Sign in to follow this  
ca

Lets discuss Grant Holt

John Ruddys assist is a credit to him, it was quick thinking by him that allowed us to literally grab a goal by hoofing it straight up to Jackson for the counter

Although I see what your saying, you cant simply look at goals and assists to determine how good a job someone does for us, cos even when players occupy the same positions as others, what they are told to do on the pitch will very according to their own strengths, game plan & opposition

Why on earth does he always go out wide? I think he is massively over rated by many of our fans. I really do. He stays in the middle last night and scores a goal, brilliant. So he thinks he will go out wide after just proving to himself and everybody else he is much better in the middle. He''s not especially quick, not especially agile so why does he really want to be a winger?

He has took his 3 goals this season very well, but he really annoys me. He is so bloody lazy aswell! Just stands there, and wins nothing in the air.

God he annoys me, but we can''t drop our captain really. I say if he is playing poor, just sub him (every game).

This is just my views, feel free to have a go at me for being a squeaky little child with no friends, but if you want to prove you have any sense at all please have a go at me by counter acting my argument with some footballing relating language. Thanks.

I thought he won more flick-ons than usual last night.....just remember although he is our ''target man'' he is only about 6ft tall facing up against centre halves who are easily sub 6ft.

[quote user="Largey"]I thought he won more flick-ons than usual last night.....just remember although he is our ''target man'' he is only about 6ft tall facing up against centre halves who are easily sub 6ft.[/quote]True. This could then mean that what is arguably his best attribute, is now not that good in this league.

We play too many long balls anyway, why don''t we just keep it on the ground more? Surman is needed back I believe!

I''m not sure it is really his best attribute, whatever level you are at if you are up against a big centre half, it will be tough to win the aerial challenges. Can you tell me a centre forward who regularly wins his aerial challenge (bar Drogba or Crouch)?

However I agree that we do play too many long balls. We have a talisman who is 5ft tall and needs the ball at his feet, a striker who is 5ft and needs the ball at his feet, and Holty isn''t too shabby on the ball either. I hate people who shout ''just kick it forward stop passing it around!'' because it means the team are looking for an opening rather than rushing. It is also the same people who bemoan the team when they lose the ball whilst rushing or pumping it high.

[quote user="Brendo "]

Why on earth does he always go out wide? I think he is massively over rated by many of our fans. I really do. He stays in the middle last night and scores a goal, brilliant. So he thinks he will go out wide after just proving to himself and everybody else he is much better in the middle. He''s not especially quick, not especially agile so why does he really want to be a winger?

He has took his 3 goals this season very well, but he really annoys me. He is so bloody lazy aswell! Just stands there, and wins nothing in the air.

God he annoys me, but we can''t drop our captain really. I say if he is playing poor, just sub him (every game).

This is just my views, feel free to have a go at me for being a squeaky little child with no friends, but if you want to prove you have any sense at all please have a go at me by counter acting my argument with some footballing relating language. Thanks.

[/quote]

I''d hide under the table Brendo [:)]

He tends to go out wide when he hasn''t seen much of the ball. With a diamond midfield, naturally we haven''t got players sticking to the wings and therefore should anyone run out wide with the ball, they''ll need assistance. Do we need Holty in the box to get on the end of the crosses? Yes. Do our players require assistance from Holty if they are caught in a cull-de-sac of defenders in the corner of the pitch? Yes. Does Holty have the ability to cut inside off the wing with the ball and battle through the defence to assist or score? Yes.

Stop trying to say something controversial to get a reaction. He''s our leading scorer ffs. If you want overrated, look at Chris Martin.

[quote user="Captain Hols Controversial Jokes"]Stop trying to say something controversial to get a reaction. He''s our leading scorer ffs. If you want overrated, look at Chris Martin.
[/quote]

Oh I agree! We have one good striker at the moment in my opinion, big Simeon! Lappin is not good either. I think our defence is quality, and Crofts and Hoolahan too. But we need Surman back and another striker! Or Holt to sort his ideas out.

Oh god this thread just gets worse!

How many goals has Lappin provided assists for now? Yeah, he has had a couple of mediocre games but he has played well enough.

The problem is when we come up against physical teams and find ourselves too narrow to be able to play around them. The problem with a diamond is that not only do you loose width, you loose a bit of solidity as well, especially with Hoolahan at the point.

