Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

Tactics on Saturday

Hi don''t start many threads so go easy on me. I think Saturday will be a very interesting test for the diamond formation. Up until now we have played against teams who have played an orthodox 4-4-2 formation and we have obviously done extremely well. Which is why I am intrigued by QPR''s formation this season which has been a 4-2-3-1 consisting of Helguson on his own up front with Mackie, Tarrabt and Ephraim behind him. Obviously that formation provides a lot of issues for defences because it is very difficult to know who needs to mark whom.

But it is actually the idea of Derry and Buzsaky sitting in front of the back four which concerns me more. Obviously in a dimaond formation our system is quite narrow and although the full backs provide some width, our main creative outlet is Wes who gets in between the lines of midfield and defence. Just wondering whether he be able to effect the game like he can with those two screening the back four? The last thing you want is for Wes to be recieving the ball in a situation where he is unable to turn because of these two giving him close attention or him being forced into his own half where he cant affect the game.

Lambert of course has got it covered and I am not saying we should change the formation because the experiment at Doncaster just simply didn''t work. But just interested to see what others people thoughts were.

[quote user="Jacko"]Up until now we have played against teams who have played an orthodox 4-4-2 formation and we have obviously done extremely well. Which is why I am intrigued by QPR''s formation this season which has been a 4-2-3-1[/quote]The flip side is, QPR will be facing the same problem. They too will be used to playing teams lining up in a 4-4-2, so they are going to be dealing with a team who are playing in a different formation than what they have done for the most part this season. Both teams will find areas to exploit, but both teams will also struggle in others. However, I agree that Hoolahan may have some problems with that system as he will not get as much freedom as he does against a flat 4-4-2, and he is our key playe,; the man that makes the diamond sparkle, so that is a concern.

QPR will have just as much to adapt to as us, and we can use that to our advantage.

Hoolahan doesn''t even need to get involved in the game to have an impact in this match. If he does enough to keep their defensive midfielders occupied, other players of ours can exploit gaps. He probably won''t be the ''star'' player Saturday, but his ability in itself could be crucial to us getting the result we need.

For the record, I predict a 2-1 win. Holt and Jackson scoring, with Crofts MOTM.

If you rearrange the word TACTICS .....it makes TICTACS.... like the sweeties.Nice that.

I love this formation, I think it is brilliant.

Inter Milan and Brazil both use it, and it has worked wonders for them both.

The two holding players are just brilliant, provides so much cover for the defence, and the 3-1 works well too linking up. That is what I love about the 5 man midfield tactic, you just run the show, and sooner or later posssesion will turn into goals. [Y]

Ruddy
Martin Ward Barnett Drury
Crofts Smith
Jackson Hoolahan Surman (when fit)
Holt

?

Or what Jackson for Martin or someone. [:)] 

I think we should park the team bus infront of the goal for the first half and then nobble a few of them for the 2nd half.

On a more serious note if Ruddy is in top form, if Wes plays his usual game and Crofts is the star he always is, then I''m sure we''ll get a point or maybe 3 points.

They have to lose sometime so Sat could just be that game, can''t wait to get there.

[quote user="Brendo "]

I love this formation, I think it is brilliant. Inter Milan and Brazil both use it, and it has worked wonders for them both.

The two holding players are just brilliant, provides so much cover for the defence, and the 3-1 works well too linking up. That is what I love about the 5 man midfield tactic, you just run the show, and sooner or later posssesion will turn into goals. [Y]

RuddyMartin Ward Barnett DruryCrofts SmithJackson Hoolahan Surman (when fit)Holt? Or what Jackson for Martin or someone. [:)] 

[/quote]On the flipside its the formation Liverpool played and was totally unsettled by the sale of Alonso. I see what you mean though it is a good formation seems to give the best of both worlds. I think we need a bit more pace before we can consider it though. I would have MacNamee down the left and maybe Chris Martin on the right for now though.

Good post by the OP and it certainly will be a tough game but having said that QPR are nothing special and there is no reason why we can''t beat them.

As others have said our formation will cause them problems aswell.  Firstly they have two holding midfielders who are likely to both pounce on Hoolahan when he gets the ball.  This will create more space for Smith and Lappin who are both good at going forward no matter what some people say.  Also no team seems to be able to deal with Taarabt (sp) but we have a player who is used to sitting in front of the back four and breaking up play.  Taarabt is going to come across a nasty player on Saturday who is probably unlike anyone he has come across so far this season due to Crofts being comfortable in the holding position.  The one part that does worry me is their natural wide play.  R.Martin and Drury will have to be quite disciplined on Saturday to make sure they don''t leave space for QPR to exploit.

Like I said, the diamond will cause them as much problems as their formation does to us.  QPR are obviously a good team but they are nothing special so I don''t see why we can''t beat them.  I''m really looking forward to this game, everyone is up for it and I just hope the team deliver.

Really good points Boyo. With regard to Tarrabt I just hope Crofty is allowed to play his natural game which is aggressive but on the whole fair and controlled. Tackling is a bit of dirty word after the Karl Henry and Nigel De Jong incidents. So I am afraid this weekend a lot of referees could blow up for anything.

Sheffield United said QPR were nothing special. Got beat 3-0 at their place.

Ipswich said QPR were nothing special. Got beat 3-0 at their place.

