Sign in to follow this  
Sim086

Korey Smith

I wanted to get an idea of what people feel aboout this guy after recent performances, i have been to every game bar bristol, and i must admit last few games i have not been impressed, i think his work rate is unquestionable and does defend well, but i think he lacks a little in vision and passing ability, and can keep the ball too long, certinley today at QPR, dont get me wrong i think he is a good player and is still very young, just wondered what other people thought? personally i would like someone a bit more creative there, as i think are midfield is lacking a little in creativity, certinley after hoolhan came off today that was clear to see

Well, when Surman is back, he will be more creative....

The only option is Hughes, but he has had little time to show what he can do, and Korey has, and what i have seen from him (haven''t seen last few games) has been all good....

I agree that his decision making is not the best and he can sometimes make the wrong decision when we are on the break or he has 2/3 options avaliable. But this will come!!

But without his constant hasling on other players and making them hurry is missed when he doesn''t play. So for that reason he must play!

i agree banana it is tricky, is closing down and work rate are awesome and there is no doubt he stops other teams being creative, its just i duno if you were at the game today but there was couple time when we could of broke down the right and he just dithered on the ball and lost it, and pele agree about surman but i think he will be in for lappin and nothing against lappin be cause i think he has been excellent but i cant see him playing two left footers in the midfield

Not at the game today. Listened though!!

Maybe smith is a player we should play vs stronger teams to help break then up and play hughes vs weaker teams who has more passing quality to help create chances?!

of course its serious, its a debate about the player no-one is saying he bad stick your dummy back in just questioning would we prefer a more creative player then him, what are your thoughts please share, i am sorry i share a different opinion to u

yeah possibly banana, not sure about hughes not seen enough of him, i would like to see a little bit more of fox, because he is supposed to be a very good passer, but no where near going to be effective defensively if watford is anything to go by!

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Well, when Surman is back, he will be more creative....

The only option is Hughes, but he has had little time to show what he can do, and Korey has, and what i have seen from him (haven''t seen last few games) has been all good....[/quote]Deary me, has Fox really dropped that far down the list? From what i can gather he was on the bench today and Hughes wasn''t.

[quote user="John"][quote user="Gingerpele"]Well, when Surman is back, he will be more creative.... The only option is Hughes, but he has had little time to show what he can do, and Korey has, and what i have seen from him (haven''t seen last few games) has been all good....[/quote]

Deary me, has Fox really dropped that far down the list? From what i can gather he was on the bench today and Hughes wasn''t.
[/quote]

I think that I am the only one who rated Fox in the three or four games he started in at the start of the season and wouldn''t mind if he was played in Korey''s position, if needed just to see what he could do.

I would''ve thought that every City fan would''ve realised what happens to our team when he is dropped, playing the diamond system in midfield by now???

We get overun in midfield and usually end up losing.  Beyond Crofts he has to be the first midfielder down on the teamsheet for me.

[quote user="Aurelius"]Fully agree with the author of the thread. Our midfield is suffering a certain lack of creativity.[/quote]

Playing the diamond you are always going to lack a little bit of creativity, or face getting over-run.

It us up to Wes, plus the two strikers to create for themselves when playing in the diamond.  Surman coming back to full fitness and supplying from out wide could help, but I would rather have a midfiled that doesn''t get over-run playing this system, than one with a little bit of creativity that will get pulled apart by any team with something about them.

For me it is left side of midfield and upfront where we are not firing on all cylinders at the moment.  Lappin is now going to beunder serious pressure for his place from both Surman and Smith in the coming weeks and Holt is under pressure to net or be replaced by a Martin/Jackson partnership soon surely?

We have dropped Korey several times over the end of last season/beginning of this season.  How many results have gone for us with Korey out of the side?

He might not be the most creative of players, but you need a mix of players in your team.  Without his energy in the midfield we always get over-run and usually lose the game.

We need at least two ball winners in our midfield to be a successful side.  It is down to Wes and Lappin/Surman to create.

I don''t think that Fox or Hughes are ideally suited to a wide right role either.  If I was going to play them anywhere then it would be alongside Crofts in the centre of a 4-4-2 midfield, or as a replacement for Wes at the tip of the diamond in some games.

You can never question or fault what Korey puts into a match but he isn''t a great player with the ball. He''s alright, he''s decent and sometimes he can be very good but sometimes I think the game can pass him by a bit, he can be bit on the periphery of the action.

Sometimes I''ll watch his performance on the right hand side of midfield and think..."well what would some of the people on here say if Lee Croft had played like that?"

If Lee Croft did a lot of running without ever doing any damage with the ball then he was a "headless chicken" but when Korey Smith does it he''s a potential Premier League player/England international. Go figure.

