Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

The Gag Comes Off!.

[quote]No pulling power eh?. Sorry Smudge, but as I said to Campbell , why did the most sought after young striker in the Championship (Leading scorer) ignore other Premiership teams to come here?. If y...[/quote]

You are truly mad, only Palace put in a bid for Ashton. If Spurs had a bid accepted do you still think he would be with us

[quote]Wiz, you raise some very good points, but I still believe you are choosing to ignore the fact that coming to City on loan may actually NOT be attractive to the type of player we needed to signific...[/quote]

I apologise Temps, for keep banging on about this hotel buisiness, but I could name an awful lot of players who have come to city on 3 month loans, and stayed in hotels.

That''s why I find it impossible to buy into the hotel theory. And with the coverage given by sky ie. football 1st plus live games, and match of the day on BBC, every player is assured of being in the shop window, yes?.

We will have to agree to disagree on this.

[quote]You are truly mad, only Palace put in a bid for Ashton. If Spurs had a bid accepted do you still think he would be with us[/quote]

You''ve ignored most of my questions and the hotel bit Smudge, why?.

I''ll tell you why, you can''t answer them, can you!.

I may well be mad mate (when all else fails, be insulting, yes?), but at least I haven''t resorted to mud slinging.

Next please.    

[quote]You''ve ignored most of my questions and the hotel bit Smudge, why?. I''ll tell you why, you can''t answer them, can you!. I may well be mad mate (when all else fails, be insulting, yes?), but at least...[/quote]

Who''s slinging mud??

It is not a difficult theory, if for instance ourselves and WBA made a loan move for a Birmingham defender which club do you think he would join?. He would clearly move to WBA because of the obvious family ties. Well done of the other points (whatever they were) I must have agreed.

Now calm down dear and have a cup of tea.

Calm down girls.

I think that we are an attractive proposition (a friendly club, well run, good facilities, great fans, good football).

HOWEVER, the travelling things must be a disadvantage. If you are based in London, Manchester/Liverpool, Birmingham then you have stacks of clubs to whom you could get to very easily with minimal disruption. So in my book our location is an obstacle which many other clubs do not face.

Having said that I am not sure whether players actually have much choice. OK they might be able to turn down a permament move as it involves a contract termination, but a loan? Seems to me that it would be up to the clubs to do the deal, there are no personal terms to agree and we would just reimburse the "home" clubs costs. Any good club will though take the players wishes into account.

I am disappointed that Nigel has not strengthened the defence. Compared with the money being paid out for (and presumably to) Deano, a loan player at the back should not have broken anybody''s bank. It could be  a fatal mistake, it could be inspired prudence. Only time will tell, starting tonight.

[quote]Who''s slinging mud?? It is not a difficult theory, if for instance ourselves and WBA made a loan move for a Birmingham defender which club do you think he would join?. He would clearly move to WBA be...[/quote]

A certain Mr Huckerby turned West Brom down flat for us Smudge........

Okay he wasn''t a Birmingham player, but I don''t think Man City is nearer to us then West Brom. Yes, I cheated with that one!.

Anyway (slurps tea and munches a kit kat) I''ve calmed down a bit now (burp).  

"I am disappointed that Nigel has not strengthened the defence. Compared with the money being paid out for (and presumably to) Deano, a loan player at the back should not have broken anybody''s bank. It could be  a fatal mistake, it could be inspired prudence. Only time will tell, starting tonight."

Here we go again! Remember all the yapping before the start of the season about "why didn''t Worthington sign an established Premiership goalscorer" without anyone actually coming up with a single name of someone who fitted that bill, was available, and willing to come to Norwich? Well now we have Round 2 - but with defenders. Give me a NAME. Who did Worthy, in his blindess/stupidity/negligence/whatever, overlook, or rather (your assumption seems to be) choose to ignore? Which quality defender, fit but with no likelihood of a first-team place, have we missed out on? Name names, please.

[quote]I''ve missed the point Campbell?. If that is the case, then you have lost touch with reality pal!. As other''s have said, we have the worst defence in the league, and are now joint bottom this morning...[/quote]

1st Wizard, your entire post is laughable; you clearly know nothing about transfer dealings within football...football club finances or just football in general by the looks of things.

