Sign in to follow this  
yoda

Slightly off subject of QPR game memories

Does anyone remember a game at home to Forest , i think around 79 , at the time they were almost unbeatable and i think had gone god knows how many games unbeaten and at half time we were already 3-0 down , however we came out in the 2nd half and scored 3 ourselves to draw 3-3 . Keith Robson scored at least one for us and it was a hell of a comeback against an excellent side .

Don''t remember that one Yoda but I do remember playing them when Fashanu first played for us. They had two really tough centrebacks in Larry Lloyd and Kenny Burns. Fash roughed up the pair of them and I remember them both needing treatment that day. I also remember thinking the ref was quite lenient! Or maybe the ref thought they had it coming[;)] I always believed that performance prompted Cloughie to part with 1m.

[quote user="Heresyourfathersgun"]Remember it well. Cloughs stars completely shredded us at 3-0 but we fought back and could have won it. John Ryan scored my all time greatest goal - an absolute thunderbolt at the River End.[/quote]

John Ryan , now he could hit a ball !

Just checked and it was Saturday 25th February 1978. Forest went on to win the 1997/1998 1st Division Title after getting promoted in third place behind Wolves and Chelsea from the 2nd Division the season before.

OK, I just looked it up and still don''t remember it!! It was in 1978 when Ryan used to score for fun.  His goal in that game was apparently a penalty though. And it was Keith Robsons debut too.

And even though Ryan scored for fun that season I never really rated him. But he did have a hell of a shot and I remember a free kick against Wolves I think that nearly broke the net.

My biggest memory of Ryan however was a penalty he missed. We made the trip to Coventry the day after Boxing Day when we''d just beaten ipswich. We lost an incredible game 5-4 but Ryan had his penalty saved in the dying moments of the game.

Yup I was there as well. First game in the South Stand having been ''promoted'' form the River End. Ranks as one of my favourite games of all time. Can still see my 14 year old self jumpong about when our 3rd went in.

[quote user="Harry"]Just checked and it was Saturday 25th February 1978. Forest went on to win the 1997/1998 1st Division Title after getting promoted in third place behind Wolves and Chelsea from the 2nd Division the season before.[/quote]

Well done Harry ! I remember i was standing over the tunnel in the old barclay / southstand corner .

[quote user="yoda"]Does anyone remember a game at home to Forest , i think around 79 , at the time they were almost unbeatable and i think had gone god knows how many games unbeaten and at half time we were already 3-0 down , however we came out in the 2nd half and scored 3 ourselves to draw 3-3 . Keith Robson scored at least one for us and it was a hell of a comeback against an excellent side .[/quote]Being '' of a certain age '' I''m afraid do remember it well........The match was in the spring of the 1977/78 season. Forest had been promoted the previous term and went on to win the First Division title by seven points at their first attempt. We''d somehow managed a 1-1 draw at their place early in the season and with the 3-3 draw were the only team in the division not to lose to Forest that year.John Bond was the manager at the time, and, being a journalists dream of course, he let it be plastered all over the local press that he had a '' plan '' to stop Forest. Needless to say we were 3-0 down after about 20 minutes and inevitably raucous chants of, " John Bond, John Bond what''s the plan ? " from the delirious Forest fans echoed round Carrow Road. We managed to pull a goal back before half-time but things still looked pretty bleak.Incredibly the second half was a complete turnaround, and, although the England forward Tony Woodcock managed to miss a sitter having scored earlier, we pulled it back to 3-3 and could even have won it with an effort from Roger Gibbins ( this match turned out to be his last first team game ).Martin O''Neill also scored for Forest that day.....

Has anyone got an internet resource that shows scorers that far back? Memory fades - I''m convinced Ryan scored a thunderbolt in that game but I could be wrong. Do I remember him scoring a penalty just before half time to make it 3-1? It was indeed 25th February 1978, just as Forest were about to become the team to beat. We also beat Liverpool 2-1 the next season (78-79) - the year they won it conceding only 16 goals all season. Great days!