Leicester said QPR were nothing special. Got beat 2-0 at their place.

Palace said QPR were nothing special. Got beat 2-1 at their place.

Norwich are now saying QPR are nothing special.................

[quote user="Brendo "]

Ruddy
Crofts Smith
Holt

?

[/quote]

id play jackson who is an out and out striker behind the forward aswell...

clueless muppet

Yeah, we''re rubbish. We''ll have no way of rotating the supporting 3 behind Helguson if one is struggling with his marker. We won''t be playing Faurlin instead of Buzsacky as Derry''s partner. We definitely won''t be re-signing Kyle Walker on loan to overlap the winger and give us width. And our defence are awful...won''t keep anything out. And we couldn''t play against Sheffield United or Middlesborough''s diamond formations either...

[quote user="BushWhacker"]Sheffield United said QPR were nothing special. Got beat 3-0 at their place.

Ipswich said QPR were nothing special. Got beat 3-0 at their place.

Leicester said QPR were nothing special. Got beat 2-0 at their place.

Palace said QPR were nothing special. Got beat 2-1 at their place.

Norwich are now saying QPR are nothing special.................[/quote]Out of the four teams you mention only the scum had been in decent form until they came up against your lot, Boro,Sheff Utd and Palarse haven''t found any form to speak of so far this season. We are in pretty good shape at the moment and should at the very least give you a decent game and are more than capable of turning you over if we play as we can, of course it''s also possible that however we play you will simply be to good for us and we get beat. Should be a good game with a cracking atmosphere whatever the result.

[quote user="Brendo "]

Ruddy
Crofts Smith
Holt

?

[/quote]

We tried a 4-2-3-1 at Doncaster and I didn''t work very well. Why move away from a formation that has served City so well over the last year or so, especially when it has been more effective away from home this season?

[quote user="BushWhacker"]Sheffield United said QPR were nothing special. Got beat 3-0 at their place. Ipswich said QPR were nothing special. Got beat 3-0 at their place. Leicester said QPR were nothing special. Got beat 2-0 at their place. Palace said QPR were nothing special. Got beat 2-1 at their place. Norwich are now saying QPR are nothing special.................[/quote]

Keep it up BW and Hoopy - just hope that your players are as overconfident (cocky[:)]) as you are [:)]  

[quote user="Hoopy"]Yeah, we''re rubbish. We''ll have no way of rotating the supporting 3 behind Helguson if one is struggling with his marker. We won''t be playing Faurlin instead of Buzsacky as Derry''s partner. We definitely won''t be re-signing Kyle Walker on loan to overlap the winger and give us width. And our defence are awful...won''t keep anything out. And we couldn''t play against Sheffield United or Middlesborough''s diamond formations either...[/quote]

I dont think that anyone has said QPR are rubbish to be fair. You are 6 points clear for a reason, because you have been the outstanding side in the league so far. I also made the point earlier that the 3 players (Mackie and Tarrabt in particular) behind Helguson will be incredibly difficult to pick up hence why QPR have scored a lot of goals this season. For this reason I unfortunately expect a QPR win but don''t underestimate Lambert. He is continental in his approach so this sort of fixture with 2 unconventional systems could well suit him.

I wouldn''t underestimate Lambert; similarly I wouldn''t look at Warnock''s record as an indication of how we''re playing now.

I''ve been watching us for 34 years and the football we''ve played this season is the best I can ever remember. The movement is astonishing at times (our 3rd goal v Boro for example) and we''ve become incredibly difficult to get the ball away from. The 4231 system has been honed so well that any player coming in knows their role more than they ever have before.

More importantly, we can win through pace and passing (Ipswich), digging deep (Palace), counter attacking (Leicester and Doncaster), or sheer power and technical ability (Barnsley and Scunthorpe)

Faurlin returning could be the key. He was the outstanding player before his knock, playing off Derry and passing the ball about to the front 4 with a confidence that I''ve not seen before. Similarly, Rob Hulse may well be at least on the bench and his record speaks for itself.

It''ll be a cracking atmosphere; there''s fewer than 500 tickets left in the home stands.

[quote user="Hoopy"]I''ve been watching us for 34 years and the football we''ve played this season is the best I can ever remember. .[/quote]

1976 Hoopy! The last 15 games of that season you won 13, drew 1, and Lost 1. Liverpool pipped you to the title by just one point. The game you lost was against us. Your third last game of the season. We beat ya 3-2. We are your bogey side. You know it and I know it! Be afraid, be very afraid[;)]

Are this lot really better than Gerry Francis, Stan Bowles, Don Masson etc?

Anyway, I''ll see you here on Sunday, win lose or draw[Y]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Are this lot really better than Gerry Francis, Stan Bowles, Don Masson etc?

[/quote]

They very well could be.

This hoopy fella is doing my head in. I am not saying we should always slate our team in anyway but we do need to be able to accept our weaknesses. This guy doesn''t seem to be able to. I remember a Leeds side sitting this pretty last season and fans as cocky as them too. Lets see what happens saturday......

I know what our weaknesses are:

Taarabt wants to beat too many players and takes the ball too deep up the pitch;

Ephraim faders in and out of games;

Helguson needs a few sighters to warm up;

Mackie is a better 2nd half player when the defender tires;

Derry can be slow;

etc

etc

But why would you want to know all that? Are you going to call Lambert and let him know?