Sign in to follow this  
ryan1992

Why the lack of goals?

I, like many, can''t believe we lost today. The amount of times the ball went across the 6 yard box, where, if anybody got a touch we would have scored, and all the opportunities we had (Martins for example) was crazy! Is anybody worried that the top 3 are not scoring, or do you think it will all ''click'' soon? Last year, there was no stopping Holt, Chrissy and Wes, but this year they seem like they don''t know how to score. I''m just hoping that this league isn''t too much for them, as this is my only real concern about our current side.

We haven''t been playing the same as last season...

Reading the BBC commentary (i.e 34th min, Drury crosses the ball, cleared by whoever), it seems like we are putting in a lot of crosses, and that is something i noticed in the games i have been to this season (all the other home games...), which is a completely different style to last season really...and both Martin and Holt seem to go wide far too often, so aren''t in the box...were going back to the days of Lee croft putting in 7ft high crosses for Earnshaw....

We need Hoolahan to be pulling strings, Holt to start muscling around more, Martin to start getting the ball in the net, rather than the woodwork or keepers hands...and then the midfield need to support this well....And from what i have seen, Korey, Lappin and Crofts have been really good, and should be doing this....

Well, personally I don''t think Holt is quite good enough for the Championship but can do a ''job'' which is why not much is happening from him.  I also think the same about Hoolahan, every time I have seen him play this season he just gets mucsled out.  We need a Huckerby type player because at the moment we have a good attack but are still missing that little something special.

1, Trying to pass the ball into the net, EG, Simon Lappin when he went through on goal but elected to pass instead of blast it at the goal!

2, Poor finishing from Chris Martin when he went through and not getting barely any of the headed half chances we had down on target!

3, The ball wouldn''t run or bounce on most occasions as well!

We done everything bar score yesterday but then again it was almost a reversal of the Swansea home game where they dominated play and we got 2 late goals.

These results happen from time to time and we''ve just got to move on and try and win on Tuesday!

My Grandad said he though Hull defended very well.... I mentioned the Chris Martin 1 on 1, and he said he had to give the keeper credit for that...rather than completely blaming Martin...

It was good keeping from Matt Duke, gave Martin no time to think about what he was going to do whatsoever.

Still, have to be wary of Leicester now after their 6-1 thrashing at Pompey. Need to put these chances away.

Holt was brought in to do a job at Div.3 level and did it well. Martin showed his quality at that level too....This tier is a whole new ball game, although still a million miles apart from the Premiership.... a level where Lambert also needs alot more nous if we are to progress beyond ''average''.Perhaps maybe some of you can see the significance of being relegated to Div. 3 for the first time in 50 years and how difficult it will be to return to the now ''acceptable'' level we were at when Robert Chase was hounded out.This is Division Two..... and we''ve spent many years at this level already.  Where we are is now is less than ''acceptable'' and shouldn''t be confused with success.... the level at which Robert Chase was so cynically maligned as the villain he never was.

I like Holty as much as everyone else and he did a great job in League 1 last year plus I know he''s not fully fit but the fact is he hasn''t played at this level before and I think we could do with  bringing  in on oan maybe another proven championship striker of a simular style to give him some competition.

Is there really a lack of goals? We have scored 10 in 8 games, which equates to 58 over a 46 game season. I don''t think anyone was expecting us to score as freely as we did last season, and anyway I believe more goals will come as our strikers get used to playing at the higher level. I have always said that it will take 10 or 12 games to find our feet in this league, so let''s be patient.Incidentally, Leicester got into the play offs last season with only 61 scored, and Swansea came 7th with only 40 goals.

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"]Holt was brought in to do a job at Div.3 level and did it well. Martin showed his quality at that level too....This tier is a whole new ball game, although still a million miles apart from the Premiership.... a level where Lambert also needs alot more nous if we are to progress beyond ''average''.

Perhaps maybe some of you can see the significance of being relegated to Div. 3 for the first time in 50 years and how difficult it will be to return to the now ''acceptable'' level we were at when Robert Chase was hounded out.

