Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

Please Don't Sing That Burley Song....

.......on Tuesday vs Palace. Remember we have Scots in the team and managing the side and it will be a stupid thing to do because it will just sound like we have an attitude to Burley and his race.

Better go tell all the ''real supporters'' in the Barclay (lower, there probably aren''t any in the upper, they don''t make enough noise) and those hard nuts in the snake pit...

I was thinking the same thing. We could change the word ''Scottish'' for ''Binner'' of course.

Oi ! I''m in the Upper, Young Ginger, there''s plenty of noise there.

Thank you, thank you so much.

"like we have an attitude to Burley and his race"

err, I think everyone has an attitude to almost everything

as to the scots being a race, what kind of race is that, the egg and spoon ?

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"].......on Tuesday vs Palace. Remember we have Scots in the team and managing the side and it will be a stupid thing to do because it will just sound like we have an attitude to Burley and his race.[/quote]I think we should sing it, its all about Burley, and not about Scots in general.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"].......on Tuesday vs Palace. Remember we have Scots in the team and managing the side and it will be a stupid thing to do because it will just sound like we have an attitude to Burley and his race.[/quote]

I think we should sing it, its all about Burley, and not about Scots in general.
[/quote]

That''s a copout, the word "Scottish" is used as an insult.

I''m with Rude Old on this one but don''t hold out much hope of success.

[quote user="canary cherub "]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"].......on Tuesday vs Palace. Remember we have Scots in the team and managing the side and it will be a stupid thing to do because it will just sound like we have an attitude to Burley and his race.[/quote]I think we should sing it, its all about Burley, and not about Scots in general.[/quote]

[/quote]Lol, no its not, its describing him, its just added into the song line so it fits.

[quote user="canary cherub "]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"].......on Tuesday vs Palace. Remember we have Scots in the team and managing the side and it will be a stupid thing to do because it will just sound like we have an attitude to Burley and his race.[/quote]

I think we should sing it, its all about Burley, and not about Scots in general.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Now let me get this right Cherub....................The song is exclusively sung to and about one person,his name is George Burley and he is Scottish so where is the problem? Is anything factually incorrect or slanderous?

[quote user="City1st"] as to the scots being a race, what kind of race is that, the egg and spoon ?[/quote]

I bet they woudn''t get through the qualifiers in that either.......

"Is anything factually incorrect or slanderous?"

If I remember the song correctly, it called into question his parentage. So arguably, yes.

Still funny though. And Rudolph is being over-sensitive.

Agree with Rudolph in that I think the use of ''Scottish'' is used as an insult as well as to complete the lyric, and I think what with Paul Lambert and our scottish players it would be a dumb to sing right now.

It will most likely be sung though, and I doubt in the world of football and what goes on it Paul Lambert is going to give one about a song directed at GB

I reserve that particular song only for the ''Scummers'' and adapt it to who ever is in charge , and of course this season it will be Roy.

[quote user="ThorpeCanary"]Agree with Rudolph in that I think the use of ''Scottish'' is used as an insult as well as to complete the lyric, and I think what with Paul Lambert and our scottish players it would be a dumb to sing right now.

It will most likely be sung though, and I doubt in the world of football and what goes on it Paul Lambert is going to give one about a song directed at GB[/quote]So, because I''m Scottish, all the countless times I have sung it I''m actually insulting myself?Crikey.

[quote user="canary_girl"]How does the song actually go?[/quote]Sung to the tune of "Daydream believer" by the Monkees."F uck of George Burleeee, oh what can it mean,To a sad Scottish bastard, and a sh it foot ball team"

[quote user="morty"][quote user="ThorpeCanary"]Agree with Rudolph in that I think the use of ''Scottish'' is used as an insult as well as to complete the lyric, and I think what with Paul Lambert and our scottish players it would be a dumb to sing right now.

It will most likely be sung though, and I doubt in the world of football and what goes on it Paul Lambert is going to give one about a song directed at GB[/quote]So, because I''m Scottish, all the countless times I have sung it I''m actually insulting myself?Crikey.[/quote]Well thats how ive always viewed it as, the use of the word "Scottish" intended as an insult.I may be wrong, it may just be there to fit the song as you''ve said

[quote user="ThorpeCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="ThorpeCanary"]Agree with Rudolph in that I think the use of ''Scottish'' is used as an insult as well as to complete the lyric, and I think what with Paul Lambert and our scottish players it would be a dumb to sing right now.

It will most likely be sung though, and I doubt in the world of football and what goes on it Paul Lambert is going to give one about a song directed at GB[/quote]So, because I''m Scottish, all the countless times I have sung it I''m actually insulting myself?Crikey.[/quote]Well thats how ive always viewed it as, the use of the word "Scottish" intended as an insult.I may be wrong, it may just be there to fit the song as you''ve said[/quote]Well I don''t feel insulted, so it must be just to fit the song.[:)]

[quote user="ThorpeCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="ThorpeCanary"]Agree with Rudolph in that I think the use of ''Scottish'' is used as an insult as well as to complete the lyric, and I think what with Paul Lambert and our scottish players it would be a dumb to sing right now. It will most likely be sung though, and I doubt in the world of football and what goes on it Paul Lambert is going to give one about a song directed at GB[/quote]

So, because I''m Scottish, all the countless times I have sung it I''m actually insulting myself?

Crikey.
[/quote]

Well thats how ive always viewed it as, the use of the word "Scottish" intended as an insult.
I may be wrong, it may just be there to fit the song as you''ve said
[/quote]

If I remember rightly the original was actually a chart hit for some Sunderland fans. It was a complimentary take on the old Monkee''s hit "Sleepy Jean". But the Geordies got hold of it and sang "Cheer up Peter Reid oh what can it be to a sad Mackem b*****d and a s**t football team."

When we adapted it for Burley we obviously replaced "Mackem" with "Scottish". I expect many Scottish City fans have sung it without ever even thinking about it being insulting.

fair enough NN! Just when I thought about it I guess that if I was a fan of a scottish side singing that with ''English'' inserted instead, I may have had to sing that begrudgingly!

slight mis-understanding here. The presence of the word Scottish is purely descriptive on Burley, the emphasis not being toward his nation?.If an opposition club were to sing about a manager using the line ''sad English b*****d'' ,I certainly wouldn''t take offence as I would realise that it is about the man himself.

Sing it. He''s a scummer. He''s up there with Wark, Gates, Mills and Micky feckin Stockwell. Couldn''t care less if he was born in Scotland or on Mars (he looks like a cross between the two), I hate the pr1ck

It''s not insulting to Scots, just to him. If Lambert takes offense, I''d be very surprised. There is nothing wrong with singing it, stop over exaggerating. I''d imagine when we were singing it to Burley we had several Scots in the squad, Mackay, Holt off the top of my head?