Sign in to follow this  
ca

Lets discuss Grant Holt

[quote user="Brendo "]People who were there yesterday, how well did Grant play?

I aint coming on here to have a huge go at him (although it is known I am not his biggest fan atm), just wanted to see other fans thoughts of him.

What is annoying, is how Lambert brings Hoolahan and Jackson off, and leaves Holt on, when he is probably the least fit, and often playing worse than the others. So what if he is captain, he can hand over the armband to my mate Leon. [:)]
[/quote]

This is what Tim Allman said who was there '''' The only down side to the game for me was up front where we had opportunities and didn’t take them. Holty was not great and struggled, but we didn’t create many chances in the box for him.''''

I was there and to be honest what we got from Holt was much the same as we have for the previous games this season.

Holt either has aproblem or he is simply not good enough for this league. How can a 30 goal a season player turn into an overweight carthorse is beyond me.

For a target man he doesn''t jump. He seems to duck out of the high balls and back into the defender hoping for a free kick. He looks well overweight which was picked up by the Cardiff fans who took the piss yesterday..Somebody else has alredy posted about how much time he spends outwide which again he did yesterday.

The other problem, partially down to his lack of fitness/ weight issue, is the appauling number of high and late challenges he put in again yesterday.

We have a real problem with Grant. On yesterdays performance he is just not worth his place in the side.

Holt was never going to be as dominant as he was last season in a much poorer League and some fans can''t seem to suss out why and are slagging him off which isn''t correct!

He started off slowly but hes done a job in most games without being outstanding. He is a nuisance for defenders much more than Chris (I don''t say Chrissy cause I find people that call him that who probably don''t know him cringeworthy!) Martin and that is the factor with Holt that some fans seem to overlook. Ollie Johnson is also not the answer. Holts the only person at the club that can do the targetman job, Martin certainly can''t. Hence the reason why he doesn''t get dropped or subbed very much cause hes the best we''ve got. Iam concerned that if we were missing Holt for a period we would struggle which is why we are a striker short. We need someone as who can do a similar job to Holt and provide him with serious competition to keep him on his toes!

I''m glad we aren''t paying £30,000 to Kris Boyd who I forgot was even on the pitch last Saturday at Carrow Rd beings he done b uggerall and was absolutely no threat whatsoever!

People who critiscise Holt are nieve and aren''t looking into the situation as closely as they should which is what Lambert has.

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="Brendo "]People who were there yesterday, how well did Grant play?

I aint coming on here to have a huge go at him (although it is known I am not his biggest fan atm), just wanted to see other fans thoughts of him.

What is annoying, is how Lambert brings Hoolahan and Jackson off, and leaves Holt on, when he is probably the least fit, and often playing worse than the others. So what if he is captain, he can hand over the armband to my mate Leon. [:)]
[/quote]

This is what Tim Allman said who was there '''' The only down side to the game for me was up front where we had opportunities and didn’t take them. Holty was not great and struggled, but we didn’t create many chances in the box for him.''''

[/quote]

In the interests of fairness, here''s what Muddy Funster had to say on the Players Ratings thread:

"I asked a lot of the Cardiff fans about who they thought played well for Norwich and they named the following as their top 3. Wes, Crofts, Holt. 

Now Holt did drop off in the 2nd half, he did get kicked a bit and got nothing from the ref, but 1st half, he really was a handful for them. Maybe because I was in the home end, I saw more of his 1st half play."

[quote user="RICH NCFC"]I think give Holt a rest and play Chrissy instead.[/quote]Speaking as a devout Christian.... wouldst thou cast aside the Lord Jesus for the worship of a false God?I will pray for your salvation.

[quote user="Captain Holts Controversial Jokes"]Not worth his place in the side? Oh that''s alright then, Chris Martin will come in and save the day.

[/quote]

Or maybe we can get a loanee striker in so we have another option?

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="RICH NCFC"]I think give Holt a rest and play Chrissy instead.[/quote]

Speaking as a devout Christian.... wouldst thou cast aside the Lord Jesus for the worship of a false God?

I will pray for your salvation.

[/quote]Ha! The Reverend Cluck

Or is it "the river-end"? [^o)]

@cityangel: If we can get someone in better than Holt then great. Unfortunately I don''t see many viable options out there, most of the players in the target man mold are being played consistantly by their sides.

So it''s a matter of trying to get in a player that is not getting first team games in the form of either an older player or a younger player. Whilst one could potentially be another Sibierski the other will be reletively untried and untested.

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="RICH NCFC"]I think give Holt a rest and play Chrissy instead.[/quote]Speaking as a devout Christian.... wouldst thou cast aside the Lord Jesus for the worship of a false God?I will pray for your salvation.

[/quote]Ha! The Reverend Cluck

Or is it "the river-end"? [^o)]

[/quote]If thou hadst been within reach-eth.... thy would smote thy lug....  [;)]

I''d love nothing more than for us to sign a striker better than Holt but the Holt knockers overlook the fact that someone better would cost the best part of £1M. Its very unlikely that we would get someone better on loan discarded by another club!

