Sign in to follow this  
Smudger

Grrr Smudger running to the East Anglian Derby

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="Smudger"]I wasn''t planning to.  I was planning to run in a vest supplied to me by Diabetes UK.  But if you, or somebody else wants to provide the yellow morph suit then maybe I will consider wearing it underneath the vest.

[/quote]Smudge if you wear the Morph suit underneath I''ll do you a tenner on each of the two charities.[/quote]I wil speak to morph suits ''R'' us and see if they will donate one to a good cause for us!Thanks to Paul Lambert, David McNally, Michael Wynn Jones and Richard Gough for their kind donations tonight.Good luck in Bolton Richard [:)]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Smudge,Come along to Parkrun on Saturday morning, 9am, Eaton Park.http://www.parkrun.org.uk/norwich/Course.aspxRun there - about a mile and a half, I reckon.  Run the 5k race to hone your competitive streak (and to practice good race discipline, like not going off like a mad thing as per my email). Run home again.   That should be 6 miles and something different for your training plan.

[/quote]My Dad pointed out this to me. Sadly it clashes with my saturday morning football. [:(]I have started running though, and it is good, really good. A brilliant activity to do. Good on you Smudge for this, best of luck. [Y] [:)]

smudger.. i have a sunday league game at Colney lane the same day.... if you can run there we can drop you off back in the city!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]smudger.. i have a sunday league game at Colney lane the same day.... if you can run there we can drop you off back in the city![/quote]Thanks for the offer Jas, but I am pretty sure that I will be dead on my feet by the time the race finishes at the Showground.I am hoping that everybody I know is not planning on being at Carrow Road that day and that I will get a little support plus a lift to the game afterwards.  I asked my brothers girlfriend if she would do this for me the other day - so fingers crossed.  Otherwise it will be dialling a taxi as soon as I cross the finish line to whisk me away to Carrow Road.I am starting to think that if I have a really good run, that it might just be possible for me to make kick off.  Fingers crossed I won''t miss too much of the footy!

[quote user="Brendo "][quote user="Mister Chops"]Smudge,Come along to Parkrun on Saturday morning, 9am, Eaton Park.http://www.parkrun.org.uk/norwich/Course.aspxRun there - about a mile and a half, I reckon.  Run the 5k race to hone your competitive streak (and to practice good race discipline, like not going off like a mad thing as per my email). Run home again.   That should be 6 miles and something different for your training plan.

[/quote]My Dad pointed out this to me. Sadly it clashes with my saturday morning football. [:(]I have started running though, and it is good, really good. A brilliant activity to do. Good on you Smudge for this, best of luck. [Y] [:)][/quote]Come and join in out of season.  5k is nothing for a fit young lad like yourself.  Oh, this sounds like grooming.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Brendo "][quote user="Mister Chops"]Smudge,Come along to Parkrun on Saturday morning, 9am, Eaton Park.http://www.parkrun.org.uk/norwich/Course.aspxRun there - about a mile and a half, I reckon.  Run the 5k race to hone your competitive streak (and to practice good race discipline, like not going off like a mad thing as per my email). Run home again.   That should be 6 miles and something different for your training plan.

[/quote]My Dad pointed out this to me. Sadly it clashes with my saturday morning football. [:(]I have started running though, and it is good, really good. A brilliant activity to do. Good on you Smudge for this, best of luck. [Y] [:)][/quote]Come and join in out of season.  5k is nothing for a fit young lad like yourself.  Oh, this sounds like grooming.[/quote]I shall do! [:)] Well whenever I do not have a game I shall come. Is it like all year round then? Sounds lush!

Latest update is that I completed 12.55 miles this evening in a time of 01:45:23This followed a run 4.3 miles in 33 mins on Thursday evening.Hopefully on schedule for a sub two hour time then so it seems - fingers crossed.Thanks to Nutty for his support yesterday evening and thanks to Marta for the £45 I believe that she has raised so far @ Boots in Stalham.I could do with a certain sexy individual here now to serve me a nice plate of chinese and a light beer before MOTD and the Football League Show (if I can manage to keep my eyes open that long).

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Brendo "][quote user="Mister Chops"]Smudge,Come along to Parkrun on Saturday morning, 9am, Eaton Park.http://www.parkrun.org.uk/norwich/Course.aspxRun there - about a mile and a half, I reckon.  Run the 5k race to hone your competitive streak (and to practice good race discipline, like not going off like a mad thing as per my email). Run home again.   That should be 6 miles and something different for your training plan.