[quote user="Heresyourfathersgun"]Has anyone got an internet resource that shows scorers that far back? Memory fades - I''m convinced Ryan scored a thunderbolt in that game but I could be wrong. Do I remember him scoring a penalty just before half time to make it 3-1? It was indeed 25th February 1978, just as Forest were about to become the team to beat. We also beat Liverpool 2-1 the next season (78-79) - the year they won it conceding only 16 goals all season. Great days![/quote]

Was it a free kick? Because he nearly broke the net with one of them against Wolves. And that was the same season and also a 3-3 draw.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Heresyourfathersgun"]Has anyone got an internet resource that shows scorers that far back? Memory fades - I''m convinced Ryan scored a thunderbolt in that game but I could be wrong. Do I remember him scoring a penalty just before half time to make it 3-1? It was indeed 25th February 1978, just as Forest were about to become the team to beat. We also beat Liverpool 2-1 the next season (78-79) - the year they won it conceding only 16 goals all season. Great days![/quote]

Was it a free kick? Because he nearly broke the net with one of them against Wolves. And that was the same season and also a 3-3 draw.

[/quote]

To be honest it''s all a blur that long ago! Sitting here, I distinctly remember us pulling it back to 3-1 against Forest just before half time - but was that a Ryan penalty? Therefore knowing I used to stand in the River End, it could''nt have been that game, because the thunderbolt was also at the River End.

Funny thing is I don''t remember the Wolves game - my hard-drive of a brain needs formatting because my files are corrupted!

I just remember a Ryan rocket from about 25 yards, from the right of the goal, at the River End- 30+ years of confusion!

[quote user="Heresyourfathersgun"]Has anyone got an internet resource that shows scorers that far back? Memory fades - I''m convinced Ryan scored a thunderbolt in that game but I could be wrong. Do I remember him scoring a penalty just before half time to make it 3-1? It was indeed 25th February 1978, just as Forest were about to become the team to beat. We also beat Liverpool 2-1 the next season (78-79) - the year they won it conceding only 16 goals all season. Great days![/quote]We did beat Liverpool 2-1 at home two seasons running but that was in the 1977-8 season and the year before, HYFG. In one of those games Liverpool were so on top that they had 19 corners to our one but still lost !!Unfortunately for us season 1978-9 wasn''t quite as memorable. Yes, we did score one of the 16 goals they conceded that year but losing 4-1 at home and 6-0 at Anfield sad to say rather took the gloss off our achievement........

[quote user="Heresyourfathersgun"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

To be honest it''s all a blur that long ago! Sitting here, I distinctly remember us pulling it back to 3-1 against Forest just before half time - but was that a Ryan penalty? Therefore knowing I used to stand in the River End, it could''nt have been that game, because the thunderbolt was also at the River End.

Funny thing is I don''t remember the Wolves game - my hard-drive of a brain needs formatting because my files are corrupted!

I just remember a Ryan rocket from about 25 yards, from the right of the goal, at the River End- 30+ years of confusion!

[/quote]

That''s exactly how it works for me!!! I remember somethings but the rest is a blur. If we could relive the games on dvd we would remember I''m sure. Certain games / incidents stay clearly in my mind like Ryan missing that pen to make it 5-5 at Highfield Road. And remembering Lloyd and Burns getting roughed up by Fash but don''t remember the exact game, just that it was a sunny afternoon!

OK, on the subject of memory tests - when was the Sunderland game when they brought about 6000 fans and we had to give up the middle pens in the Barclay to let them all in - City fans all got squeezed up at the Main Stand corner or into the rest of the ground. Anyone imagine that happening these days!!

Memory says it was a 2-2 draw?

[quote user="Heresyourfathersgun"]

OK, on the subject of memory tests - when was the Sunderland game when they brought about 6000 fans and we had to give up the middle pens in the Barclay to let them all in - City fans all got squeezed up at the Main Stand corner or into the rest of the ground. Anyone imagine that happening these days!!

Memory says it was a 2-2 draw?

