Sign in to follow this  
Felixfan

Keane turns on fans

Is this the beginning of the end for Roy Keane, slagging off fans in todays East Anglian. Usually when managers turn on fans it is a sign of desperation. He may of course be right that Ipswich fans are set in their ways,living in the past and obsessed with tactics. One has to laugh - it has made my day.

See article below from the back page of the East Anglian.

ROY Keane has launched an astonishing attack on Ipswich Town’s “moaning and groaning” supporters, ahead of this evening’s trip to Watford.

Outspoken Keane did not hold back, during yesterday’s Portman Road press conference, claiming that some Town fans were “stuck in their ways,” and that many did “not know too much about the game.”

The Irishman was referring to the lack of support that he felt his team, and the younger players in particular, received from the home crowd during Saturday’s 2-1 defeat to Coventry.

It was not quite the equivalent of Sir Bobby Robson, who once famously called Ipswich fans “a bunch of Zombies” when his team were chasing the Treble in 1980-81, but Keane was pulling no punches in his criticism of some of the Portman Road faithful.

“A lot of supporters out there, not just in this club, don’t know too much about the game,” blasted Keane.

“And I think a lot of people, particularly around this area, are probably set in their ways.

“Instead of worrying about tactics and systems, and moaning and groaning, I would say get behind your players, particularly the younger boys.

“A lot of people, particularly after the weekend, seem to have an issue with systems, tactics and what-have-you, but that had nothing to do with the goals we conceded.

“I have no problems with people’s opinions, but a lot of people do not have a clue what they are talking about in terms of football.

“Get behind the players and don’t get bogged down by tactics and systems. That’s for me to sort out,” added Keane.

The Irishman has no problem with fans getting on his back, but he was clearly upset by some of the criticism aimed at his players, not least because Town remain in the top six!

He insisted: “It’s not about me, it’s about getting behind the team. I don’t mind them having a go at me. Forget me.

“I didn’t think they (the fans) supported the young players this weekend. We all know supporters can be fairly fickle, but these young boys need the benefit of the doubt.

“The moaning and groaning upset me. They should get behind the bloody team! Get behind these players!

“If I don’t get it right, I’ve got six months left on my contract, so if I don’t get it right, I’ll be gone anyway,” concluded Keane.

I think you''re right, as soon as a manager starts having a pop at the fans, then its not long before he''s getting his p45.Its sounding like Roy is running out of ideas and his days are numbered, though I hope Marcus sticks by him for as long as possible, purely for my own amusement.

....I read that this morning in the EADT and laughed a lot.The other thing of interest is that there was another article where Keane was giving advice to Wayne Rooney and the situation at Utd. Keane basically said Rooney should look after No 1 and that essentially players were treated like pieces of meat by Clubs. Now that may be fair enough but I wonder if that is what the Club want him to say to Connor ''no goals'' Wickham.....................................................Doh!!!!! don''t think Keano will be to popular with the board this morning and when we are 5 points clear of them tonight it''ll be all the sweeter.

"so if I don’t get it right, I’ll be gone anyway"

Which pretty much suggests he had, still has, defined targets. Though what getting it right might mean is a fair debate. A clue might be the ''if'', suggesting that despite getting the wage bill down towards a managable level it alone is not enough.

I do wonder if the ever exited Mr Roy will be able to stick to the condidentiality clause that most contracts have. Would make for amusing reading were Mr Roy to tell it like it is - the real reasons for the wholesale sell off this summer, the real budget and the true figures spent.

A couple of defeats and the next game at poorman road might see the docile rustics stirred up into a murmur of dissent - even to the point where there could be another bed sheet display.

I would venture then that the things may well look quite a bit different by the time the ragbag of donkey carts and farmyard trailers head up the A140 next month.

To be honest I''ve been saying much worse things about them for many years and no one has ever threatened to sack me!

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]So did anyone hear Roy Keane call Wayne Rooney ''a peice of meat yesterday''[/quote]Yeah, look two posts above your question, my opinion is also included there too.

This reminds me of the infamous Roeder AGM when he missed the fans tenure as England Manager. Roeder didn''t last too much longer and didn''t Munby make some comment about "taking notice of what the fans want"? I doubt Evans gives a monkeys what the fans want. Unless they stay away and attendances are part of the Mad Dogwalker''s targets. I think it will all be down to League position. Performances won''t matter to the invisible man!

Agreed; did''nt Peter Grant hit out at the city fans in a similar vein 2 or 3 games after he joined? He blamed us for the defeat, for not "carrying the team over the line", I think it was against Hull. I thought his days were numbered then - shame it happened to be 365+ days later....!

Aparently Roy Keane reads the Glen Roeder guide to football management quite a lot!

Hes right about S cummers living in the past but they are right to complain about his tactics. One up front against English football giants Coventry at home in the 2nd tier is not right. I''d certainly be spitting if we done the same thing!