[/quote]My Dad pointed out this to me. Sadly it clashes with my saturday morning football. [:(]I have started running though, and it is good, really good. A brilliant activity to do. Good on you Smudge for this, best of luck. [Y] [:)][/quote]Come and join in out of season.  5k is nothing for a fit young lad like yourself.  Oh, this sounds like grooming.[/quote]Mmmmmm..... and he could sit on my lap.....  [{]

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Brendo "][quote user="Mister Chops"]Smudge,Come along to Parkrun on Saturday morning, 9am, Eaton Park.http://www.parkrun.org.uk/norwich/Course.aspxRun there - about a mile and a half, I reckon.  Run the 5k race to hone your competitive streak (and to practice good race discipline, like not going off like a mad thing as per my email). Run home again.   That should be 6 miles and something different for your training plan.

[/quote]My Dad pointed out this to me. Sadly it clashes with my saturday morning football. [:(]I have started running though, and it is good, really good. A brilliant activity to do. Good on you Smudge for this, best of luck. [Y] [:)][/quote]Come and join in out of season.  5k is nothing for a fit young lad like yourself.  Oh, this sounds like grooming.[/quote]Mmmmmm..... and he could sit on my lap.....  [{][/quote]Santa?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Brendo "][quote user="Mister Chops"]Smudge,Come along to Parkrun on Saturday morning, 9am, Eaton Park.http://www.parkrun.org.uk/norwich/Course.aspxRun there - about a mile and a half, I reckon.  Run the 5k race to hone your competitive streak (and to practice good race discipline, like not going off like a mad thing as per my email). Run home again.   That should be 6 miles and something different for your training plan.

[/quote]My Dad pointed out this to me. Sadly it clashes with my saturday morning football. [:(]I have started running though, and it is good, really good. A brilliant activity to do. Good on you Smudge for this, best of luck. [Y] [:)][/quote]Come and join in out of season.  5k is nothing for a fit young lad like yourself.  Oh, this sounds like grooming.[/quote]Mmmmmm..... and he could sit on my lap.....  [{][/quote]Santa?[/quote]No ssssssssonny, not Sssssssssssssanta..... ma names Herbert   (If you don''t watch Family Guy you won''t get it)  [:)]

[quote user="Smudger"]Dirty Herbert Cluck???[/quote]

Mmmmmm...... Ssssssssuch a sssssssweet boy.....  Just a tad too creepy perhaps?  [;)]

Latest update...An embarassingly slow run (on my shaky legs) of 4.2 miles on Monday evening followed the 12.55 mile epic on Saturday evening.This was followed this evening by 5.1 miles in 30 mins 52 secs (so close on 6 minute miles).I think I am going to rest my legs for a couple of days now, before taking place in the Norwich Park Run as suggested by Chopsy last week for the first time.  Are you going to be doing it this week Chopsy??? My thanks also need to go out to Darren Huckerby for his kind donation to the CF Trust earlier this evening, along with W-H, Swindon Canary, The Stump and Snakepit Lassy for their very welcome donations also.

[quote user="Smudger"]Latest update...An embarassingly slow run (on my shaky legs) of 4.2 miles on Monday evening followed the 12.55 mile epic on Saturday evening.This was followed this evening by 5.1 miles in 30 mins 52 secs (so close on 6 minute miles).I think I am going to rest my legs for a couple of days now, before taking place in the Norwich Park Run as suggested by Chopsy last week for the first time.  Are you going to be doing it this week Chopsy??? My thanks also need to go out to Darren Huckerby for his kind donation to the CF Trust earlier this evening, along with W-H, Swindon Canary, The Stump and Snakepit Lassy for their very welcome donations also.[/quote]I''m volunteering this week... I''ll look out for you, will probably be doing the timer on the finish line.Good running, now don''t go longer than 12 miles until the race as you need to recover.  The race tomorrow will give you a sense of what race day will be like - three laps, don''t go all-out on the first one.Mind you, if you''re doing 5 miles in 30 minutes, you might be in with a shout of the top 10 tomorrow.Have you registered?  Get your barcode or you won''t get a finish time.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Smudger"]Latest update...An embarassingly slow run (on my shaky legs) of 4.2 miles on Monday evening followed the 12.55 mile epic on Saturday evening.This was followed this evening by 5.1 miles in 30 mins 52 secs (so close on 6 minute miles).I think I am going to rest my legs for a couple of days now, before taking place in the Norwich Park Run as suggested by Chopsy last week for the first time.  Are you going to be doing it this week Chopsy??? My thanks also need to go out to Darren Huckerby for his kind donation to the CF Trust earlier this evening, along with W-H, Swindon Canary, The Stump and Snakepit Lassy for their very welcome donations also.[/quote]I''m volunteering this week... I''ll look out for you, will probably be doing the timer on the finish line.Good running, now don''t go longer than 12 miles until the race as you need to recover.  The race tomorrow will give you a sense of what race day will be like - three laps, don''t go all-out on the first one.Mind you, if you''re doing 5 miles in 30 minutes, you might be in with a shout of the top 10 tomorrow.Have you registered?  Get your barcode or you won''t get a finish time.

