Sign in to follow this  
Smudger

Grrr Smudger running to the East Anglian Derby

I''m really frustrated with the clash of the Derby game and the Half Norwich Marathon, but I have finally decided to see if I can attempt to do both.I bet I will be sitting in traffic waiting to get away from the Showground, as our first of many hits the back of the net on the 28th November?I just decided that this was something I had to do at the moment.  Hopefully I can make it in time for most of the game and I will get to see the full game at Portman Road too fingers crossed.  Anybody who feels kind enough to help out with sponsoring me then please see the links below.Thanks very much to the kind Beau who has got us started on each of them!Diabetes UKCystic Fibrosis TrustI was torn between the two charities, so hoping that a similar amount can be raised for both, although obviously if you wish to sponsor one and not the other then that is great too.Let it never be said again that Smudge has no heart.Any help at all on either a personal or financial level will be greatly appreciated.

Well done Smudger in running the half-marathon for such good causes.The people who take part in these runs seem to have a good time but sadly two runners collapsed and died in the Peterborough Half-Marathon last weekend. Strangely both men belonged to running clubs and one was only 35 years old.So, whilst we''re bound to be finding the net on a regular basis that day and you won''t want to miss the goals, best go easy on that world record attempt, eh ?We''d all really miss your voice of reason on here and the '' King of Spain '' would be hopelessly pining for his No.1 fan........

i have a sunday league match the same day that will finish about half an hour before kick off!!! if i get a ticket i will drive to park at work, run to the ground in my mud stained kit and hopefully be in my seat in time.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]Well done Smudger in running the half-marathon for such good causes.The people who take part in these runs seem to have a good time but sadly two runners collapsed and died in the Peterborough Half-Marathon last weekend. Strangely both men belonged to running clubs and one was only 35 years old.So, whilst we''re bound to be finding the net on a regular basis that day and you won''t want to miss the goals, best go easy on that world record attempt, eh ?We''d all really miss your voice of reason on here and the '' King of Spain '' would be hopelessly pining for his No.1 fan........[/quote]Shocking news that Smithy. My sympathies go out to all of their friends and families, plus the organisers of the Peterborough event.

"Tributes have begun pouring in for Rob Davys (53), who collapsed

during the race, and Matt Ward (40), who died later after competing in

the 13.1 mile race.

Both men were experienced club runners."

I am pretty confident of my ability to do it, just not of my ability to do it in time to make kick off.  I guess that dependant on traffic up by the Showground afterwards, I could expect to miss anything from the first few minutes of the match up to the whole of the first half?  Anybody on here know what it is like getting away from the event immediately after you finish?

A sub two hour time is only likely to give you 15 to 20 mins tops to get from the Showground to the match I guess?  Realistically, I am thinking that I could miss the first 20 minutes plus of the game?  I wonder if I am allowed to carry my phone so that I can call for my taxi to Carrow Road during the last mile or two?

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="......and Smith must score."]
Well done Smudger in running the half-marathon for such good causes.

The people who take part in these runs seem to have a good time but sadly two runners collapsed and died in the Peterborough Half-Marathon last weekend. Strangely both men belonged to running clubs and one was only 35 years old.

So, whilst we''re bound to be finding the net on a regular basis that day and you won''t want to miss the goals, best go easy on that world record attempt, eh ?

We''d all really miss your voice of reason on here and the '' King of Spain '' would be hopelessly pining for his No.1 fan........
[/quote]

Shocking news that Smithy.

My sympathies go out to all of their friends and families, plus the organisers of the Peterborough event.

"Tributes have begun pouring in for Rob Davys (53), who collapsed during the race, and Matt Ward (40), who died later after competing in the 13.1 mile race.

Both men were experienced club runners."

I am pretty confident of my ability to do it, just not of my ability to do it in time to make kick off.  I guess that dependant on traffic up by the Showground afterwards, I could expect to miss anything from the first few minutes of the match up to the whole of the first half?  Anybody on here know what it is like getting away from the event immediately after you finish?

