Sign in to follow this  
ca

Lets discuss Grant Holt

[quote user="cityislife"]No other way of putting it. Holt was a disgrace today.[/quote]There are plenty of other ways of putting it, almost all of which would offer a much more balanced view of his performance than you''ve just done.As ever his work-rate was good, came deep to get the ball on occasion and never stopped running. He certainly doesn''t look like a top-drawer striker at Championship level, but for his leadership and work-rate alone he will offer us more than Martin as a starting player. With so many top games upcoming, giving him a rest or bringing him off the bench for a game or two mightn''t be such a bad idea - he''s still integral to the way we play, but he''s no longer undroppable in my opinion.

Very poor first half performance and I thought he was lucky not to be taken off at half time. Much better second half as were the whole team. But I have never seen such a big target man lose so many headers.

Have to say Holt needs a break from the first team.He didnt look like he was attempting to even win the ball with most of his attempts at flick on''s. Its getting frustraiting week in week out watching long balls hoof towards him only to watch him not only lose out and go to ground trying to buy a free kick. Lets be honest here if this was an away player we would be drubbing him for going down so easily.I think Holt is class and will not slate him, I just think he needs some time to sort his head out and bounce back as Captain Fantastic.Look at Doc last year and Chris Martin''s performance today , Lambert obviously has a knack for man motivation when it comes to dropping  / re-calling players.

Have to agree with Nexus.

Holt is an excellent player/leader and I love his never-say-die attitude.

I just wish Lambert would take him to one side and ask him to concentrate on winning the ball rather then trying to win a free kick every time he goes up for a high one.

I''m not sure his constant moaning at the refs and linesmen does us any favours either.

I say that as constructive criticism because I think he would win more headers, create more chances and still win as many free kicks as he does now if he concentrated on his game. Maybe it''s something to do with the responsibility of being captain.

He looked out of sorts today once the ref had a word with him after about 5-10 minutes and I don''t think he recovered from it when he realised the ref wasn''t going to give much his way.

Holt doesn''t have to right to avoid criticism, and today he deserved a lot. Yes, he worked hard but he didn''t win a single header that I can remember and didn''t threaten goal. Add to that an inability to hold the ball up and you pretty much have the perfect storm as far as a targetman having a stiker is concerned.His distribution was also significantly worse than usual, particularly in the second half, and this ridiculous obsession with not jumping for balls and then claiming a free kick is becoming really annoying, as is the number of times that a good move breaks down as his trudge back from an offside decision has been too slow yet again.

Martin''s introduction suddenly posed questions for Burnley that hadn''t been there all afternoon, as he worked across the line and started to use his body strength to get in front of the centre back and stop him getting a clear jump at the ball. However, the outstanding striker on display was Patterson, whose movement and finishing were excellent.He could have been ours.....

"His distribution was also significantly worse than usual, particularly in the second half, and this ridiculous obsession with not jumping for balls and then claiming a free kick is becoming really annoying, as is the number of times that a good move breaks down as his trudge back from an offside decision has been too slow yet again."

Have to agree with that, I have been slow to critiscse Holt this season but I have to say today I got very frustrated with him. He is not fit IMO, he went down in the first half and was slow to get up, not sure if its a groin problem but something isn`t right, His unwillingness or inability, for what ever reason ,to challenge in the air is becoming a real problem for us.

He isn''t a disgrace you utter twunt!

He was his usual busy self today, won the ball back for the equaliser and he injected the team second half with the desire and passion to get back into the game.

However, he doesn''t look fit I''ll be honest. Maybe he deserves some time out to get over the niggles and knocks? We''ll have to wait until we get another big man in though, cos I''d rather have an unfit Holt than a 100% Martin.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

Holt doesn''t have to right to avoid criticism, and today he deserved a lot. Yes, he worked hard but he didn''t win a single header that I can remember and didn''t threaten goal. Add to that an inability to hold the ball up and you pretty much have the perfect storm as far as a targetman having a stiker is concerned.His distribution was also significantly worse than usual, particularly in the second half, and this ridiculous obsession with not jumping for balls and then claiming a free kick is becoming really annoying, as is the number of times that a good move breaks down as his trudge back from an offside decision has been too slow yet again.

