Sign in to follow this  
Duffman

Norwich WERE close to Administration....

Norwich City came close to going into administration just as manager Paul Lambert''s revolution was beginning to take shape.

City chief executive David McNally said last night that City had been in “a very dark tunnel”, but had managed to finance Lambert''s plans, and then watch them take shape and return the club to the Championship at the first attempt.

However, McNally said the cost of backing the manager will be revealed in financial figures which would not make “pretty reading”.

“Let''s not forget where we were 12 months ago,” he said. “The realism is that when the new board took control we had £23m of debt and an income plan which would not cover costs for the coming year, no way.

“We were heading for administration and we were in League One. Our £23m of debt was weighing us down and we had to think about what this great football club needed.

“We put in place a business turnaround plan. We needed to ensure we survived as a football club last autumn because it did get very close.

“Administration was a real possibility last autumn.

“Last autumn the support that Michael Foulger, Delia and Michael Wynn Jones gave the club was sensational, in a difficult time for the business.”

McNally was speaking at the annual meeting of Ncisa, the Norwich City Independent Supports Club, when he defended the club''s pricing policy - particularly in relation to the scrapping of the concessionary ticket charge for under-21s, and said changes had to be made to help keep the club afloat.

“I think some of the things that have gone on here are brilliant, in terms of developing a hungry support,” he said. “But we can''t be all things to all people. One of the problems with affordable family football is the only ones who can''t afford it are the football club. Losses, losses, losses. If we wanted this football club to thrive we had to do something.

“We are so privileged to have 20,800 season ticket holders, it is the envy of football, it is terrific.

“It was with a heavy heart that we put the prices up last year and, guess what, there may be increases again, if it means we balance the books.”

The under-21 debate, he said, had surprised him and while one student fan pointed out that he was charged adult prices as a casual supporter despite not bringing in a salary, McNally said the cost of the under-21 season ticket was competitive at £173 - £7.52 a game.

“20,800 versus 5,000 - you have to do the maths,” he said. “On my watch, I want to ensure that we, in the first instance, balance the books.

“If you say to me I give season ticket holders an advantage over casual supporters, I am guilty.”

McNally was also asked if the club would be able to “sign off the accounts” in the current financial year.

“The financial results for last year will not be pretty,” he said. “We were relegated, we had to do something about getting promoted, it was the only goal so we will make a significant loss for 09-10. It''s not pretty.

“But four months in (the current financial year) and we are on track for our financial targets. The banks are very pleased with the progress the football club has made.

“The forecast for this year, despite the fact Paul Lambert has been given a competitive budget, is we are on plan for this business to wash its face on what really is the first stage of the road to recovery, because if a business can''t cover its costs it should not be in business.

“There is light at the end of the tunnel, whereas last autumn we had not much - it was a pretty dark tunnel.”

The other costing issue raised was that of food and drinks inside the stadium, although McNally laughed off a claim that fans would not be allowed to bring in their own food.

“Prices did go up, one or two of them at a rate we don''t like,” he said. “We weren''t making money and there is no point. You are better off doing nothing than selling something you are losing money on so we had to do something with the prices.”

£5 says Wiz returns to these boards today.....

[quote user="a1canary"]Are the NotW going to ask for their money back!?![/quote]Doubt it, because didn''t they say that we were actually going into administration?

Feeling a bit grumpy today NCFC4LIFE?

Go back to bed for a few hours then come back when you have something productive to say, there''s a good lad.

Quality answer to the studentt hat bitched about the ticket prices, by a season ticekt you mug, then if you go more than 7 times you have your money back - dickhead

I wouldn''t mind paying more for my season ticket next season because the club is now making it worthwhile. We have a quality manager and a very competitive squad.

You feel safe that the extra money you might have to pay will be invested wisely into the club.

Well done to McNally.

He gave a good account of why hes doing what hes doing.

Just looked on the official site and there are very few seats left for Hull game, so attendance will probably be highest so far this season.

[quote user="Brendo "][quote user="a1canary"]Are the NotW going to ask for their money back!?![/quote]Doubt it, because didn''t they say that we were actually going into administration?[/quote]NOTW claimed we''d could go into administration by Thursday http://tiny.cc/mqawm when the article was written around January.  McNally said that administration was close last Autumn.  In other words NOTW was still wrong.  But Wiz''s claims at the start of the L1 season wasn''t too far away from the mark.

It''s a shame that the ticket pricing has changed the way it has - but if it''s part of the plan to keep the club out of administration I''m all for it.

NOTW claimed we''d could go into administration by Thursday http://tiny.cc/mqawm when the article was written around January.  McNally said that administration was close last Autumn.  In other words NOTW was still wrong.  But Wiz''s claims at the start of the L1 season wasn''t too far away from the mark.

Throw enough sh!t and some is bound to stick. That man has an opinion on everything and changes his mind as often as needed to ensure he''s right on something. Please don''t dignify him by insinuating that he had some inside info..

[quote user="Duffman"]I wouldn''t mind paying more for my season ticket next season because the club is now making it worthwhile. We have a quality manager and a very competitive squad.

You feel safe that the extra money you might have to pay will be invested wisely into the club.[/quote]That''s the key point, I think.  The Club *has* to charge extra for financial stability, but it''s been forced to do so at the almost perfect time; people are still getting value for money despite the ''high'' (read: no more or less than most clubs in the division) ticket prices. 

you just can''t let it go can you Shack, even tho you have driven him out you still have to keep having a go - Prick

[quote user="Jason Shackells limp Tackle"]

NOTW claimed we''d could go into administration by Thursday http://tiny.cc/mqawm when the article was written around January.  McNally said that administration was close last Autumn.  In other words NOTW was still wrong.  But Wiz''s claims at the start of the L1 season wasn''t too far away from the mark.

