Sign in to follow this  
CanaryJames

Stephen Hughes

Not even been on the bench for the last two games, and (as far as I know) he''s not injured.

I don''t understand why he''s not involved at all. He''s not perfect, but he''s definitely got something to offer in my opinion.

People may slate me, but Korey Smith has struggled a little the last two games. If Hughes had any degree of match fitness (which he almost certainly doesn''t), I''d be tempted to start him in Smith''s position on Tuesday. He''s probably a more creative player, and he''s shown before how hard-working he can be.

He just seems completely forgotten, which I feel is wrong as he''s a talented player.

Lappin can be very creative on the left. Some of his crosses (especially in the 1st half) caused mayhem. He faded a little in the latter stages, but he''s still creative.

I just don''t feel (and I will be slated, because he''s an academy player) that we get that with Smith on the right. I think he''s a fine player, but we need something extra. He''s too similar to Crofts, and when Crofts is the better player (currently, maybe not long-term as KS will go a long way) and playing deeper, we need something extra in Smith''s position...

Hughes can offer that...

Trouble is Gill and OTJ just weren''t good enough for league 1, its not really that they were frozen out.  Hughes is a strange one though.  I think the team has been performing well so its difficult to change the team, look at Fox, he cant get in, Lappins only got his chance cos of Surmans injury.  Perhaps its jus that Hughes isn''t showing enough in training.  If hes still not featuring leading up to January, we will surely have to look to sell him, though his wages and contract may put other teams off.

[quote user="CanaryJames"]Not even been on the bench for the last two games, and (as far as I know) he''s not injured.

I don''t understand why he''s not involved at all. He''s not perfect, but he''s definitely got something to offer in my opinion.

People may slate me, but Korey Smith has struggled a little the last two games. If Hughes had any degree of match fitness (which he almost certainly doesn''t), I''d be tempted to start him in Smith''s position on Tuesday. He''s probably a more creative player, and he''s shown before how hard-working he can be.

He just seems completely forgotten, which I feel is wrong as he''s a talented player.[/quote]

Don''t consider this a "slating", but I do disagree that Smith has struggled. Yes, he is not a creative midfielder in the same ilk as Wes and Hughes, however, his tireless workrate combined with his obvious quality means that he needs to be on the pitch!The possible solution is to go 4 5 1 with Holt as a lone striker - Chrissy Martin has a lot of quality, but we need to be flexible when he''s not firing on all cylinders!

It''s a strange one certainly, he seemed to change the game when he came on against Blackburn in the cup and was unlucky not to score. Would have no complaints from me if he were involved, but the team is playing well at the minute and the last thing any manager wants to do is unsettle that team.

I don''t rate him that highly...but maybe he does need a run of 3/4 games in the season....But I don''t think Smith deserves to be dropped, so its a hard one really.....And Hughes presumably won''t be as effective on the left (Lappins position....), because it would be easier to drop Lappin, as he will probably be out as soon as Surman is fit, unless he really performs highly every game until he is back (and i like Lappin....)