Martin''s introduction suddenly posed questions for Burnley that hadn''t been there all afternoon, as he worked across the line and started to use his body strength to get in front of the centre back and stop him getting a clear jump at the ball. However, the outstanding striker on display was Patterson, whose movement and finishing were excellent.He could have been ours.....

[/quote]

[Y]

IMO Holt has been like this for a quite a number of games and by the sounds of things people are starting to realise this.

Holt looks very unfit and is offering us nothing and when Martin came on he looked as sharp as he has been since he got dropped so why not give Holt a rest and bring back Martin?

He won the ball in the air almost every time, he distributed the ball superbly, he had pace, he worked hard, he made a couple of excellent defensive tackles and he even scored by being in the box when a cross came over all the things that Chris Martin guy cant do. I must say because crofts is suspended I do think at Millwall Holt will have to play for the extra little bit of strength he offers us. Once Crofts is back I would actually now consider a go with Martin and Jackson, although I suspect the fall guy for our forwards not scoreing again will be Jackson.

I thought Holt did a good job today, particularly twice when he had to run back to the edge of our own area to win the ball back, real captains influence. Perhaps if we had a midfield first half he wouldn''t have had to do that? He would have been in the other box as everyone demands!

But the thing that worries me is that he''s not winning his headers, nor does he look like he wants too. He seems like he thinks he''s not going to win the ball so doesn''t and just trys for the foul. This is a confidence more than an ability issue.

Anyone who says he was bad for the team today though, was watching a different game to me!

[quote user="Lambert is King"]

He won the ball in the air almost every time, he distributed the ball superbly, he had pace, he worked hard, he made a couple of excellent defensive tackles and he even scored by being in the box when a cross came over all the things that Chris Martin guy cant do. I must say because crofts is suspended I do think at Millwall Holt will have to play for the extra little bit of strength he offers us. Once Crofts is back I would actually now consider a go with Martin and Jackson, although I suspect the fall guy for our forwards not scoreing again will be Jackson.

[/quote]

Eh?

Holt didn''t score!

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

Totally agree with Beausant and poor management from Lambert to pick him to sum it up briefly his performance over the last three home games "A SACK OF SH*T#!" - 3/10..........

Holt spends more time on the floor than my teenage son, can''t win headers and is offside more times than not.

Having said that he''s all we''ve got in the air so where''s the option.

The boos ringing out when Martin came on for Jackson said it all though. 20000 can''t all be wrong

[quote user="Methane"]Holt spends more time on the floor than my teenage son, can''t win headers and is offside more times than not. Having said that he''s all we''ve got in the air so where''s the option. The boos ringing out when Martin came on for Jackson said it all though. 20000 can''t all be wrong[/quote]

Bingo Methane!

Ahh, I am loving this.

How I suggest this about 2 or 3 weeks ago, and get absolutely murdered for it. Now other people are and it is ok to do so? Love that so much. [:|]

[quote user="Brendo "]

Ahh, I am loving this.

How I suggest this about 2 or 3 weeks ago, and get absolutely murdered for it. Now other people are and it is ok to do so? Love that so much. [:|]

[/quote]

You are clearly a man ahead of your time Brendo. Wink [;)]

[quote user="Gazza"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

Totally agree with Beausant and poor management from Lambert to pick him to sum it up briefly his performance over the last three home games "A SACK OF SH*T#!" - 3/10..........

