

Hope he doesn''t read this thread.......

[;)]

[quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="NCFC Sinky"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Does this officially mark the end of the Russell Martin scapegoat bandwagon? Who is the next target?

[/quote]

I think Chris already is.And if Lappin has a bad game.......

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="NorfolkChance"][quote user="Robert N LiM"]Thing is, Edworthy was budget too. We haven''t had a really good right back since Ian Culverhouse. Martin is solid enough and has played well this season. But he offers nothing going forward, which is crucial if we are using the diamond. Whereas Adam Drury has, admirably, transformed his game so that he contributes pretty well to our attacking play, Martin rarely crosses the halfway line and never looks comfortable when he does so. (Just like Edworthy, in fact) Despite what it might look like, I''m not having a go at him, and it has nothing to do with him not coming through the academy or coming from Peterborough. He has given his all for City and you can''t ask more than that from an individual. I just feel that if we are to take the next step up and actually be promotion contenders, we need to pose an attacking threat down the right as well as the left. I think we can all agree, though, that Otsemobor was a complete waste of time. I seriously think I could have done a better job at right back than him - and I am rubbish at football.[/quote]But you don''t want both when playing the diamond, do you?If you have both fullbacks heading too far down field, you leave yourself exposed at the back. I always thought, one attacking type fullback + one defensive = balance.Anyway, I understand what you''re saying. Clearly due to geography, I don''t get to see us play. So, its to get some good info from those who do.

[/quote]

As someone who has seen him a lot I really don''t get the "he''s not good going forward" argument. He is always looking to get upfield (he scored at the far post at Donny!) and puts decent crosses in. I think that it may because,whereas Drury will regularly try to play one twos with Lappin and get to the touchline, Martin tends to drive to the edge of the box and then look for support and as a result tends to cross from deeper positions. However, to say that he''s reluctant to go forward is inaccurate IMHO.

[/quote]Yep, I agree with this entirely Beau. I think Russell Martin has been great since he got here. He had a couple of really bad games in League One, but has settled in well at Championship level. I think he''s improving game by game actually! I know that he and Lambert go way back and it''s further proof that PL has some incredible man management skills. He knows how to get the best out of his players and how to inspire them. But, sticking to the point, I''ve seen Martin carry the ball out of defence and whip crosses in many a time! To say that he doesn''t get forward enough is quite ludicrous. He seems like a really sensible, quiet type of guy and those dudes usually fall under the "unsung hero" banner. He gets through a hell of a lot of work, without doing anything too flashy. It''s a real shame to think that he often goes unnoticed by fans (unless it''s to come on here and bash him!)Song, anyone? [;)]

Well, you''ve seen him more than me Beau and I''m happy to bow to your knowledge and wisdom (that sounds sarky but really isn''t).

My memories of the Hull and Leicester games are that we were hardly a threat down the right hand side. But that might partly be because I sit on the right hand side of the Barclay, so I have a much better view of our left-sided attacks when we''re shooting that way.

i really want to reiterate that I''m not slagging R Martin off. All I ask from City players is that they give their all and he clearly does. He''s a top pro and I have a lot of respect for him. But, just as we''d probably have to replace Wes and Korey if we got into the Prem, I think we have to do better than Russell if we want to remain in the top six.