I''ll tell you why Ashton signed for us: We were the only club other than Palace who showed a really genuine interest in him. WOW! We managed to fight off Palace

Dean sees us as the club who will be the stepping stone to eventually joining one of the big 5 in England, and eventually becoming an England regular. So you actually think that Spurs, Blackburn and Birmingham desperately wanted him too, but we managed to fend them off? Get real Mr Wizard!

Again, if you think keeping clean sheets and not conceding many goals is just about the back 4, then you''re a clueless fool. If you think about it logically and actually use your brain, you would know that we were realistically (Important word in the football world) NOT going to sign any defenders in the window...

If you''re so sure that we should have signed at least one defender...then name him. Come on, who, realistically, is the man that would have considerably improved our defence? Who is the man to replace our captain at the back? Who is the man to replace Gary Doherty, our best defender in recent games? Who is the man to replace a good left back in Simon Charlton? Who is the man to replace Dainish captian Thomas Helveg at right back who has been great when played there? Well 1st Wizard...got an answer?

My rosy little world? I live in the REAL world, making judgements from what I actually know, it''s called factual information...and if you think there are good Premiership players gagging to join us, and there is a big pot of endless money to sign them, then it is you who needs the reality check.

Your assumptions about our football club are WAY off 1st Wizard, WAY off.

I only have a problem with your posts when they are so wide of the mark that you need to be corrected, or are just drivel full of stuff about spells...  

We have done well in the transfer window, whether you want to believe or not.

Old Boy is right this is round two.   people on here are always quick to criticise the board and management without thinking just how hard it is.

I have a HUGE amount of repsect for Wiz as a poster and a fellow City fan, but I asked him to name names during round 1 and he chose to ignore that.  I suspect that he will be unable to name anyone this time around, that Nigel could have easily got on loan.  One name is hard enough let alone the 2 quality loan signings that he wanted.

Come on all of you that are upset we didn''t get any more signings, please think about it:

You wanted Nigel to find 2 players that:

1) are better than what we have

2) wages are affordable

3) are not getting 1st team football

4) are not injured or otherwise unfit

5) want to join a relegation battle

6) their club want to let them go

7) their club are willing to let them go to Norwich

8) want to re-locate or live out of a hotel for 3 monhts (want to Wiz, yes Huckerby did, but that was his choice, as these boards demonstrate not everyone is the same)

9) didn''t have a better offer from a better club

10) agent agree that Norwich would be a good move

11) like Norwich

12) like Nigel Worthington

13) like our coaching staff

14) like our facilities

15) like the rest of the squad

16) like the Norfolk accent

17) like the colour yellow, okay I''m being stupid now, but you get the point I hope.  It''s not easy, it is down to personal preferences.

Plus people are assuming that Nigel has done nothing just because we haven''t heard anything and are happy to moan about him and the board.   Well think about first.  Why would any business publicise their failures?   They wouldn''t.  I am a salesman.  When my customers ask for references I tell them about the business I have won, not the business I have lost. 

Yes Wiz Huckerby joined us and stayed in a hotel for 3 months, but he was out of favour at Man City, not getting 1st team football and joined a club that looked like gaining promotion to the Prem.  Also a club where he knew he would be the main man and he still is today.

I am looking forward to getting my season ticket (at last) and watching us whether we are Fizzy or Prem next season.   The future of NCFC is better than it has been for years, so lets get on with supporting.

[quote]A certain Mr Huckerby turned West Brom down flat for us Smudge........ Okay he wasn''t a Birmingham player, but I don''t think Man City is nearer to us then West Brom. Yes, I cheated with that one!. A...[/quote]

Do you have any clue what you''re talking about?

Darren Huckerby dislikes Gary Megson''s management style as we know and had already been with us for 3 months, and he loved it here...that''s why he didn''t join West Brom. It is out of courtesy that he went to speak to WBA, he''s a good professional.

You must be going senile 1st Wizard!

We had problems scoring goals- Nigel has fixed that. We had problems with our pysical presence in midfield- Nigel has fixed that to season''s end. We have shipped more goals than anyone else- er, its gone unfixed. You will see that I have advocated for many a month that for me priority number one was to fix the defence. I am happy we have Deano, happy we have Stuart, but what I really felt was needed has not happened. If we only had one signing then my view is that it should have been something better either for height, pace, organisation. A tight defence means your forwards are under less pressure.