[/quote]Statto nerd here again.....Who says we forget when we get older.....it was a 2-2 draw and was the last game of the 1976-77 season. Sunderland were battling relegation but the draw wasn''t enough for them and they went down.As usual for the last game of the season it was a lovely sunny day. Don''t think I''ve ever seen so many away fans at a game. The pub landlords certainly weren''t complaining but there must have been several hundred of them shoe-horned into the Canary Supporters Club on Rosary Road and you couldn''t squeeze a fag paper into our usual watering hole, let alone us.The Health & Safety boys would''ve had a field day......

Certainly was Smithy, and it was just a month after we beat Man Utd and their fans were "given" the Barclay. I don''t think I''ve ever seen so many hooligans at a game and I reckon the pub landlords were cr*pping themslevs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OElGoVlBpqg

The Sunderland game they would have stayed up if they won and they did fight back  to 2-2 in the last 10 mins. Shaun Elliot and Gary Rowell played for Sunderland that day. And surprise surprise it was Coventry City who stayed up because Sunderland only left with a point.

"We had joy, We had fun

We had Norwich on the run

But the fun didn''t last

''cause the bastards ran too fast"

That song rang round the Barclay that day against the Mackems. We were pushed out of the middle pen well before kick off and crowded into the end section against the city stand. The early days of the Snakepit! Lot of unhappy Barclay Boys that day but looking back what else could the OB do faced with 6,000 away fans.

Was fun in the city that day...not. Sometimes you have to hold your hands up and say "fair enough".

As for the Manure game I remember also being in the end section and climbing over the turnstiles to get in as there was such a crowd outside getting more and more irrate as the game had kicked off.

Thinking back there were often queues which turned into a free for all after games (particularly evening games) had kicked off.

Looking at the footage you forget how steep the banking was at the back of the Barclay. I remember being ''ejected'' by a copper when I was about 17 - we climbed up on the wire inside the middle pen and had been pulled down by the old bill - then a meat pie hit the copper on the side of the head and I got the blame. He chucked me down the steps at the back - how I didn''t break my neck - and they chucked me out. Went and watched from the River End for a few seasons after that.

Todays kids don''t realise how rough it was back then and how cushy football is now. It was all good community bonding stuff back then, but you were never far away from being crushed to death, violence or being ankle deep in piss! How I enjoy my seat in the Jarrold!

Without wanting to sound like a retired Danny Dyer - was it an Arsenal game when they pulled out one of the crush barriers in the away pen and tied a stewards white coat on the end and set fire to it, then tried to skewer us with it in the middle pen!

[quote user="Heresyourfathersgun"]Without wanting to sound like a retired Danny Dyer - was it an Arsenal game when they pulled out one of the crush barriers in the away pen and tied a stewards white coat on the end and set fire to it, then tried to skewer us with it in the middle pen![/quote]Almost........but Tottenham fans might be bit miffed to hear you say it  ( lol )

Was there mate when the crash barrier came through which started a very weird tug of war until the boys in blue removed it. The same day they threw candles with sharpened knitting needles pushed through the middle to make a lethal frigging weapon. It was expected to get sharpened coins and the odd dart but that was something else.

I suppose they could have lit the candles and set fire to our waggons that we''d put in a circle in the middle pen.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Heresyourfathersgun"]Without wanting to sound like a retired Danny Dyer - was it an Arsenal game when they pulled out one of the crush barriers in the away pen and tied a stewards white coat on the end and set fire to it, then tried to skewer us with it in the middle pen![/quote]

Almost........but Tottenham fans might be bit miffed to hear you say it  ( lol )

[/quote]

I remember it well - the same season we beat Real Madrid 5-0 in the European Cup quarter final. Time for bed methinks!

[quote user="Heresyourfathersgun"]

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Heresyourfathersgun"]Without wanting to sound like a retired Danny Dyer - was it an Arsenal game when they pulled out one of the crush barriers in the away pen and tied a stewards white coat on the end and set fire to it, then tried to skewer us with it in the middle pen![/quote]Almost........but Tottenham fans might be bit miffed to hear you say it  ( lol )

[/quote]

I remember it well - the same season we beat Real Madrid 5-0 in the European Cup quarter final. Time for bed methinks!

[/quote]Dream on.....I find a nice warm cup of Horlicks has become rather appealing in recent years too!