I just think that sometimes Lambert needs to be a bit more positive a bit sooner. With Lappin on one side and Macca on the other you know that you will see plenty of balls coming into the box. What Macca would also give you is someone capable of keeping up with Jackson on the break.

If they are man-marking Hoolahan out of the game centrally then perhaps he also needs to be a bit more intelligent, pull out to the wings a bit more to see if it drags his player out wide creating more space in the middle to be exploited.

I still think that the team is growing at this level. Swapping Surman for Lappin at the moment would not address our inability to keep the ball on the deck.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Boyo, you say he is droppable if he carrys on the way he is. Sorry mate I just can''t see any credibility in that statement at all and if i could, who would you replace him with. Please don''t say Chris Martin and Jackson as I simply refer you to the Watford game and others where Holt has not played. Yesterday he caused havoc to a defence with the best defensive record in the league. A total joy to watch.[/quote]

Well actually I would love to see Chris Martin and Jackson together.  And as for the Watford game, yeah lets judge everything on that, the first game of the season in which we were on sky and played a Watford team who played very well.  Yeah lets not give Martin and Jackson any more games together because in one game on the first day of the season they didn''t perform.

Holt may well have caused problems for QPR but he didn''t against Palace despite his goal and in every game I have seen this season I can honestly say that I don''t think he performed well or caused problems for the oppostion defence in any of them.  This season he has been very poor and has looked completely uninterested.

This generation will look back on Grant Holt as a ''legend'' in due course....... He saved the club from the Charlton/Southampton situation of potential disaster and deserves to be worshipped on the same level as Huckerby.Grab one of his shirts as he''ll be the only player of this period fondly remembered when you''re old and grey like....

[quote user="chicken"] If they are man-marking Hoolahan out of the game centrally then perhaps he also needs to be a bit more intelligent, pull out to the wings a bit more to see if it drags his player out wide creating more space in the middle to be exploited.[/quote]

I actually think that Hoolahan does do this and tries his damn hardst to get away from his marker.  His problem is his one footedness.  Hoolahan will be out on the left but will want to come inside thus coming onto his right, he is so pathetic with his right it''s unbelievable so he loses it here.  When he is on the right he tries to cut inside onto his left but any defender with a half a brain cell knows to show him down the right and then he also loses possesion this way.

Hoolahan is always moving about and getting the ball in different areas but his one footedness is letting him down when he gets the ball in these areas.

I like him a bit more after today, but still a dislike. He actually won a header, and tried to win others by using his only good attribute, his fatness, which was a pleasant surprise. [:)]

DROP HIM, I DONT CARE HOW GOOD HE WAS LAST SEASON IF HE THINKS HE DOESN''T HAVE TO TRY IN THE PRE MATCH WARM UP AND STILL GET A PLACE HE NEEDS A KICK UP THE BACK SIDE AND WE NEED SOME COMP FOR PLACES AS A TARGET MAN!

HE HAD A SHOT FROM 30/35 YARDS AND REALLY WASTED A GOOD CHANCE - THE TEAM JUST GET BACK INTO POSITION

CROFTS HAS A SHOT FROM 25/30 YARDS AND AGAIN WASTED THE CHANCE - HOLT MOANS AT HIM AND HE IS MEANT TO BE THE ENCOURAGING CAPTAIN ?[:s]

[quote user="Brendo "]

I like him a bit more after today, but still a dislike. He actually won a header, and tried to win others by using his only good attribute, his fatness, which was a pleasant surprise. [:)]

[/quote]You fucking pathetic little child Brendo - you were comfortable enough licking Holt''s arse all last season and because he hasn''t scored 500 goals so far you claim his ''fatness'' is his only good attribute.I suggest you actually watch football matches properly, and try to use the few brain cells you have to form an opinion which isn''t created just so you can have a little argument on here with someone, like me, for example. [:)]

[quote user="I am a Banana"]Yeah Martin and Jackson would be a better partnership at the moment then holt and jackson![/quote]And why do you say that?Martin isn''t lazy, but doesn''t have Holt''s work ethic or leadership.  So what would Martin/Jackson give us that Holt/Jackson doesn''t?