A sub two hour time is only likely to give you 15 to 20 mins tops to get from the Showground to the match I guess?  Realistically, I am thinking that I could miss the first 20 minutes plus of the game?  I wonder if I am allowed to carry my phone so that I can call for my taxi to Carrow Road during the last mile or two?

[/quote]

Do you know anyone who has a motorcycle?......Pillion from the Showground to Carra after finishing the race.....Shouldn''t take long.

All you need is a chopper and a helmet.....

[quote user="I am a Banana"]maybe run from the show ground to carrow road!? instead of the marathon same distance? [/quote]Not quite, it would be about 7 to 8 miles from the Showground to Carrow Road (quickest route anyway).I posted a joke to some binner on the Larking and Gowen - Norwich Half Marathon facebook wall.  He claimed that there was plenty of time to do both the run and the match if you put in a good time and that he may consider doing the run in his dirty blue shirt.  I replied "haha I heard you blues fans run quick!" [:D]

[quote user="djc"]Donation just made - Good luck![/quote]Thanks very much mate.Tonights run was hard work!

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]Good luck Smudger.

Will you be running in a yellow morphsuit?  Maybe Archant will take up you story.......

Will you be sitting in the Snakepit for the Ipswich game?[/quote]I think that''s why he''s taken up running Tangy. So he can make a quick escape the next time he gets in trouble! [;)] 

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]Good luck Smudger.

Will you be running in a yellow morphsuit?  Maybe Archant will take up you story.......

Will you be sitting in the Snakepit for the Ipswich game?[/quote]I think that''s why he''s taken up running Tangy. So he can make a quick escape the next time he gets in trouble! [;)] 

[/quote]

But what if those Leeds "fans" have taken up running too.......

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

Good luck Smudger.

Will you be sitting in the Snakepit for the Ipswich game?

[/quote]I wasn''t planning to.  I was planning to run in a vest supplied to me by Diabetes UK.  But if you, or somebody else wants to provide the yellow morph suit then maybe I will consider wearing it underneath the vest.Yeah I will be in The Snakepit if I manage to get around ok mate.

[quote user="Smudger"]I''m really frustrated with the clash of the Derby game and the Half Norwich Marathon, but I have finally decided to see if I can attempt to do both.

I bet I will be sitting in traffic waiting to get away from the Showground, as our first of many hits the back of the net on the 28th November?

I just decided that this was something I had to do at the moment.  Hopefully I can make it in time for most of the game and I will get to see the full game at Portman Road too fingers crossed. 

Anybody who feels kind enough to help out with sponsoring me then please see the links below.

Thanks very much to the kind Beau who has got us started on each of them!

Diabetes UK

Cystic Fibrosis Trust

I was torn between the two charities, so hoping that a similar amount can be raised for both, although obviously if you wish to sponsor one and not the other then that is great too.

Let it never be said again that Smudge has no heart.

Any help at all on either a personal or financial level will be greatly appreciated.

[/quote]

Great work Smudger! Hope you make the game. Ive been a diabetic for over 14 years now, so appreciate the trouble youre going through to raise money for the diabetes charity! Good luck!

[quote user="ryan1992"]

[quote user="Smudger"]I''m really frustrated with the clash of the Derby game and the Half Norwich Marathon, but I have finally decided to see if I can attempt to do both.I bet I will be sitting in traffic waiting to get away from the Showground, as our first of many hits the back of the net on the 28th November?I just decided that this was something I had to do at the moment.  Hopefully I can make it in time for most of the game and I will get to see the full game at Portman Road too fingers crossed.  Anybody who feels kind enough to help out with sponsoring me then please see the links below.Thanks very much to the kind Beau who has got us started on each of them!Diabetes UKCystic Fibrosis TrustI was torn between the two charities, so hoping that a similar amount can be raised for both, although obviously if you wish to sponsor one and not the other then that is great too.Let it never be said again that Smudge has no heart.Any help at all on either a personal or financial level will be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

Great work Smudger! Hope you make the game. Ive been a diabetic for over 14 years now, so appreciate the trouble youre going through to raise money for the diabetes charity! Good luck!

