Sign in to follow this  
Jonnyboy

Good Lunch time read about us... by a QPR fan

I know it''s not lunch time but I was bored and found this piece on a QPR fans page. Well worth a read if you scroll down to the Norwich history lesson, it then carries on to tell you about who they believe to be our main threats and previous games! notably Hoolahan, Nelson and Lappin being the only survivors of that fateful year... cort up front says it all...

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/fb_news.php?storyid=9636&title=first_v_third_as_qpr_tackle_canaries_–_full_match_preview

The writer (Clive) is a journalist and does the previews and match reports out of his love of QPR. Always a good read.

[quote user="Hoopy"]The writer (Clive) is a journalist and does the previews and match reports out of his love of QPR. Always a good read.[/quote]

I found it a very interesting read - and do actually agree with many of his thoughts and opinions.....

No love lost between (Clive) and Mick Dennis I see.....I wonder if Mr Dennis will be attending the game tomorrow?

Shouldn''t be difficult to spot Mick Dennis if he does attend.....He''ll be sat right alongside our Delia and her hubby Micky Wynn....

It''s the ongoing row that Dennis has with QPR over the fact that we didn''t have any hot water for one game and he couldn''t get a cup of tea.

He wrote a very critical opinionated article a few years back and when challenged with it he replied with the following:

As I say, I have made several visits to the away end as a Norwich fan, and they have all been awful -- not because of the football (Norwich won some of them!) but because, although I have watched Norwich at more than 80 grounds, the QPR experience is among the worst.

The catering facilities are certainly among the worst. I''d say Port Vale are the only ones I have encountered where the staff care less and have worse equipment than at Loftus Road. On one visit, the kiosks were both shut until one, dispirited girl arrived ten minutes before kick-off and opened one. A huge queue formed. She fiddled about for a while and then announced: "Sorry, there''s no hot water". Then she closed the kiosk again.

The School End stand IS dank. The area behind both the upper and lower tiers is completely enclosed by concrete and not properly ventilated. I''ve been dripped on by condensation (I hope it was condensation!) while queuing for the terribly inadequate refreshments. And, since the club was forced to put extra gangways into the seating to comply with safety requirements, there are odd dead-end arrangements and random bits of metal.

Professionally, I''ve had lots of dealings with QPR. I interviewed Chris Wright for the Standard when he was your chairman and, in response to my outlining some of the above to him, he said that Jim Gregory had put the stands up on the cheap and that there were all sorts of design faults.

John Gregory told me that, on his first day as manager, he was astonished to find a plank of wood, the sort you put on scaffolding, in the middle of the changing room floor at the training ground. When he asked what it was doing there, everyone just shrugged. It had been there for years, someone said. Gregory was definitely of the opinion that the club had been allowed to decay. That was his phrase.

All those accumulated experiences, plus the shambles of the gun episode, the blackmail allegations etc, led me to the view that, over the last couple of decades, QPR have become a shoddy little club. I don''t expect you to agree, of course.

Your passion for the club does you credit. We''ll have to agree to disagree.

Mick Dennis

Based on his response, I wouldn''t expect you to have a high opinion of him. However, I can''t argue with him about the standard of the facilities, they are pretty poor. The only thing I like about that stand is how loud it seems because of the low roof.

His conclusion the QPR are "a shoddy little club" seems unwarranted, but other than that (assuming John Gregory is quoted correctly) it doesn''t seem to be too unfair. Whether his experience of the facilities has lead him to be unduely harsh when reviewing the QPR team''s performance is another matter.

Can''t say I like the guy myself to be perfectly honest. Any fan of Roeder''s is surely not a fan of Norwich.

Poor old Mick-it was "dank"?

Please, won''t someone think of the children, won''t someone, please, think of the children?

For goodness sake. "Dank". How many times did Mick stand on the Barclay in the 70''s and 80''s? We would have taken "dank" in an instant, we would have dug, "dank" infact.

The old Wembley was as dank as they come, dank, rank, and it stank...but it was treated with the sort of reverence that is usually reserved for the pyramids and such like.

Anyone remember the old away end at Elm Park (Reading)?