[/quote]Hi Chopsy,I have my barcode, but no print out of it, so I am hoping they can either scan it or take down the details of it from my mobile phone.I seem to be running quick one day and slow another at the moment, so who knows how it will go tomorrow.  5k or 3 miles + is a real short distance for me now, but not sure if I have the pace or the stamina over that distance to compete with the better runners.  I would be happy with a time anywhere near 20 mins (anything under 22 mins is a reasonable effort I would guess).I will probably wear my Cystic Fibrosis vest - so you will not be able to miss me as it is a bright luminous yellow number.I will look out for you on the finish line.Thanks to Hissing Sid and :o) for their kind donations.  I loved your comment you left on the CF Justgiving page Sid "Good luck Smudger...make sure you get to the ground before the King of Spain scores the winner!!" pure class!

[quote user="Brendo "][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Brendo "][quote user="Mister Chops"]Smudge,

Come along to Parkrun on Saturday morning, 9am, Eaton Park.

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/norwich/Course.aspx

Run there - about a mile and a half, I reckon.  Run the 5k race to hone your competitive streak (and to practice good race discipline, like not going off like a mad thing as per my email). Run home again.   That should be 6 miles and something different for your training plan.

[/quote]My Dad pointed out this to me. Sadly it clashes with my saturday morning football. [:(]

I have started running though, and it is good, really good. A brilliant activity to do. Good on you Smudge for this, best of luck. [Y] [:)]
[/quote]

Come and join in out of season.  5k is nothing for a fit young lad like yourself.  Oh, this sounds like grooming.

[/quote]I shall do! [:)] Well whenever I do not have a game I shall come. Is it like all year round then? Sounds lush!
[/quote]I have no game next week, so I will probably do this 5k. The annoying thing is, I''d like to increase it to like 7or 8k maybe, but it is too far for me to run there aand back. Hmm will see. I have my second race sorted out. Nothing big, but me and papa are doing a 10k in Southwold in 3 weeks (i think), the day after the Leeds game. [Y]

Well, I would just like to congratulate Smudger on a very credible debut performance yesterday, clocking in at around 22:30 which is a very good time for someone who''s been focusing on distance running, and would equate to a credible 45 minute 10k, and/or a 1hour 45 half marathon.Brendo - I''ll look out for you on Saturday, though I have no idea what you look like (!) but it''s likely I''ll be running in a Virgin Money Giving t-shirt.

I also would like to congratulate Smudge, you''re doing really well! [:)]

What time is it Chopsy? I think I will cycle there, where can I lock my bike? Argh, I guess I can''t bring anything because I would have to run with it? [:(] I ran my first race which was 10k in a very slow 1hr06, so I guess I can aim for 35 mins on saturday.

[quote user="Brendo "]

What time is it Chopsy? I think I will cycle there, where can I lock my bike? Argh, I guess I can''t bring anything because I would have to run with it? [:(] I ran my first race which was 10k in a very slow 1hr06, so I guess I can aim for 35 mins on saturday.

[/quote]9am start, get there for 8:45-8:50am.  Lock your bike in the pavilion in the centre of the park where everyone meets, your stuff will be safe.Don''t forget to register online and print off your barcode, you need this when you run.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Brendo "]

[/quote]9am start, get there for 8:45-8:50am.  Lock your bike in the pavilion in the centre of the park where everyone meets, your stuff will be safe.Don''t forget to register online and print off your barcode, you need this when you run.

[/quote]K cheers mate. 9am. [:|] I thought my football was early at 9.30, ah but it will be worth it. [:)]Any idea how many people do it? Cheers.