[quote user="I am a Banana"]Yeah Martin and Jackson would be a better partnership at the moment then holt and jackson![/quote]Jesus Christ.Are the conservatives putting more money towards Education, or less? This post suggests more is needed.Either that, or we kill of all the stupid people as soon as they turn eighteen.I''m waiting, Nana....

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Brendo "]

[/quote]

You fucking pathetic little child Brendo - you were comfortable enough licking Holt''s arse all last season and because he hasn''t scored 500 goals so far you claim his ''fatness'' is his only good attribute.

I suggest you actually watch football matches properly, and try to use the few brain cells you have to form an opinion which isn''t created just so you can have a little argument on here with someone, like me, for example. [:)]
[/quote]Brilliant.

I do not think he is a good player at the moment, just my oninion. I think he has the potential to be, but he has very stupid ideas. He was better today and stayed in the middle, and got an assist by doing so. If he just stays in the middle, and is patient I believe he will do well, as he is strong and decent in the air (when he can be arsed). Jackson is awesome, I really like him. He tries so hard and has the right idea. Holt, in my opinion, can be a very irresponsible captain at times, but is good one. C.Martin annoys me too, with his mentality. He just gets angry and whinges to the ref.

I don''t crave attention, I just want to express my views of Holt being not that good, and far over rated. I do realise it was a very childish way of doing so, and I apologise, but he really did grind my gears the other night.

I think our defence is superb. Barnett and Ward are brick walls at the back, and I really rate Martin at right back. Steven (sp?) Smith has been poor for the last two games, but needs time to settle in. Hoolahan, Crofts, and Korey Smith (at times) really impress me in midfield. Lappin is not consistently good enough in my opinion, we really need Surman back. Having said that, Fox looked good today, as did McNamee for parts. And at the moment, Jackson is the only striker I rate, which is why I was so anti-Holt. Obviously my opinion counts for nothing though.

I have no idea what formation we should play now. There is the diamond, and classic 4-4-2, which both have positives and negatives. The diamond is superb for Hoolahan when he is clicking, but when he isn''t it is poor. 4-4-2 offers more width, but Lappin has not been looking too good out wide, although he got a good assist on tuesday night.

I am not sure what we are going to do in the future, as I would like to see all 3 of our strikers , McNamee, Surman (when fit), Smith, Fox, Crofts and Hoolahan all involved. Unfortunately we aren''t allowed a 14 man team. [:(]

I do feel we have a quality defence though, which is good!

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="I am a Banana"]Yeah Martin and Jackson would be a better partnership at the moment then holt and jackson![/quote]

Jesus Christ.

Are the conservatives putting more money towards Education, or less? This post suggests more is needed.

Either that, or we kill of all the stupid people as soon as they turn eighteen.

I''m waiting, Nana....
[/quote]Oh, and on a personal note, please stop criticising people without justifying why. You are just as bad if you reply by just whipping them for being young. If you were to disagree with him using some footballing examples/terms, then fair enough...

[quote user="I am a Banana"]DROP HIM, I DONT CARE HOW GOOD HE WAS LAST SEASON IF HE THINKS HE DOESN''T HAVE TO TRY IN THE PRE MATCH WARM UP AND STILL GET A PLACE HE NEEDS A KICK UP THE BACK SIDE AND WE NEED SOME COMP FOR PLACES AS A TARGET MAN![/quote]

Jeez! I''ve somehow logged on to planet la la land.

You can''t just slag Holt like that Nana, the odd poor game, iyo, does not merit your reply about our fantastic captain.

Behave.[:@]

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="I am a Banana"]DROP HIM, I DONT CARE HOW GOOD HE WAS LAST SEASON IF HE THINKS HE DOESN''T HAVE TO TRY IN THE PRE MATCH WARM UP AND STILL GET A PLACE HE NEEDS A KICK UP THE BACK SIDE AND WE NEED SOME COMP FOR PLACES AS A TARGET MAN![/quote]

Jeez! I''ve somehow logged on to planet la la land.

You can''t just slag Holt like that Nana, the odd poor game, iyo, does not merit your reply about our fantastic captain.

Behave.[:@]

[/quote]Just wait until he''s fully fit. Come Monday November 1st, he''ll be like a white John Fashanu.