Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

NAME THAT NORWICH CITY TEAM v QPR (a) 1989

Can''t get the 6 lettered striker. Otherwise mnaged to do first time around with no spelling mistakes!  Kept thinking of a lot of 5-lettered forwards at the club in that period including an infamous one who we signed later in that season from Fulham, I think, who still gets a regular mention on this message board ... but need help for the 6 lettered one playing that day.

7 out of 11, not bad since I didn''t start supporting until Bayern Munich time.

Can''t get the central defender with 8 letters, right winger, Centre Mid with 6 letters, Striker with 6 letters.

[quote user="plengcharthai"]Can''t get the 6 lettered striker. Otherwise mnaged to do first time around with no spelling mistakes!  Kept thinking of a lot of 5-lettered forwards at the club in that period including an infamous one who we signed later in that season from Fulham, I think, who still gets a regular mention on this message board ... but need help for the 6 lettered one playing that day.[/quote]I had to look him up. Best known for his time at West Ham.

Got them all but struggled with the left midfielder and the six letter striker. The midfielder is tricky as he didn''t (as far as I can recall) often play wide left. The striker was not an automatic first choice.

Great midfield in that team. Very average front pairing!

[quote user="Refs are sometimes blind"]ot everyone except the 6 letter striker, must be a player who only played the odd game[/quote]

Yeah, if I remember correctly (from when I was 9) the 6 letter striker only played a couple of games for us. He was about 40 though at the time... More famous for his time at West Ham and the FA Cup win they had back in the 70s. But if I remember correctly he scored a last minute equaliser against QPR in this match to secure a point for us on the most sand ridden pitch I''ve ever seen.

Aside from the two strikers, we had a first rate team back then.

[quote user="El Choppo"][quote user="El Choppo"]Wasn''t this the game where Coney scored with his arse?[/quote]D''oh, obviously not.[/quote]

No, I think Coney scored off his arse against Aston Villa against Nigel Spink. I could be wrong of course.

Ah! Of course! Got the 6-lettered striker, now - thanks Purple Canary and Canary Poirot (your expertise for clues is renowned)

At the time, I was living in north-west London, where the 7-lettered striker had played most of his early football. People there couldn''t believe he went on to play top-flight football - many desparaging remarks and jokes were made regarding his ability.

I think it was a few weeks later that 2 5-lettered strikers shared 8 goals in a cup-tie against Sutton.