Sign in to follow this  
CDMullins

Lappin or Mcnamee Tomorrow?

Home, winable game, will we start with Lappin or Mcnamee?

Think I''d side with caution and play Lapin, especially after his impressive performance at Preston

The 50k bargain from St Mirren every time , no disrespect to Macca cause I''m a huge fan but impact player is his calling, plus he is darn good at it too.

Has to be the inform Lappin for me and Macca on the bench as a super sub.

It''s a home game against opposition out of form - I''d field McNamee in his preferred left-wing berth and a signing of a pacy wide player on the right within a 4-4-2 -- unfortunately it''s a winning Plan B we don''t possess, so Lambo will go with Lappin and the diamond which''ll hopefully garner the desired result.Christmas and the second half of the season WILL cost us dearly if pace isn''t injected into the squad.

[quote user="CDMullins"]

Think I''d side with caution and play Lapin, especially after his impressive performance at Preston

[/quote]

Sorry CDMullins but this really is a daft thread. Lappins insperational peformance against Preston and MaNamees tipid performance against Doncaster kind of answers your question.

Like everyone above says Lappin. He is part of a solid formation that works. With Macca and Jackson on the bench we can go for broke late on if we need a goal and Lambert has the right formation to put them in to do it.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"][quote user="CDMullins"]

[/quote]

Sorry CDMullins but this really is a daft thread. Lappins insperational peformance against Preston and MaNamees tipid performance against Doncaster kind of answers your question.

[/quote]

This question was asked before the Doncaster match, which returned the very same answers. Then Mcanamee started, which was a bit suprising considering we were away from home against a decent side, so why is it so unthinkable Mcnamee may get the nod today?

[quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Thecanaryfan"][quote user="CDMullins"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

This question was asked before the Doncaster match, which returned the very same answers. Then Mcanamee started, which was a bit suprising considering we were away from home against a decent side, so why is it so unthinkable Mcnamee may get the nod today?

[/quote]

Yes, I asked the question. But this was immediatley after McNamee had come on and won us the game against Barnsley. Two games have followed, games which have identified that McNamee (with the structure of our squad) should only play as an impact sub especially with Lappin in the pecking order. I actually wanted McNamee to start, I have been gladly proven wrong.

Dont get me wrong. Lambert may very well start McNamee, but it would be one of the biggest manager clangers that any Norwich manager has ever made, especially if it ended in tears.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"][quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Thecanaryfan"][quote user="CDMullins"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, I asked the question. But this was immediatley after McNamee had come on and won us the game against Barnsley. Two games have followed, games which have identified that McNamee (with the structure of our squad) should only play as an impact sub especially with Lappin in the pecking order. I actually wanted McNamee to start, I have been gladly proven wrong.

Dont get me wrong. Lambert may very well start McNamee, but it would be one of the biggest manager clangers that any Norwich manager has ever made, especially if it ended in tears.

[/quote]

Sort it out Canaryfan - first of all you tell the OP his thread is daft because the answer is so obvious, then you suggest you might be wrong! So a perfectly reasonable question then.

Then to suggest that Lambert picking Macca would be "one of th biggest clangers that any Norwich manager has ever made"? WtF?

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"][quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Thecanaryfan"][quote user="CDMullins"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hold on, How can the question be that daft, if Mcnamee''may very well start''?

[quote user="Shyster"]It''s a home game against opposition out of form - I''d field McNamee in his preferred left-wing berth and a signing of a pacy wide player on the right within a 4-4-2 -- unfortunately it''s a winning Plan B we don''t possess, [/quote]

Surely that would be a winning plan C shyster - the diamond being plan A and changing the shape bringin on McNamee is plan B - both of which currently continue to be winning formulae 

Shyster, I agree with you that a pacy wide player would be a good addition, but would you really then play 4-4-2 with two out and out wingers, which is basically 4-2-4? If so, who would be your central midfield pair? Crofts and Korey, presumably, leaving Wes out? I''d be very worried about the solidity of such a line-up in this league. Surely the route to success in this league is to keep a really tight shape and make it difficult for the opposition. The results so far would suggest that: when we''ve lined up open, we''ve conceded three (vs Watford and Doncaster); when we''ve kept it tight we''ve won or drawn.