[/quote]

Some of us were saying this 3 weeks ago [:)]

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="Gazza"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]You certainly were CA. [Y] What annoys me is how Norwich fans think he is/was unable to recieve criticism. What makes him any better than Martin? Or Jackson? Yeah, he was sick last season but he''s been under par this season imo, so why protect him? He''s not been bad by any means, but nowhere near where he could be. If it was someone else playing like he has been he would have been shot down a while ago. Of course I am happy with his goals this season, as he has won us two games away from home for us (obviously other players played well that day). I would like to also add that I think mainly our crossing has been awful. There were a few good balls in yesterday from Korey, and Russell Martin, but not many at all. McNamee''s crossing was awful if I''m honest. So if we got some good balls into the box, Holt might do better I think. [y] [:S]

Keeping the pot boiling nicely CA?You said 10... I said 12..... Now look at it!

[quote user="Brendo "] What annoys me is how Norwich fans think he is/was unable to recieve criticism.  [/quote]

Thats the bit I dont get, we all love Grant Holt, we all appreciate what he did for this club last year and we all know he works his socks off but none of that gives him or anyone else in that team the right never to be subbed or dropped if they are off colour or slightly unfit.

I know we don''t have a suitable replacement at the moment which is why I think its urgent that we get a striker loanee in to help us out and maybe give him a couple of weeks rest on the bench. Either that or start with Martin and Jackson on Tuesday and bring Holty on at half time if things aren''t going well.

I do trust Lambert and I''m sure he''ll make the right decisions re the strike force in the coming games.

I thought that maybe Lambert was a bit hasty in splitting up the Holt/Martin partnership. Holt began to look more effective after Martin came on yesterday. But, having said that, it does seem Jackson is more effective away from home. I''d play Holt/Martin on Tuesday, we are going to miss Crofts and need big hearts and big characters at the New Den.

[quote user="Captain Holts a Controversial Joke"]Surely the boo''s were because people thought Martin shouldn''t be on the pitch ahead of Jackson and not because they wanted Holt off?[/quote]Oh dear, oh dear... how out of touch of reality are you??? [:$]

Oh, but he really does f**k all.
  • 74:12 Assist on the goal came from Grant Holt.

• 74:12 GOAL - David FoxMillwall 0 - 1 Norwich
  • David Fox finds the net with a goal from inside the six-yard box to the top left corner of the goal. Millwall 0-1 Norwich.

[quote user="Lambo"]

6th or 7th assist this season now??

[/quote]6, plus 4 goals I think.  Imagine how many he''d have if he wasn''t out of his depth, unfit and overweight....

[quote user="Brendo "][quote user="cityangel"][quote user="Gazza"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]You certainly were CA. [Y] What annoys me is how Norwich fans think he is/was unable to recieve criticism. What makes him any better than Martin? Or Jackson? Yeah, he was sick last season but he''s been under par this season imo, so why protect him? He''s not been bad by any means, but nowhere near where he could be. If it was someone else playing like he has been he would have been shot down a while ago. Of course I am happy with his goals this season, as he has won us two games away from home for us (obviously other players played well that day). I would like to also add that I think mainly our crossing has been awful. There were a few good balls in yesterday from Korey, and Russell Martin, but not many at all. McNamee''s crossing was awful if I''m honest. So if we got some good balls into the box, Holt might do better I think. [y] [:S][/quote]

Yeah, blud, too tru... I hear yu. He was well sick, innit. Maybe our bredda has some beef from his b!tch and he''s got his mind on other tings, yu get me?!

Brendo have you been getting elocution lessions from Anthony McNamee?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Lambo"]

6th or 7th assist this season now??

[/quote]

6, plus 4 goals I think.  Imagine how many he''d have if he wasn''t out of his depth, unfit and overweight....
[/quote]

Sorry but I  dont think 3 goals in 16 league games is a sign of an in form striker. These are the sort of strike rates our leading goal scorer needs to achieve if we are to stay in the top 6

1Jay BothroydCardiff City10
2Kris CommonsDerby County9
3Chris IwelumoBurnley8
Jamie MackieQueens Park Rangers8
Lewis McGuganNottingham Forest

If he is unfit, surely he could be subbed instead of continually taking Jackson  off when he''s doing ok?