I think Korey does a very good job for us though, he obviously does his job well otherwise the manager wouldn''t have him in the team. But, he wasn''t in the top 3 for POTS last season and you couldn''t honestly say he''s close to being in our top 3 best players this season. Infact, I''d say it''s pretty obvious that Wes and Crofts have been our top performers in midfield this season (by some distance) with Korey and Lappin on an equal level quite someway below the other 2.

If Edgar Davids plays at leftback for Palace on Tuesday night I hope we''ve got someone on the right wing who will run him ragged.

You guys have got it all sussed out, I mean we are only 3rd in the table.

Right so, who to critisise next; drury...ward... I can''t wait

[quote user="GJP"]

You can never question or fault what Korey puts into a match but he isn''t a great player with the ball. He''s alright, he''s decent and sometimes he can be very good but sometimes I think the game can pass him by a bit, he can be bit on the periphery of the action.

Sometimes I''ll watch his performance on the right hand side of midfield and think..."well what would some of the people on here say if Lee Croft had played like that?"

If Lee Croft did a lot of running without ever doing any damage with the ball then he was a "headless chicken" but when Korey Smith does it he''s a potential Premier League player/England international. Go figure.

I think Korey does a very good job for us though, he obviously does his job well otherwise the manager wouldn''t have him in the team. But, he wasn''t in the top 3 for POTS last season and you couldn''t honestly say he''s close to being in our top 3 best players this season. Infact, I''d say it''s pretty obvious that Wes and Crofts have been our top performers in midfield this season (by some distance) with Korey and Lappin on an equal level quite someway below the other 2.

If Edgar Davids plays at leftback for Palace on Tuesday night I hope we''ve got someone on the right wing who will run him ragged.

[/quote]

Thing is, Korey is 19 whilst Croft was 23 with Prem experience when we signed him.  You can`t expect a 19 year old to be consistantly great- which is why most of the Prem big boys young players are loaned out.

Korey Smith found it hard yesterday against a team that would possibly hold its own in the lower half of the Premiership but his water carrying duties should not be underestimated and I felt got more involved as the game wore on!

Does a lot of work but we must remember that last season in a Division lower he wasn''t a regular to start with!

We had some hard games last season so this season in a Division higher we''ll have even more particularly if we maintain the good form and become a target! 

I agree with the point Smudger made. For me Crofts and Smith must start in midfeild every week as they offer us so much energy and tenacity that quite simply no one else in our squad has. I think the reason we are maby lacking a little creativity is with Surman''s injury we are missing the quality that he has that Lappin lacks so almost all our real quality in the final third comes from Wes and its much easier for opposition to stop him without Surman to worry about aswell.

I think hes a very good player. He pressurises very well, tackles well and has more strength than you would expect. He might not have the creativity of other players but does a great deal of legwork off the ball and hes a pretty important part of the team imo. From what I have seen of Hughes he isn''t a bad player, but people seem to think he is the answer to everything. We are third in the table so I don''t see why we would start changing the team that got us there.

The games i have seen smithy in,he has been a terrier with skill!....Someone once said,a leeds fan i think, he is in the paul ince mould..i take it that is a compliment..i will be more predictable and say he is in the rusty mould..Now gonna watch highlights after crp weekend..

[quote user="Barclaybred"]

Someone once said,a leeds fan i think, he is in the paul ince mould..i take it that is a compliment..

[/quote]

Do you reckon they''d make that same comparison if Korey Smith was white?

Well I actually think Korey Smith is pretty good going forward.  Room for improvement no doubt but, he is actually pretty good IMO.  And also we shouldn''t even be thinking about dropping him for Fox.  Without Korey Smith we are not the same team at all.  I can''t wait for Surman to come back because then we have the perfect balance of creative and hard working players.  Without Surman though the diamond is still working just fine so lets put this one to bed.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Barclaybred"]

Someone once said,a leeds fan i think, he is in the paul ince mould..i take it that is a compliment..

[/quote]

[/quote]

We used to make a comparison between one of our players and a famous black player by adding ginger at the front! ;)

I like Korey as a player a lot but as with any youngster he is up and down. On Satruday he was very quiet and didn;t really do a lot. When he''s like that our midfield lacks a bit of fluency but he will be back to his best next week I''m sure.

[quote user="Boyo"]  And also we shouldn''t even be thinking about dropping him for Fox.  Without Korey Smith we are not the same team at all.  [/quote]

On the Grant Holt thread you commented that Holt isn''t that good and that he "is certainly droppable".

Although I do know that you also said you''re not trying to knock Holt, which is fair enough.

But...who do you think is more important to Norwich City - Grant Holt or Korey Smith?

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Barclaybred"]

[/quote]

[/quote]This reminds me of when commentators say Abou Diaby is "in the mold of Patrick Vieira. No he''s not, he''s a totally different style of player! He just shares some rather obvious physical similarities.