The diamond has its flaws (lack of width being the obvious one), but so far I would argue it''s been even better suited to this league, where, let''s face it, we''re a mid-table side rather than the top side we were in League One last year, where we could basically have played any formation we wanted and won most games with Hoolahan, Martin and Holt in the side.

Thoughts?

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]

Shyster, I agree with you that a pacy wide player would be a good addition, but would you really then play 4-4-2 with two out and out wingers, which is basically 4-2-4? If so, who would be your central midfield pair? Crofts and Korey, presumably, leaving Wes out? I''d be very worried about the solidity of such a line-up in this league. Surely the route to success in this league is to keep a really tight shape and make it difficult for the opposition. The results so far would suggest that: when we''ve lined up open, we''ve conceded three (vs Watford and Doncaster); when we''ve kept it tight we''ve won or drawn.

The diamond has its flaws (lack of width being the obvious one), but so far I would argue it''s been even better suited to this league, where, let''s face it, we''re a mid-table side rather than the top side we were in League One last year, where we could basically have played any formation we wanted and won most games with Hoolahan, Martin and Holt in the side.

Thoughts?

[/quote]

There''s all sorts of possibilities though Robert. But I have no doubt that the diamond suits the squad we have available today. In fact if we were to play 442 with pacey wide players I would think we would have to sign two. I don''t think McNamee is up to playing such a demanding role in this league and his main strenth is being used a an impact sub. Which in itself is a very important role in the modern game.

I agree that a 442 with pacey wide players would rule Hoolahan out of a midfield place but he would also be effective up front with either Holt or martin. They''re all options.

Yes, agree with most of that. McNamee would always be on the bench for me, which I''d encourage him not to see as an insult. He''s a match-winner as a supersub.

The front two is also an interesting conunudrum. Martin looks better as the second striker, where he can drop off, get the ball and spread the play. But that''s exactly what Wes would do if he were up front: therefore I can''t see how you could play them together, unless you told Martin to be an out-and-out number 9, which isn''t exactly playing to his strengths. Any combination with Holt in a 442 involves leaving one of Martin and Hoolahan out, and since they are our most creative players, that seems crazy. I suppose Martin could play on the left in a 4-4-2.

But for me it all keeps coming back the the diamond. We keep playing it because it best suits our personnel, in particular Wes.

[quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Thecanaryfan"][quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Thecanaryfan"][quote user="CDMullins"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Eh, because I''m not Paul Lambert and I''m not a clairvoiant.

My point is it would be incredably stupid if McNamee started ahead of Lappin. Their last two performances clearly outlined who has more of an impact when starting a football match. Paul Lambert is not stupid.

You have cleary spent ttime pondering the decision. Fair enough, but the decision from my stance is an absolute no brainer.

I agree Robert. If Hoolahan was to play up front ideally it would be with Holt. And they are so tuned into eachother that I''m convinced it would work. But all three, Holt Martin and Hoolahan, are huge players for us and the diamond caters perfectly to allow all three to play.

Why is this such a no brainer to everyone? Macca had a bad game against Donny and Lappin had a good game against Preston...so what?

Does that automatically mean Lappin is going to have a blinder against Hull - an entirely different team, with different tactics, played in a different environment? I''m pretty sure Lambo doesn''t pick the team based on who played best last, he will pick the team that he thinks will win the game. This may change!

The diamond hasn''t yet worked at home this season but has been very effective away so I think this is a more than valid question.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"][quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Thecanaryfan"][quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Thecanaryfan"][quote user="CDMullins"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Eh, because I''m not Paul Lambert and I''m not a clairvoiant.

My point is it would be incredably stupid if McNamee started ahead of Lappin. Their last two performances clearly outlined who has more of an impact when starting a football match. Paul Lambert is not stupid.

You have cleary spent ttime pondering the decision. Fair enough, but the decision from my stance is an absolute no brainer.

[/quote]

If it is a ''no brainer'' and the question is ''daft'', then why state ''Mcnamee may very well start''. surly this means the question is not daft?