Sign in to follow this  

Scotland played a 4-6-0 formation last night.. I think its crazy - no pressure on the ball/defenders, no threat to the defence..

What is the worst formation?

I''d like to see a return to 2-3-5...

City played a 4-6-0 at Reading in the season we got relegated.

It could be argued that the "6" was a "5", but as the "1" was Russell, I''m sticking with my view that it was a 4-6-0.

"There are always people who will say that if we had a striker or two strikers we would have had more chance of scoring goals but against a quality team like the Czech Republic you''ve also got a greater chance of losing goals."

Words on the game from Mr Levein himself, i could understand packing out the midfield if the were playing Spain....But the Czech Republic?

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

It could be argued that the "6" was a "5", but as the "1" was Russell, I''m sticking with my view that it was a 4-6-0.

[/quote]

Nice touch, mate!

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

[/quote]

As one of the 6 was Fotheringham, perhaps it was actually 4-5-0.

Quieroz used to play 4-6-0 while managing the Portuguese U21''s years ago, and it was devastating. He had a lot of influence in the way Sir Alex was playing his 4-3-3 a couple of years ago, with Ronaldo, Rooney and Giggs all in attacking roles, but none of them taking on a traditional striking role. They were so interchangable with each other and the midfield 3 that a midfield 6 was often in effect, and the defence just didn''t know who to cover or who was coming from where. What I''m saying is, it''s not automatically defensive as a formation, but if you tell your whole midfield 6 to play behind the ball then of course it is. But when it''s designed to confuse the opposition and you''re using attacking players in it, even if not explicitly as strikers, it can be very, very attacking.

[quote user="SWP"]The Scotland national side, and Rangers when they play in Europe, are a disgrace with their tactics, some kind of Scottish version of catenaccio!  They certainly deserve all they get, hope Spain give them a thrashing midweek.[/quote]Scotland go into every game trying to avoid a twatting.. the sad thing is they have some decent players and if they had a go would win more than they lost....

Its a daft formation playing without a recognised front man because you automatically give the iniative to the opposition and that can be very hard to wrestle back. Blackpool have showed with their 4-3-3 formation that the best way to play the game is to get on the front foot and attempt to probe the opposition weaknesses. I also take issue with an earlier poster refering to the formation Manchester United played as it always contained a front man. In that system Ronaldo was often played as a centre forward down the middle to utilise his pace while Rooney was played from the left hand side. With either Giggs, Nani or Park being played from the other side it was effectively the 4-5-1/4-3-3 we see an awful lot in the game today.

[quote user="Jacko"]

Its a daft formation playing without a recognised front man because you automatically give the iniative to the opposition and that can be very hard to wrestle back. Blackpool have showed with their 4-3-3 formation that the best way to play the game is to get on the front foot and attempt to probe the opposition weaknesses. I also take issue with an earlier poster refering to the formation Manchester United played as it always contained a front man. In that system Ronaldo was often played as a centre forward down the middle to utilise his pace while Rooney was played from the left hand side. With either Giggs, Nani or Park being played from the other side it was effectively the 4-5-1/4-3-3 we see an awful lot in the game today.

[/quote]Yes, it did always contain a recognised striker - my point was it was so fluid that two banks of three were often one bank of six. I''m not saying its a pure 4-6-0 but the principles were there. I''m not the only one to have noticed: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/european_football/article3648903.ece

[quote user="If wed kept Howie.."]Scotland played a 4-6-0 formation last night.. I think its crazy - no pressure on the ball/defenders, no threat to the defence..

What is the worst formation?

I''d like to see a return to 2-3-5...[/quote]0-0-10

[quote user="26mjw"][quote user="Jacko"]

[/quote]

Yes, it did always contain a recognised striker - my point was it was so fluid that two banks of three were often one bank of six. I''m not saying its a pure 4-6-0 but the principles were there. I''m not the only one to have noticed: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/european_football/article3648903.ece

[/quote]

Very interesting read. Like you say world class players like Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez will always have the awareness to in effect become the centre forward if one of the others drop wide or deep to receive the ball so there will always be one centre forward so it will never be a pure 4-6-0. But I think Craig Levein is being very optimistic if he thinks the likes of Jamie Mackie and Kenny Miller have that ability!

I remember Peter Grant pretty much doing this at Charlton a few years back. Played 4-5-1 with Chris Brown playing up front. From the start I knew from the fact that Chris brown was upfront by his own we had very little chance of scoring. But we pretty much parked the bus and barely attacked at all. We almost got out with a point but two late penalties gave charlton the win. Probably deserved it for doing that