Sign in to follow this  
Gingerpele

Forum arguments....

john_starks......I don''t where have i ever put loads of....... in a line on their own, with lots of space between, NO WHERE. Its a bloody forum, not an essay, i can present my posts however i like, if you don''t like it, don''t read them!!

Some general points.1. That this board is unmoderated is mainly a red herring, for two reasons.

Firstly, it does get looked over by SDP, and probably gets more

attention from him than, for example, the official message board gets

from the media team at Carrow Road. Joe Ferrari has said on more than

one occasion that they don''t have the time to check the threads there,

and usually step in only when someone makes a complaint. Secondly,

moderation tends to censor posts that are legally dangerous or full of

foul-mouthed abuse but leaves clean-mouthed abuse alone. I very much

doubt if this thread, for example, would be affected by moderation.

There ARE posts here that should be killed at birth but by and large

they are not the posts that get people angry.

2. The "It doesn''t matter what we say because cyberspace is not part of

real life" argument is nonsense. Total nonsense. Anonymity doesn''t alter

the fact that this is real people talking to (or abusing as the case

may be) real people. It is possible to do damage in cyberspace just as

much as in "real life".

3. The related "I''m not like this in real life" argument is also

nonsense. There are posters who are obviously putting on an act. However

for the rest, over time, the personality that emerges is a reflection -

perhaps an exaggerated one but still a reflection - of the real person. I can think of The

Egotist,[*] the Smart-Arse[:P] and The Pedant[8-|] on this board, and I would be

very surprised if in "real life" they are not to a greater or lesser

extent like that. I know for a fact The Pedant is...[;)]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Some general points.1. That this board is unmoderated is mainly a red herring, for two reasons.

Firstly, it does get looked over by SDP, and probably gets more

attention from him than, for example, the official message board gets

from the media team at Carrow Road. Joe Ferrari has said on more than

one occasion that they don''t have the time to check the threads there,

and usually step in only when someone makes a complaint. Secondly,

moderation tends to censor posts that are legally dangerous or full of

foul-mouthed abuse but leaves clean-mouthed abuse alone. I very much

doubt if this thread, for example, would be affected by moderation.

There ARE posts here that should be killed at birth but by and large

they are not the posts that get people angry.

2. The "It doesn''t matter what we say because cyberspace is not part of

real life" argument is nonsense. Total nonsense. Anonymity doesn''t alter

the fact that this is real people talking to (or abusing as the case

may be) real people. It is possible to do damage in cyberspace just as

much as in "real life".

3. The related "I''m not like this in real life" argument is also

nonsense. There are posters who are obviously putting on an act. However

for the rest, over time, the personality that emerges is a reflection -

perhaps an exaggerated one but still a reflection - of the real person. I can think of The

Egotist,[*] the Smart-Arse[:P] and The Pedant[8-|] on this board, and I would be

very surprised if in "real life" they are not to a greater or lesser

extent like that. I know for a fact The Pedant is...[;)][/quote]I shall take "Smart arse"[:)]Point 2. Clearly some people treat real life and cyber life completely differently, I think that the various plebs who gob off at me would be quiet as mice if we were to meet in real life, which I would be more than happy to do. Theres plenty here that hide behind the keyboard.Point 3. I am just like this in real life, theres no act here. I put it to you, if someone, who you didn''t know came up to you in a pub, and started winding you up, what would you do? Would you stand there and ignore it, or would you remonstrate with them in some way? If they gave you abuse, without actually quite knowing why, or even knowing anything about you, would you stand and take it?Personally I wouldn''t and don''t.

[quote user="Woman in the Stands WITS"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="ThorpeCanary"]whos buying morty?[/quote]

I''ll give you 17 pence for him....

[/quote]Meh, before the economic turndown, my value actually peaked at 29 pence.[:(][/quote]That much huh? [;)][/quote]To be fair, man prices got pretty inflated, the market was clearly unsustainable.

