Sign in to follow this  
Binky

What we are missing...

....is a defender that can stamp his authority on the game. Might be partly due to our captain being up front of course. Good though Barnett was yesterday, he was not a man giving orders and whilst Ward might have that potential, he''s too inconsistent IMO. Anyone notice the immense contribution Martin Taylor is making at Watford? Set up one goal and set another in motion - and with Leroy Lita in the opposition line-up too.  Whilst fans are understandably jittery when Holt & Martin miss chances, defeats at Doncaster and against Hull were not just the fault of our forwards.

Blimey, best defence we have had in years and now they are coming in for flack. It seems to be everyones fault except Holts as to why Holt is not scoring.

I think you will find throughout this season that we win more points because we have managed a clean sheet than Holt and Martin have scored a lot of goals in any game.

I personally think we are missing a Darren Huckerby type player who has the ability to make things happen. I thought we defended very well for the most part yesterday with one of their goals being scored via a lucky deflection and the other from an unstoppable free kick, if Hucks was in this team I think we''d get promoted just like we did six years ago.

Agreed 100%.

We have a very good defence IMO and what the OP was saying is nonsense.  We also have a good attack but we need just that one player who will make it a very good attack.  Holt and Martin are both two good players but aren''t players that will win a match on their own like Huckerby used to.  And if anyone says we have that player in Hoolahan then, well, no, just no.

"Lambert is King":

"Blimey, best defence we have had in years and now they are coming in for flack".

I agree its the best we''ve had for sometime and my comments are hardly "flack". Doesn''t alter my view though  that we could do with someone like Martin Taylor (great player) to assume control. Always good and always consistent when he played for us.

"It seems to be everyones fault except Holts as to why Holt is not scoring."

Not at all - Holt is struggling IMO and still spends too much effort in giving some physical to the opposition rather than winning the ball. But Holt can hardly be blamed for goals conceded can he?

[quote user="kdncfc"]. I thought we defended very well for the most part yesterday with one of their goals being scored via a lucky deflection and the other from an unstoppable free kick, if Hucks was in this team I think we''d get promoted just like we did six years ago.[/quote]Don''t disagree with those comments either kdcfc. Certainly can''t blame the defence (or Ruddy) for failing to stop that free kick but it was conceded right on the box. If the Doc had conceded

that he would have got flack

wouldn''t he? I''d rather the captain was in central

defence than up front or at least see someone with a bit more authority there. I''m not totally convinced by Ward as a class defender (though he did perform some nice deft touches under pressure yesterday)

or that there''s a potential captain in Barnett. I am however convinced that Watford will do well this season so long as Taylor stays fit - he was the main man for our opening defeat btw. Malky, of all people, knows the importance of someone like that.