[quote user="Brendo "][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Brendo "]

[/quote]K cheers mate. 9am. [:|] I thought my football was early at 9.30, ah but it will be worth it. [:)]Any idea how many people do it? Cheers. [/quote]Yeah - first week we had about 80-90 people, but it''s grown and grown.  Last week we had 220, this week 214.  I reckon if you''re doing 10k in 1h 6, you could do a competitive 5k at 30 minutes, but set your own target and see how you go.

Thanks Chopsy and Brendo.I may consider doing it again this coming Saturday before getting back to my usual training pattern.For those of you who want a chuckle, here''s a photo of me trying to keep up with some 13 year old who had too much pace for me http://www.parkrun.org.uk/norwich/Photos.aspx I think that it is picture 24 (of run number 14).

Good luck with the run, I might try and donate a few quid in the next day or so, but I kind of feel I''ve done my bit for Diabetes UK after running this years London marathon for them. I do prefer a half marathon, a slightly more sensible distance! but it''s still a tough challenge, sounds like you are making decent progress mind.

Really?  I was hoping to do the London Marathon for one of the two charities I am running this for next year.  But I think that I have left it too late and am probably going to be sitting on the reserve list and possibly looking at the Edinburgh Marathon in May as an alternative.I know what you mean - at least you can race against the clock and others a little bit on a half marathon, I think a full marathon would just be a case of being over the moon with getting around for me and many others?I understand your reasoning behind the Diabetes UK - "done your bit" comment Marty, but please consider donating to The Cystic Fibrosis Trust who also are a very worthwhile cause, where hopefully any money raised can go towards improving the quality of life of those who have it, increasing life expectancy, or hopefully finding a cure one day soon.I know that you and I have had our differences on here in the past and probably will do so again in the future, but your comments and support are really appreciated! [:)]PS - I got my race number in the post today - 1982 - I like it 1982 was a good year!

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Brendo "]

[/quote]

9am start, get there for 8:45-8:50am.  Lock your bike in the pavilion in the centre of the park where everyone meets, your stuff will be safe.

Don''t forget to register online and print off your barcode, you need this when you run.

[/quote]Registered mate, but I don''t get what happens. I run with the piece of paper right? Hmm, I should probably laminate it? I dunno where to do that though? Guess I could just put it in my pocket.

[quote user="Brendo "][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Brendo "]

[/quote]Registered mate, but I don''t get what happens. I run with the piece of paper right? Hmm, I should probably laminate it? I dunno where to do that though? Guess I could just put it in my pocket.[/quote]Nice.  Well, if you get there early, ask one of the volunteers for a laminated pouch and they''ll give you a plastic wallet for your barcode.  Yeah, you have to run with it, or stash it in your jacket but you need it once you''ve crossed the finish line.

[quote user="Smudger"]Thanks Chopsy and Brendo.I may consider doing it again this coming Saturday before getting back to my usual training pattern.For those of you who want a chuckle, here''s a photo of me trying to keep up with some 13 year old who had too much pace for me http://www.parkrun.org.uk/norwich/Photos.aspx I think that it is picture 24 (of run number 14).[/quote]Youth tells Smudger [;)]What park is that you''re running around? Looks like a great place for a walk - much more my style of exercise.

OK, done a little donation for the cystic fibrosis trust. The London marathon is a great event, but it is very difficult to get a place, I got lucky (or unlucky depending on how you view it!) with my first application last year. I decided to do the charity bit after gaining my ballot place, it was due to the death of a friend, caused by diabetes. I have heard that Edinburgh marathon is pretty good too, easier to get a place and less crowded. Yes a half marathon is easier to train for, you will have a better idea of a target time, a full marathon is a little more difficult to judge, the last few miles are unknown territory and certainly the toughest physical thing I have ever done. It is important not to worry about times too much, not for your first few races, but it''s easier said than done. Good luck and remember to enjoy it, running is meant to be fun too!

I was wondering how it went for Brendo too Chopsy.  I decided to give it a miss, as I was feeling a bit tired today, although I may give it another go next Saturday.  Top 30 sounds really good going, what was your time?

Thanks to Marty and Nutty for their kind donations over the lasr week... [:)]  If anybody else wishes to donate then plenty of time still to do so (links in my sig below).

Also an article about my running in todays Evening News http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/norwich_man_s_13_mile_dash_to_see_canaries_play_1_726007 how embarassing (at least they saved the worst picture for print)