Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Is anyone expecting Jens to play tonight?

There always seems to be one reason or another why he doesn''t play or isn''t picked. A few col who fans said that Lambert sometimes froze players out. That hasn''t really happened here. With the possible exception of JBA. I don''t get his reluctance to use him. If there''s any excuse not to, he won''t.Be interesting to see tonight. If he plays, i''ll take it all back. If he doesn''t and puts Martin in there, then that''s confirmation in my book that he has been frozen out because there''s no way a RB filling in at CB is a better option.

Lambert has shown in the past he''s not the sort of manager who will chop and change and play player''s out of their position, so I fully expect to see JBA start this evening.

He hasn''t been frozen out, there are just better options ahead of him. Now''s his opportunity to come in and make the place his own ahead of Ward.

On the one hand I''d be amazed if Jens doesn''t play tonight. The shuffling of the team that would be required if Martin was switched to CB would be absurd and leave at least two, possibly three square pegs in round holes. That''s a Grantean or Roederesque team selection.

But...it looks as though we''re being softened up for it, doesn''t it? Repeated mentions of Martin switching inside: I''d be surprised if this is just idle speculation on Archant''s part. These journos always know more than they can actually write.

One thing''s for sure, if JBA can''t get in the team with Nelson and Whitbread injured and Ward suspended; if Lambert is prepared to play a loanee and a right-back instead of him - there''s not much point in him being at the club.

A shame as I don''t think he''d let us down.

[quote user="a1canary"]There always seems to be one reason or another why he doesn''t play or isn''t picked. A few col who fans said that Lambert sometimes froze players out. That hasn''t really happened here. With the possible exception of JBA. I don''t get his reluctance to use him. If there''s any excuse not to, he won''t.

Be interesting to see tonight. If he plays, i''ll take it all back. If he doesn''t and puts Martin in there, then that''s confirmation in my book that he has been frozen out because there''s no way a RB filling in at CB is a better option.
[/quote]

I think too many changes are bad, so I''d like to see Jens as a direct replacement for Ward.

On the theme of freezing out of players by Lambo, unless Hughes has been injured, I''d put him in that category, coz personally I think that he is a quality player and should at least be making the bench.

I think its the obvious thing to play JBA, too many changes to make to do anything else. Who knows he may stay in the side if he plays well, look at last year with the Doc and Nelson coming and going

PL will give people there chance and if they take it well they often stay in the team

I wouldn''t exclude anyone based on past history, I think it''s very much a case of a fresh start, clean slate and new leaf turned over. And that goes as much for Ed Balls as it does for Jens Berthel Askou.

[quote user="Flying High"][quote user="First Wazzock"]I''m certainly not expecting him to play Saturday.[/quote]Ahaha, seconded.[/quote]Thirded.In fact, I wouldn''t be surprised if we never see him play in yellow again, tonight may well could have been his last chance to convince.

Frozen out or not good enough?

I think we got our answer tonight. I have never understood how he got such a good reputation with many fans in the first place. A lone voice from somewhere on my right in the Barclay greeted his substitution with "Get off and don''t ever come back on". Couldn''t have been easy playing left back tonight and I''m surprised Smith seems to be getting more flack than Askou. I am beginning to understand why Doc was released now. With Askou and Nelson contracted to play this season Lambert didn''t really have a choice. We don''t miss him when our players are fit but we do when we need cover. Let''s hope Ward doesn''t miss anymore games until/unless Whitbread is fit.

I was one  of the fans who thought he should be given a chance [:$] but can see now why Lambert has been reluctant to play him and brought Leon in ahead of him.

He was awfull, hope he doesn''t play Sat.

To be fair, he has not played a game this season (from the start). I seem to remember Ward had a terrible game against Watford at the start of the season. but yes, he was rubbish yesterday.

I for one am glad that he had a shocker last night because it has proved what I have always thought.  I couldn''t understand why people thought he was so good last season, from all I could see he was a League One clodhopper who had the turning circle of the Titanic and had some of the worst distribution I have seen.  I think last night proved once and for all that he will never cut it in the Championship, and we should be looking to get a replacement for him, and probably for Crockbread as well.

Have to say he was badly badly at fault for their second goal. He was

right on his man Gardner and the right side of him. All it needed was a

small well timed leap and he could have cleared it. He''s obviously rusty

but you''d have to think that Nelson would never have let that happen.Barnett seemed equally at fault for the first though.