Sign in to follow this  
Bruce Eats Walkers!

Time for Achange of penalty taker?

I know Wes has only missed one but three games in a row he has gone for the left side. The Leicster Keeper had no chance, James went the right way and was close to getting a hand to it last week. Today Paddy Kenny was right over the bottom left corner and I think, if it was on target, would have saved it. My question is this Would Holt then take the pens if a new taker was required or would someone else, like Jackson, Crofts etc, step up, or could we choose when the situation arose. I believe Wes to be a good Penalty taker but people seem to have figured out his one footedness and know he will aim his pen left. Thoughts?

Its a lottery, how do you know, that the next keep will think, he''s hit it to the left the last 3 times, now he is defiantly going to hit it right/center....I''m sure when McVeigh was taking pens, he nearly always hit them down the middle.....

Couldn''t agree more, shall we also change manager? Yes he has done well until now...but he did draw his last game.Also, what the hell was the sponge man playing at, get him out now and swap him with the guy down the car wash.

He''s scored two out of his last three and I think that is the first one he has missed for Norwich?  His last two penalties were really good and I''m sure he will take the next one we get.  And if your saying that he always goes to the keepers left then didn''t Van Nilstelrooy always used to go to the keepers right?  He hardly ever missed a pen!

And to answer your question on who would take them if Wes didn''t then I think Ward would.  He used to take penalties for his other clubs.

Who cares if the keeper nearly got to the previous two penalties? Wes scored two fantastic pens, Ok this one went wide, but every great player misses once in a while. He is not incapable of putting the ball in other parts if the goa, but he is clearly good enough to slot it in that corner even if the Gk has guessed the correct way.

No, Wes should keep them, everyone misses one! Even Graham Alexander!

Although I was wondering why Holt doesnt fancy them, he could have had an extra 7/8 goals last year had he of taken pens!

Did we have that many pens? I don''t remember any :P

I don''t think its up to the players...i think Lambert decides, Holt probably does fancy them, but if he took the ball of Hoolahan and took it, Lambert wouldn''t be happy....

Lol - I opened this thread thinking it would be about something different to what it said but I think

1. The op is serious

2. The op is not a binner taking the p*ss

3. The op is not a QPR fan taking the p*ss

4. The op really is serious

I can only think the op wants to give Holt a bit of confidence. Maybe the op could let us know the goal scoring record of Holt from the spot, I would suggest its not brilliant or he would have already been taking them.

[quote user="Crofts Number 1 Fan"]

He''s scored two out of his last three and I think that is the first one he has missed for Norwich?

He missed one against Colchester.

[/quote]I remember seeing him miss 1 at southampton last season aswell, but we scored the rebound [:P]Just because he''s missed one, doesn''t mean we have to change him. He''s a good penalty taker. However, poor of him not to hit the target, you would expect that at the very least.

I was there and I genuinely thought he would miss it. I think we should give Ward a go. His pens are superb of what I have seen. I am not just saying this cause he missed today either, I just don''t think Hoolahan gets brilliant placement, and he doesn''t exactly make up for it with power.

Not saying he''s a poor taker, just like to see someone else given a go, maybe Ward. Having said that, I don''t go to training sessions so I don''t know how good anyone else is at them.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]although maybe hoolys penalty record is better than holts.[/quote]Neither of them especially great in my personal opinion. Just from the top of my head i can think of 4 Hoolahan misses (today, Colchester, and for Blackpool against us and against Preston), and certainly not much was made of Holt and his exploits at the spot in his time at Shrewsbury.Having said that, they''re both very capable, if flawed in some respects, and such duties appointed to either will do them a world of confidence as attack minded players.The only other proven contender i can think of is Ward, who was the regular penalty taker at Coventry. As for his record there i''m oblivious to it, but i know he scored a couple against us from the spot.It''s up to Lambert to discover who it should be, if neither Hoolahan nor Holt. This sounds like a job more suited to the training ground, where Paul as an overseer can contrast and compare the aptitude of contenders for such duties, as much as a lack of atmosphere may not provide the kind of acid test required to make a reliable choice.

Never really been too confident with Wes on pens mainly because he goes the same way everytime, I think even David Marshall (I think it was Marshall?) saved a Wes penalty against Blackpool. I too, like John would like to see Ward take them with the no nonsense style.