Our away game at Doncaster was the only time I''ve seen us sit back too much from the first whistle. That is the reason we lost that game!

Let hope we can knock the final nail in Keanes management coffin in the Derby game next month!

"I think it will all be down to League position"

Most likely not, Mr Nutty

When murky Marcus finally moves on I think you''ll find that all the debts have been dumped into Ipswich Town Football Club Company Limited and the assets transfered into Marcus Evans Investments.

poor old binners

I agree City 1st. I just think Keanes targets are just down to league position. The invisible man probably assumed that the poor binner fans would be happy with that whatever the performances were like. I''m surprised they aren''t to be fair. Those two Rrrrrrr''s boys Whacky Whacker and Loopy Hoopy reckon Warnocks hoofers are better than Dave Sexton''s greats from 1976.

Actually Mr Nutty I said that evans most likely doesn''t give a flying fig about the binners league position other than it generates enough farmhandscoming through the turnstiles to keep the club afloat.

You only have to look at his instructions this summer, his previous appointment of the clueless Clegg, his lumbering the paupers with interest on a £25m debt that he supposedly only paid £8m or £6m for.

Racking up interest at an alarming rate allows him to transfer assets over to MEI in lieu of payment whilst ensuring that any liabilities stay with ITFCC Ltd.

As well as Keane there are about 20 players who are out of contract next summer - maybe Evans is going sooner than later.

Through the clever way the loans to ITFCC Ltd.were structured it would be possible for Evans to retain the lease on the ground whilst still pulling the plug.

An hilarious aside to this is the terminally dim binners still squeaking about Evans not being able to sell the club for 5 years and ''hinvesting'' £20m or £30m more in the club. Club accounts and the shareholders letter of 2007 easily disprove those absurd thoughts.

poor old binners, it''s hard not to laugh

You shouldn''t even try not to laugh. They still think they are better off than us!! The sadder thing is some Norwich fans think that too. Much rather the invisible man than the cook and her cohorts[:S]

but they are better

Be honest Nutty how many of us are cockneys like most of them are ?

How many of us can behave respectably like they do and sit and watch the game quietly ?

Was the Queen Mum a season ticket holder at Carrow Road, did Winston Churchill ever disrupt cabinet meetings to catch our result like he did with the binners ?

I think you''ll find the answer is no.

[quote user="Felixfan"]

It was not quite the equivalent of Sir Bobby Robson, who once famously called Ipswich fans “a bunch of Zombies” when his team were chasing the Treble in 1980-81, but Keane was pulling no punches in his criticism of some of the Portman Road faithful.

[/quote]I remember that with great affection, Zombies being chanted in the Binners direction for a few seasons after.

One of the binners I work with today said that:"If we (Binners) had your manager, and you had ours, we''d be top of the league and you''d be bottom three."

Keane is begining to sound like a manager under pressure and no points tomorrow at Forest will put him even more in the spot light.

I personally think he''s doing a great job there and hope he stays there for ever [:)][:D]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]One of the binners I work with today said that:"If we (Binners) had your manager, and you had ours, we''d be top of the league and you''d be bottom three."

[/quote]Is that a veiled attempt to say they consider that their team is better than ours?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Mister Chops"]One of the binners I work with today said that:"If we (Binners) had your manager, and you had ours, we''d be top of the league and you''d be bottom three."

[/quote]Is that a veiled attempt to say they consider that their team is better than ours?[/quote]Or that Roy Keane is an Irish yokel cuntfaced twat.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

This reminds me of the infamous Roeder AGM when he missed the fans tenure as England Manager. Roeder didn''t last too much longer and didn''t Munby make some comment about "taking notice of what the fans want"? I doubt Evans gives a monkeys what the fans want. Unless they stay away and attendances are part of the Mad Dogwalker''s targets. I think it will all be down to League position. Performances won''t matter to the invisible man!

[/quote]agreed! Marcus evans couldn''t give 2 hoots about the binner fans as long as the club is in a position to pay him his sizeable interest rate he has on their debt.as soon as the club starts dropping royston will get the boot and some other gullible sad sack will take the job on the promise of "money" that doesn''t exist... Still, Sunderland Reserves will lose at Forest today and it will all be the fans fault.Sadly the binner biys are too stupid to realise that Evans doesn''t own the club, just the debt, and no doubt expect billions to be spent brining Mourinho to Poortaloo road.

Another part of the Mucus plan is of course his PR , and his delight at Mad Dog Roy getting the chance to be interviewed on any possible subject ("look after yourself, Wayne") on Sky TV. However, Mr Roy is starting to slip in the mental stakes and the press are starting to gather more as they would for a travelling freak show than looking for any kind of wisdom. Personally I think we should all chip in and get Chris Goreham to use his press badge and ask Roy if he thinks he still be at ITFC at Christmas. I think his genial "Oi refuse to ansa that question" might be livened up a tad.

Mucus might get some publicity he doesn''t really want if Mr Roy loses it completely with his logo in the background.

I do hope so.