[/quote]I have also been a type 1 diabetic for 21 years now Ryan.I think it is still quite a misunderstood condition by many people and felt that I owed that particular charity something personally.  As for the Cystic Fibrosis Trust - the little brother of a special friend of mine made a comment that really struck a nerve with me over the summer.  That one is for him and the 8,000 plus others who suffer with it in the UK.Hopefully we will live to see the day that a decent cure is found for both of these conditions.

[quote user="El Choppo"]What time are you aiming for?If you want to talk traning plans and/or training routes, let me know by sending me an email.[/quote]Hi Chopsy, thanks for the kind offer of the advice.I would love to be able to get under two hours.  But I am wondering whether my health condition (being diabetic) and my late decision to run the race will mean that I fall short of that?I have been looking at the following training plan http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/rws-10-week-150-plus-half-marathon-schedules/99.html but my current fitness level and lack of training so far probably mean that I am more in line with the 3 to 4 week stage, rather than the 5week stage I should be at.That is the main problem - that I am trying to fit a 10 week training program in to a couple of runs I done a few weeks ago plus the 5 and a half weeks we now have until the race.  They don''t call me bonkerz for nothing you know!I have currently done a few 3 mile jogs over the summer, then an 8.5 miles in 1 hour 25 mins a few weeks ago.  I then never ran for a few weeks until I done 7.3 miles last night in 67 mins (although I did run too soon after eating and felt a little sick due to that).I plan to do a 4 mile run (hopefully around Whitlingham) tomorrow and then another of a similar distance on Saturday.I need to get in to running every other day and then see how much I can do over the next week or two.I would then like to have a go at 11 or 12 miles a coouple of weeks before the race and take it easier for the last week to 10 days.I also need to run on some soft land (grass) as the bottom of my left foot could well have problems if not.I will send you a PM with my e:mail address and would appreciate any advice you can give.

For anybody interested, here is an update on my progress so far.My best training session so far was probably the 10 miles that I done a week ago in 1 hour and 21 mins and I have covered approx 42 miles in my training over the last few weeks.I had a little bit of burn out last week, but completed 5.3 miles in 41:43 with a bad upper right foot and a left calf which started to feek the strain over the last mile or so of my run earlier today.Barring injury, which I am trying to be mindful of, with the tough training I was putting myself through in order to get up to speed after trying to fit a 10 week training schedule in to just 5 to 6 weeks.  I am starting to feel confident that if my blood sugar levels etc are ok on the day then I can achieve a pretty reasonable time.Could I just say thank you to the following posters for kindly backing one of my two charities (Diabetes UK and the Cystic Fibrosis Trust)?My thanks go out to Beauseant, TIL1010, Heffers Canary, Graham Humphrey, Woman In The Stands and djc for their kind donations.With pay day just around the corner, then if any more of you could kindly back one of the charities for me, then please click on the relevant link to my justgiving page in my signature below.Thanks once again!Smudge

Also thanks to my mate Cre (Highland Lass)... as you are not a regular poster on here I forgot your name although not your contribution.Apologies to anybody else I may have possibly left out.

Top work Smudge. I get paid on the 12th of November and will donate for you then fella. My Family has a history of diabetes so it''s cause close to me.

Hope you make the game on time aswell bud.

Smudge,Come along to Parkrun on Saturday morning, 9am, Eaton Park.http://www.parkrun.org.uk/norwich/Course.aspxRun there - about a mile and a half, I reckon.  Run the 5k race to hone your competitive streak (and to practice good race discipline, like not going off like a mad thing as per my email). Run home again.   That should be 6 miles and something different for your training plan.

Thanks to thefutureisyellow for his kind donation today and thanks to Lambo also. I will look forward to seeing your donation after the 12th November mate!

Chopsy, I will consider doing the Park Run on Saturday and will let you know ok?

[quote user="Smudger"]I wasn''t planning to.  I was planning to run in a vest supplied to me by Diabetes UK.  But if you, or somebody else wants to provide the yellow morph suit then maybe I will consider wearing it underneath the vest.

[/quote]Smudge if you wear the Morph suit underneath I''ll do you a tenner on each of the two charities.