Anyway I was there on Saturday and while he wasn''t great he still played more than OK. He had a goal disallowed, set up Jackson with a chance that on another day Jackson would of buryed, was in the right to take a chance which he unfortunately he missed (every player misses chances, the elusive striker whos never missed a chance doesn''t exist!) and was a constant menace to the Cardiff defence to the point where he was cynically hacked down and the ref gave nothing. Now if Holt was anonymous and making no mark on games then I''d be saying hes not good enough but that has not been the case. Remember the likes of QPR and Cardiff would hold their own in the bottom end of the Premiershiop and are a long was ahead of the teams we saw last season in League 1!

Holts done a more than reasonable job for us so far. Yes he could of done better but hes nowhere near as bad as what some are making out. Without him we''d struggle unless someone better was brought in!

Since Ashton left we''ve been crying out for a target man-ish, strong centre forward.

Alan Lee wasnt the answer (thank Huck!) but it would appear Holty is.

He might not always be on top form (tell me a player who is) but IMO he is SO vital to the team, dropping him would be nuts.

WE F*CKING LOVE GRANT HOLT

[quote user="chicken"]@cityangel: If we can get someone in better than Holt then great. Unfortunately I don''t see many viable options out there, most of the players in the target man mold are being played consistantly by their sides. So it''s a matter of trying to get in a player that is not getting first team games in the form of either an older player or a younger player. Whilst one could potentially be another Sibierski the other will be reletively untried and untested.[/quote]

Love this quote Chicken so does that mean we should not try to bring in somebody else for fear of failing?. Holt has been poor for half a dozen games now and if we want to take full advantage this season and have a real crack at it we need to improve in his position simple as!.

I for one seriously hope we address this with a "WOW" signing in this position because we can do it this year and may regret the chance if we dont speculate to accumalate!, as far as I''m concerned the position we are in at the moment we have to gamble as much as we possibly can...

[quote user="CT"]Since Ashton left we''ve been crying out for a target man-ish, strong centre forward.

Alan Lee wasnt the answer (thank Huck!) but it would appear Holty is.

He might not always be on top form (tell me a player who is) but IMO he is SO vital to the team, dropping him would be nuts.

WE F*CKING LOVE GRANT HOLT[/quote]This.

As long as he''s in Lamberts starting 11 (which I suspect he will be), that will do for me!

[quote user="Clint"]As long as he''s in Lamberts starting 11 (which I suspect he will be), that will do for me![/quote]Yep....   First name on the teamsheet for me.

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="Clint"]As long as he''s in Lamberts starting 11 (which I suspect he will be), that will do for me![/quote]Yep....   First name on the teamsheet for me.[/quote]

At least we can agree on something.

Holt, Ward and Crofts are first names down for me.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="Clint"]As long as he''s in Lamberts starting 11 (which I suspect he will be), that will do for me![/quote]Yep....   First name on the teamsheet for me.[/quote]

At least we can agree on something.

Holt, Ward and Crofts are first names down for me.[/quote]We''re just different people Chicken.....who see life in very different ways.....For me there''s humour to be found in everything if you look.... and we''re a very long time dead. [;)]

Well at least we cover all the angles. Archant should employ us as match summerisers, we would be like the two judges off the muppets, starting with polarised opinions, meeting somewhere in the middle and then ending on the polar opposites of where we started. Would be entertaining at least . . . .

Missed my first home game of the season so could someone ( who was at the game) give me a fair assessment of Holty today please

3 people in a row on canary call who were at the game think Holt should have been subbed 2nd half and needs a rest ??

[quote user="cityangel"]3 people in a row on canary call who were at the game think Holt should have been subbed 2nd half and needs a rest ??[/quote]Ask them who won the ball back for Crofts to score the equaliser.CA, you''re like a dog with a bone.  Why don''t you just let this go?

[quote user="cityangel"]3 people in a row on canary call who were at the game think Holt should have been subbed 2nd half and needs a rest ??[/quote]Oh, sorry - are we now saying "Canary Call" is the voice of reason?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="cityangel"]3 people in a row on canary call who were at the game think Holt should have been subbed 2nd half and needs a rest ??[/quote]

Oh, sorry - are we now saying "Canary Call" is the voice of reason?

[/quote]

No of course not, I was just repeating what people at the game were saying.

Presume you were there Mr Chops so how did he play for the 90 mins?

[quote user="chicken"]Well at least we cover all the angles. Archant should employ us as match summerisers, we would be like the two judges off the muppets, starting with polarised opinions, meeting somewhere in the middle and then ending on the polar opposites of where we started. Would be entertaining at least . . . .[/quote]Well put Chicken...   Lord only knows where this ''alter ego'' Cluck came from to be honest.... but it''s just for fun and the truth is I''m actually quite a nice guy in reality......  [:)][Y]

[quote user="cityangel"]3 people in a row on canary call who were at the game think Holt should have been subbed 2nd half and needs a rest ??[/quote]

And they all got it wrong.

I''d like to know what they saw in Simeon''s performance that made him worthy of staying on ahead of Grant Holt.

Holt isn''t playing well at the moment but he is a presence and sometimes you need to show a bit of faith in the players who have got you where you are.