Or walking over the pile of damp (and dank) earth to get to the away terracing at the old (Plough Lane) Wimbledon?

"Dank". Oh dear. For what its worth, I like Loftus Road, always have done. Neat, compact, good atmosphere. Not perfect, of course, but these "perfect" new stadiums are the ones that get all the stick because they have no character.

Depends on how you look at it-one persons dank is another persons character.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]For what its worth, I like Loftus Road, always have done. Neat, compact, good atmosphere. Not perfect, of course, but these "perfect" new stadiums are the ones that get all the stick because they have no character.

Depends on how you look at it-one persons dank is another persons character.[/quote]Yep. I''d much rather go to a tight little ground that''s part of it''s local community than some soulless bowl next to a motorway. Really looking forward to going to Loftus Road for the first time tomorrow, looks like an ace little ground.

[quote user="Hoopy"]It''s the ongoing row that Dennis has with QPR over the fact that we didn''t have any hot water for one game and he couldn''t get a cup of tea. He wrote a very critical opinionated article a few years back and when challenged with it he replied with the following: As I say, I have made several visits to the away end as a Norwich fan, and they have all been awful -- not because of the football (Norwich won some of them!) but because, although I have watched Norwich at more than 80 grounds, the QPR experience is among the worst. The catering facilities are certainly among the worst. I''d say Port Vale are the only ones I have encountered where the staff care less and have worse equipment than at Loftus Road. On one visit, the kiosks were both shut until one, dispirited girl arrived ten minutes before kick-off and opened one. A huge queue formed. She fiddled about for a while and then announced: "Sorry, there''s no hot water". Then she closed the kiosk again. The School End stand IS dank. The area behind both the upper and lower tiers is completely enclosed by concrete and not properly ventilated. I''ve been dripped on by condensation (I hope it was condensation!) while queuing for the terribly inadequate refreshments. And, since the club was forced to put extra gangways into the seating to comply with safety requirements, there are odd dead-end arrangements and random bits of metal. Professionally, I''ve had lots of dealings with QPR. I interviewed Chris Wright for the Standard when he was your chairman and, in response to my outlining some of the above to him, he said that Jim Gregory had put the stands up on the cheap and that there were all sorts of design faults. John Gregory told me that, on his first day as manager, he was astonished to find a plank of wood, the sort you put on scaffolding, in the middle of the changing room floor at the training ground. When he asked what it was doing there, everyone just shrugged. It had been there for years, someone said. Gregory was definitely of the opinion that the club had been allowed to decay. That was his phrase. All those accumulated experiences, plus the shambles of the gun episode, the blackmail allegations etc, led me to the view that, over the last couple of decades, QPR have become a shoddy little club. I don''t expect you to agree, of course. Your passion for the club does you credit. We''ll have to agree to disagree. Mick Dennis[/quote]

I wonder if Mick would dare complain to Delia - if the red wine with his pre-match 3 course lunch at Carra, wasn''t at room temperature?

Christ that QPR fan knows more about us than what anybody ever asociated with Norwich City ever has!

Except its spoiled when saying that Dublin was still with us during the relegation campaign and the Doc was the worst footballer ever!

[quote user="Hoopy"]Is Mick Dennis ex-Chelsea? Never knew that.[/quote]I''m afraid so, Hoopy.Mick joined the local Norwich paper in the mid-70''s as a football reporter and quickly succumbed to all the charms of the '' Fine City '' including the Canaries..... of course! I remember he came down to London one evening to meet the Capital Canaries and confessed all.I''m sure if you make him a nice cup of

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Hoopy"]Is Mick Dennis ex-Chelsea? Never knew that.[/quote]I''m afraid so, Hoopy.Mick joined the local Norwich paper in the mid-70''s as a football reporter and quickly succumbed to all the charms of the '' Fine City '' including the Canaries..... of course! I remember he came down to London one evening to meet the Capital Canaries and confessed all.I''m sure if you make him a nice cup of [/quote]( no edit button on this site )..... I''m sure if you make him a nice cup of '' Rosie Lee '' tomorrow all will be forgiven.