Sign in to follow this  
......and Smith must score.

We're better than Ipswich......

Well, at least in the first half.This saddo stats fan spotted in one of the yesterday''s papers that only one of our 10 League goals this season has been scored in the first half ( the 1-1 draw at Forest ). Ipswich''s 11 goals have all come in the second half.What are the chances of that........?

There used to be a section in The Times called the Fink Tank where they used to do stats analysis of football matches.  They took a season of Premiership matches, and worked out that in the first 5 minutes you were least likely to score, and then you were more likely to score in each 5 minute period during the game after that, until the last 5 minutes, when a goal was most likely ( something like 4 times more likely than in the first 5 minutes).  I''d put it down to tired defensive legs I guess.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]There used to be a section in The Times called the Fink Tank where they used to do stats analysis of football matches.  They took a season of Premiership matches, and worked out that in the first 5 minutes you were least likely to score, and then you were more likely to score in each 5 minute period during the game after that, until the last 5 minutes, when a goal was most likely ( something like 4 times more likely than in the first 5 minutes).  I''d put it down to tired defensive legs I guess.[/quote]They still do BBB. It''s written by a boffin called Daniel Finkelstein and he also likes to work out the percentage chance for the result of each Premiership match. He does the same for the FA Cup, Champions League, etc, etc.Having placed hard cash at the bookies based on his findings I can confirm that the tried and trusty formula of a blindfold and pin works just as well.......