Throw enough sh!t and some is bound to stick. That man has an opinion on everything and changes his mind as often as needed to ensure he''s right on something. Please don''t dignify him by insinuating that he had some inside info..

[/quote]Look I understand that Wiz is the resident ''punchbag'' in some quarters.  But as a reader for many years imo I can tell the difference from Wiz in wind up mode.  Wiz in ''sozzled'' mode and Wiz in genuine mode.  [:)]

Perhaps it might have been qualified by telling us how much nearer we were than before ?

And how much nearer, in say a league table, than most other clubs ?

Or if we were that close then why was nothing done (drastic action) in the immediate weeks before McNally was appointed ?

This is just a bit of scaremongering I''m afraid. Quite necessary and should do the job.

(it would have helped though if the audience had kicked the shit out of the whinging student).

@ Jason Shackell''s Limp tackleCould say EXACTLY the same about a strategy of knocking what a poster

says for everything, eventually one/some of their predictions are going

to be wrong.

Last night was my first experience of The Butcher Of Colney live and in the flesh and I have to say I was mightily impressed. He had all the numbers at his fingertips, answered every question fully and generally gave the impression of being in total control. I''d be happy to have him running my business!

His answer to the student was pretty solid. NCFC is a business, and one which was technically insolvent a year ago, so giving tickets away makes no economic sense. Yes, we might be encouraging future generations of support, but that will be of no relevance if the club ceases to exist. I thought that the student made his original point well, before the thrill of being on the soapbox got to him and he started to call for boycotts of games.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

Last night was my first experience of The Butcher Of Colney live and in the flesh and I have to say I was mightily impressed. He had all the numbers at his fingertips, answered every question fully and generally gave the impression of being in total control. I''d be happy to have him running my business!

His answer to the student was pretty solid. NCFC is a business, and one which was technically insolvent a year ago, so giving tickets away makes no economic sense. Yes, we might be encouraging future generations of support, but that will be of no relevance if the club ceases to exist. I thought that the student made his original point well, before the thrill of being on the soapbox got to him and he started to call for boycotts of games.

[/quote]Did he say whether or not we are any closer to finding investment ?

[quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]
Did he say whether or not we are any closer to finding investment ?
[/quote]

No, but he made it very clear that part of the rationale behind Stephen Fry joining the Board was his network of contacts which may bear fruit at some point.

He also said that there was a 7 year plan to stabilise the club and get it to the point of being a Premiership regular, but that the increasing divide meant that it may need to be accelerated. He also said that the Board had agreed to every request that Lambert has made to sign a player.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]Did he say whether or not we are any closer to finding investment ?[/quote]

No, but he made it very clear that part of the rationale behind Stephen Fry joining the Board was his network of contacts which may bear fruit at some point.

He also said that there was a 7 year plan to stabilise the club and get it to the point of being a Premiership regular, but that the increasing divide meant that it may need to be accelerated. He also said that the Board had agreed to every request that Lambert has made to sign a player.

[/quote]Cheers, for the first time in ages I feel confidence in the way the club is being run and hopefully we can secure some investment in the not to distant future.

[quote user="paulo79"]you just can''t let it go can you Shack, even tho you have driven him out you still have to keep having a go - Prick[/quote]

I have driven him from this messageboard? The last time I checked he left of his own free will, not because of any caustic comments but, because Morty had exposed him for falsifying claims about something (albeit rather trivial).

I have nothing against wiz, I am sure that he is a smashing fellow but when you ''put your head above the parapet'', you expect to get shot at. And, let''s face it, it is not only that Wiz expects to get shot at he wants to be..

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

As much as I hold Mr Fry in high esteem, I am sadly, still not that convinced that the appointment of Stephen to the board - will truly bear and attract the fruits of ''serious investment''.....

But...hopefully I will be proved wrong.....and folk can then dig out this thread - and rejoice in the failure of the cynic within me....(but I do think I''m quite safe for the forseeable future)

[quote user="ZiggyPiggy"]@ Jason Shackell''s Limp tackle

Could say EXACTLY the same about a strategy of knocking what a poster says for everything, eventually one/some of their predictions are going to be wrong.
[/quote]

Bearing in mind I have only recently started posting, whereas Wiz has accumulated 15/16K of posts over five years, would suggest your comment to wide of the mark. In 90 odd posts I have ''reacted'' to wiz twice, BOTH times he''d made: spurious / libellous / factually incorrect / attention seeking (delete as appropriate) comments.. This is a mesage board after all..

I agree Mellow. I think his twitter followers who aren''t NCFC fans i.e. 90% of them, will very quickly switch off if he starts trying to plug NCFC on there. If there''s a way of using social media to enhance investment and or income at a football club, i''m all for it, but i can''t see how myself. More than happy for a more social media savvy person than me - i.e. anyone - to enlighten me though!

So was he supportive of Fry''s appointment to the board or was it just a ruse by the cook to get another luvvie onside to help send the club into oblivion?

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

As much as I hold Mr Fry in high esteem, I am sadly, still not that convinced that the appointment of Stephen to the board - will truly bear and attract the fruits of ''serious investment''.....

But...hopefully I will be proved wrong.....and folk can then dig out this thread - and rejoice in the failure of the cynic within me....(but I do think I''m quite safe for the forseeable future)

[/quote]

I got the impression last night Mello that with the FIFA rule changes a benifactor or rich owner after 2013 wold be of any benefit. I got the impression that the plan is to pay our debts of from one promotion and then the FIFA rule changes would mean that we really would be a big club because of our ticket income.