This is Division Two..... and we''ve spent many years at this level already.  Where we are is now is less than ''acceptable'' and shouldn''t be confused with success.... the level at which Robert Chase was so cynically maligned as the villain he never was.
[/quote]You must be thinking of a different Robert Chase to me!? The one I remember sold of the family jewels after our most succesfull season ever missing a real chance to establish ourselves at the highest level at a time when the money was starting to pour into the game. Yes the new owners have failed time and time again but lets not reinvent the past his lack of vision at the time was a disgrace and lost us our top flight status.

i seem to remember that at one point chase "employed" about 30 non football persons at a salary of £100,000 each. thats 3 million a year, then he refused o''neill £600,000 to buy dean windass causing him to quit.

[quote user="JF"][quote user="Cluckbert Chase"]Holt was brought in to do a job at Div.3 level and did it well. Martin showed his quality at that level too....This tier is a whole new ball game, although still a million miles apart from the Premiership.... a level where Lambert also needs alot more nous if we are to progress beyond ''average''.Perhaps maybe some of you can see the significance of being relegated to Div. 3 for the first time in 50 years and how difficult it will be to return to the now ''acceptable'' level we were at when Robert Chase was hounded out.This is Division Two..... and we''ve spent many years at this level already.  Where we are is now is less than ''acceptable'' and shouldn''t be confused with success.... the level at which Robert Chase was so cynically maligned as the villain he never was.[/quote]You must be thinking of a different Robert Chase to me!? The one I remember sold of the family jewels after our most succesfull season ever missing a real chance to establish ourselves at the highest level at a time when the money was starting to pour into the game. Yes the new owners have failed time and time again but lets not reinvent the past his lack of vision at the time was a disgrace and lost us our top flight status.[/quote]When it is you who had the foresight to buy the family jewels in the first place.... are you not entitled to cash them in when things get tight?Under Robert Chase we exceeded all expectations..... and the star struck fans simply lost the plot. Given time to turn the ship around he would have done so.... but then the ''saviour'' rode into town with a pack of lies and media spin to make sure she got her shop window.NCFC would give their right hand to have the club in the position it was when Chase was hounded out..... so don''t try to pull the wool over my eyes..... I was there and will always thank the great man for the wonderful years he  gave us.

Not really Holt is finding it harder at this level but is getting back to fitness. I thought he had a pretty good game and i am confident he will get us @ 15 league goals he has 2 from 8 at the moment. The midfield are very good but Hoolahan is not being given time on the ball like he was in league 1 and as a result is not scoring, crofts is the most likely and is joint top scorer with 2, lappin and smith are great but not natural scorers.

that brings us to Martin. He has a fantastic shot and his goal against Barnsley was great. he does lack pace and is knocked off the ball by better defenders in this league. I would be surprised if he reaches double figures of league goals and may be under pressure from Jackson soon.

Our defence is much tighter than in the past which means we perhaps do not need as many goals to get results

I am very worried that the front three are not scoring. Many of the crosses were met by Barnett, but where was Holt?

It may be the first game this season when we haven''t scored, but we are a low-scoring side this year and the late goals seem to be indicating that for all our approach work it is sheer attrition and tiredness on the part of opponents which is the main factor.

PL seems relaxed, and seems to feel that Holt will improve. I hope that he is right.

We shall have better service when Surman returns - he is surely one of our class players and creates chances. I''m afraid that Lappin was just not accurate enough on Saturday.

There seems to be no plan "B", and other sides will begin to see that for all our huffing we are essentially toothless up front.

We are averaging something like 1 goal for and 1 against per match. This is mid table mediocrity at best, even borderline relegation.

If Holt isn''t fit now...he never will be.......

Martin, isn''t a pacey striker, so why do you expect him to be? He is very very strong on the ball, much better than last season, and at the moment is ahead of Holt (yes Holt has scored more, but his overall performances have not been as good...)