Sign in to follow this  
archantadams

Are we missing......?

I know it is not for us to get ahead of ourselves with the whole promotion thing but I do think we are missing a Huckerby esque player?

I mean I can see glimpses of quality in every area (Although I think our quality in goal is Dec) Barnett, Crofts, Holt.....

Is Wes our Huckerby player now? Or are we missing that absolute gem such as Huckerby that can bring that cutting edge?

Lots to discuss but I look forward to the banter!

has anyone on here watched rudd when he plays? he looks scared of crosses, and still inexperienced, YES he will become a great keeper, just not yet

Surman may well take that mantle, come the critical time ie. the post-Easter games. I am assuming we will be there or thereabouts at that time of the season. Jackson is quickly becoming "star quality" in my head, if his early promise is anything to go by. 

We may still have Barnett, the choice of strikers as starters or impact players will be defined, the role of McNamee will be established and we will benefit from what I consider to be a fairly strong squad in depth. Better than for many years at the very least.

I get the impression that PL is a manager who prefers a solid all-round group of players who perform well in systems,  rather than a team that is over-dependent upon "stars," who can be harder to choreograph. Hence, some apparent reluctance to use Wes at times.

All being said, a Jimmy Bullard as a Christmas present wouldn''t go amiss.

Like you said, getting ahead of ourselves?  

have we got a Huckerby esque player.....no

I like the current team and yes some have star quality, but the difference with Hucks is he was a star when he came here, you can''t say that about our current team.

I prefer how we are now, in some respects anyway. As much as I loved Hucks, we became very over reliant on him and we became predictable, if you could mark him out of the game (not easy I know) you could basically snuff out all of our creativity in one fell swoop.I think that players like Surman, Jackson and Hoolahan all have the ability to turn on some instant style and create something. Even Crofts breaking from the base of the diamond has shown that he''s more than just a destroyer.

I agree that Surman may well prove to become one of our best players. I think that he is a cut above the rest of the current players, and certainly better than Lappin and anyone else on the left.

When he is fully fit again, I expect him to score goals, and we know already that his passing ability and dead ball delivery is outstanding.

He may not be as quick and exciting as Hucks, but could be just as effective.

Furthering this...... does anyone in the league have a huckerby esque player? Its funny also who have been mentioned Holt wasn''t one of them. Furthering my opinion that he isn''t you archetypal "Star" but moreover a "gifted grafter"

[quote user="archantadams"]Furthering this...... does anyone in the league have a huckerby esque player? Its funny also who have been mentioned Holt wasn''t one of them. Furthering my opinion that he isn''t you archetypal "Star" but moreover a "gifted grafter"[/quote]

An unrealistic comparison really. Huckerby played at international level, although his one "B" call-up should really have been more and in the "proper" team. During our Premiership spell, he was again briefly touted as a full international because of his contributions at the time and England''s lack of a left-sided player of quality.

He was sought after by the top teams and commanded a fee of £6m. His relative lack of success/opportunity at Leeds was more down to the quality of their squad at the time than to his own ability, as he was very much a Premiership player, IMHO. Poor old Grant has always been at the other end of the spectrum and let''s hope he becomes very much a Championship player.

I again mention Jimmy Bullard, as he is the only "Huckerbyesque" player in the Championship who springs to mind. One or two others might materialise, but they will soon be snapped up by Premiership clubs. Bullard would if it had not been for his injury problems.