[quote user="morty"]

I shall take "Smart arse"

[/quote]Morty, if you think you''re The Smartarse that actually makes you The Egotist!Actually, and I hope this isn''t too crushing, I hadn''t got you in mind for either...[;)]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"]

I shall take "Smart arse"

[/quote]Morty, if you think you''re The Smartarse that actually makes you The Egotist!Actually, and I hope this isn''t too crushing, I hadn''t got you in mind for either...[;)][/quote]Ooh, name names then.[;)]

I would have thought that the real people who you wouldn''t want to upset, are the ones who never shout and scream about how they''re harder than you etc etc.  You see, they don''t have to.

It would be very amusing for the whole board to meet each other one day - so much of this petty name-calling would stop.

[quote user="Muddy funster"]

I would have thought that the real people who you wouldn''t want to upset, are the ones who never shout and scream about how they''re harder than you etc etc.  You see, they don''t have to.

It would be very amusing for the whole board to meet each other one day - so much of this petty name-calling would stop.

[/quote]The trouble is that some people can''t differentiate between banter and aggression. A product of this namby pamby politically correct modern society where being heterosexual is now being called ''neutral gender''....A pansy however remains a pansy.

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="Muddy funster"]

[/quote]

The trouble is that some people can''t differentiate between banter and aggression. A product of this namby pamby politically correct modern society where being heterosexual is now being called ''neutral gender''....

A pansy however remains a pansy.

[/quote]

Even if one meets him in real life and has a beer.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="Muddy funster"]

[/quote]The trouble is that some people can''t differentiate between banter and aggression. A product of this namby pamby politically correct modern society where being heterosexual is now being called ''neutral gender''....A pansy however remains a pansy.

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]I remain neutral on that......[:)]

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="Muddy funster"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]I remain neutral on that......[:)][/quote]Not like you to sit on the fence.[:)]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="Muddy funster"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]I remain neutral on that......[:)][/quote]Not like you to sit on the fence.[:)][/quote]When it comes to gaylords it''s the safest place to sit.....

[quote user="mtv"]99% of the people who throw abuse on here would not dare to say those sorts of things face to face. It just would''nt happen. but the anonimty of the web just bloats the ego of the keyboard warriors. if they had to put a photo and their real names on posts, it would stop overnight.[/quote]

Sorry, but am I right in recalling you were up in arms that your son, who dressed in a green gimp suit at Nottm Forest, after making w.nker and other hand gestures at Forest fans got a slap?

And are you also the same person who managed to get a thread on Paddy Kenny deleted due to making threats and bad language?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="The Arthur Whittle Show Starring Jedward"]Awwww, bless. God some people really need to grow some balls.[/quote]

Indeed.

And I am quite happy to discuss anything over a pint with anyone here in the real world.

[:)]
[/quote]

As am I young morty my lad, spot on my friend.

Many a time when things have got heated with posters, yourself included, I have said pop in the coachmakers on sunday for a pint and we will discuss it reasonabley. Not as if a man in his mid 70s is intimidating is it........

The offer is alwys there, you know my name, my address is always in the papers and you even know the pub i frequent lol.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I''m as guilty as any when it comes to arguments on here, but it really is getting out of hand.....

When talking online, its easy to go over the top on what you are trying to say (again i do this...) but if you look at the Paddy Kenny and Crystal palace on tuesday evening thread, they are full of arguments (well the Paddy kenny just on the last page)..

We are all Norwich fans, so we should all be able to get along well, and agree to disagree. If someone thinks Grant Holt is off form, but someone else thinks he is doing great, fine, put your points across, but it just seems to be getting far to hostile....

Shall we all try and be a bit more friendly :P :D[/quote]STFU, knobcheese.

I like a lively discussion.

I get involved in tit for tat arguments as much as the next person, just find it funny that most moaning about it have been very personal with me in the past yet when its them its boo hoo hoo.

Let the games begin.........