Imagine what Leon thinks every time he gets the ball in the box "Jeez, I better score this because we could concede another at any time back there". This isn''t a moan as I anybody who reads my posts properly will know I think the Board have done a wonderful job. But I think its only natural to be worrried that what seemed to be THE key weakness has gone unremedied.

But surely the point here isn''t that the problems at the back haven''t been fixed - that''s a given.  The issue seems to be that some on here think we didn''t attempt to rectify those problems - this is something I''m not sure we''ll ever know.  It would certainly appear that there weren''t too many defenders who moved on loan during January who would have SIGNIFICANTLY improved our squad, Davenport being perhaps the only exception.  Yes, I would have love us to get someone in and believe that we probably tried very hard to do so, but we haven''t, so it''s time to get on with it!

[quote]1st Wizard, your entire post is laughable; you clearly know nothing about transfer dealings within football...football club finances or just football in general by the looks of things. I''ll tell you ...[/quote]

Campbell and Stevenage Fan: The reason I can''t name one quality defender available on loan is very simple.

I don''t have access to Nigel''s ''other manager''s personal telephone numbers'' book!.

Worthy knows from direct contact with them who''s available, if you expect me to ''second guess'' and also believe that no one of any quality was available for loan, then sorry, but I won''t!.

Campbell: As much as you hate my posts about magic matters, many others love them. 

Now this might come as a bit of a shock you, but I''m not about to change my style, just because you don''t like them!.

Just like me, you''re not that important.

You will have to live with that fact.

Wiz, just because you can''t second guess, does that mean that Nigel hasn''t tried?

Your quote "I cannot accept that two more quality loan players, would have broken this club financially. Not with what''s at stake here, I just can''t, sorry."

You are making a massive assumption that Nigel just sat back and twiddled his thumbs not bothering to get a loan in.  Thus giving you the right to moan about Nigel and the board for not getting anyone in if we don''t stay up.

That is just not fair, you, I or anyone else cannot possibly know what Nigel and co went through during both transfer periods, so to lay the blame at their door is not fair.  For all you know Nigel could have worked himself into the ground trying to get these two more quality loan players and simply failed. 

It is only these kind of subjects that I feel I have to disagree with you on BTW, you are normally entertaining and informative, when you are not trying too hard to be sarcastic or patronising

[quote]Campbell and Stevenage Fan : The reason I can''t name one quality defender available on loan is very simple. I don''t have access to Nigel''s ''other manager''s personal telephone numbers'' book!. Worthy ...[/quote]

1st Wizard: what the hell are you on about!? Yet another drivel post I see!

Ok, so I dislike your ''wizard'' posts, but when have I ever asked you to change your style?! Or are you just making stuff up to give you something to ''come back'' with? I agree that there are some who like your posts about spells and the like, and that''s fine. However, on the other hand, you make out that I am the only one who dislikes those ''wizard'' posts and your general drivel...and that''s not the case.

Also, when have I EVER said that I am important? Where on earth do you get that from?!

[quote]Wiz, just because you can''t second guess, does that mean that Nigel hasn''t tried? Your quote " I cannot accept that two more quality loan players, would have broken this club financially. Not with ...[/quote]

StevenageFan: After digesting and considering your well written post on this subject, I am prepared to reconsider my stance on this.

Please don''t mistake this as a climb down or an apologise, wizards don''t do that sort of thing my friend!. Put it down to your obvious skill as a writer.

Your points are so well made I cannot argue against them and still retain any credibility. That would be very foolish of me.

Me patronising?, I do try hard not to be so. Arrogant?, certainly at times, but never patronising, although I will admit some poster''s push me pretty close to it at times!.

I still have this little nagging doubt at the back of my head though "Did we really try that hard". But like the wise sage Templeton said, I guess we''ll never know for sure, will we.

But as you point out, I may have been unfair on Nigel, but that''s what frustration does to me I''m afraid. Although in my defence, money as an issue, was mentioned by him, on at least one occassion I believe.

I did praise the board at the beginning of this thread (although certain poster''s choose to ignore this!) and that''s unheard of for me.

Did it hurt?. You bet it did my friend.