Sign in to follow this  
Morisons Prozac

Martin worry

I know this has been a hot topic lately but I feel that Chrissy just isn''t good enough at the minute. You look at our squad and how we play and no one can deny we are a strong team playing good football, but the strikers aren''t scoring. Denfensively (sp) we are boasting such players as Barnett, Ruddy and Martin etc. Our midfield is also full of quality players in Hoolahan, Crofts, Korey, Lappin, Fox, Macca and Surman but up front I feel we are just lacking. Fair enough Holt isn''t fit and Jackson & Oli haven''t been given a chance but what''s Chrissy''s excuse? 1 goal in 8 games is pretty poor and it''s not like he is making up for it in other aspects like Holt is. You can hit the woodwork as many times as you like with free kicks but they don''t mean anything. I think if we drop him for Jackson tuesday it could spark him back into last season''s form and give him a good kick in the back side. I understand he is never going to be everywhere like Holt but at least last year he had the skill and clinical finishing. Yesterday we might as well have played with 10 men. His only contribution was a a one on one with the keeper which Cureton would have scored.

Please don''t see this as an attack on Chrissy as I am just expressing my opinion and hope he gets better and proves me wrong.

it is my feeling that enough chances are not being created, and unfortunately that comes down to wes. wonderful plater with the ball at his feet, but nothing happening at the end of it at the moment. i''m sure he''ll come good, but it is a worry. against preston especially, they had more shots at goal than we did, despite our possession and positional advantage.

[quote user="Crofts Number 1 Fan"][quote user="Beauseant"]

I think we have a problem up front, but it''s not Chrissy.

[/quote]

Ooh what a twist. Are you insinuating Holt? [;)]

[/quote]

If I told you, I''d have to kill you!

But yes!

I agree with Beau!

Grant Holt is either not fit (tired excuse that has been used faar too many times) or he is not good enough.

Yes he runs about lots but come on, I could get fit enough to run about for 90 mins but you wouldnt want me upfront.

Being good in league 1 doesnt mean you''ll be good in the championship.

[quote user="Rupethebear"]We had 9 corners, if the delivery had been good enough Holt would have scored, nuff said!!![/quote]

And if my auntie had a cock she''d be my uncle.  Holt is off colour/form/ the planet * and people really need to stop making excuses for him.

* Delete as required

[quote user="Rupethebear"]We had 9 corners, if the delivery had been good enough Holt would have scored, nuff said!!![/quote]

I must say I am struggling with that suggestion Rupert I thought our delivery from corners created quite a few problems just not by Holt. Certainly the delivery in open play at times was exceptional ( balls fizzing at head height across the 6 yard box ) but again Holt was usually out on the wing. I like Holt and think he will score as many goals as any of our other recent cfs in the championship. Do I think he is good enough to blast us into the premiership no imo if that happens it will be more due to be tight at the back and winning games not very many to nil. From what I have seen in the last 3 games I think we are a far better team than I gave us credit for but we lack a Hulse / Howard / dare I say Scotland that would thrive on the type of delivery that we are producing. 

In my opinion both Holt and Martin have been a let down so far this season, for the most part.

I still don''t think it''s anything to be majorly worried about, although another striker (proven at this level) might be handy.

Holt hasn''t looked sharp at all and I''m happy to accept he might be 100% yet but surely he''ll be at the levels he needs to be within the next couple of weeks. And I do think there were signs of improvement yesterday, there were glimpses of his determined running with the ball that we saw last season. He knocked a couple of good passes around as well. Plus he had enough energy left to chase back at the end of the game when it was all but over.

As for Martin... sometimes I think with him that you just have to accept he isn''t always going to mix it up in the game but when the ball does come to him he will give you a bit of quality. If you look at the Swansea and Barnsley games he did very little through most of the game but managed to get involved for 2nd goal against Swansea and obviously scored the goal against Barnsley. But then if you look at yesterdays game he did very little all through the match and then when the chance did fall to him he couldn''t take it. At the moment, for me, he''s letting defenders have it a bit too easy, he''s not giving them enough to worry about. I''d like to see him get stuck in a bit more just so that he can get on the ball more - I''d like to see him make things happen for himself. I still think if he had have got himself involved a bit more against Hull then he would have been in better shape to finish that chance but he hadn''t got himself involved in the game and his poor showing was obviously already playing on his mind.

So, after all that, I think over the next couple of games the 2 of them really need to sharpen themselves up a bit as they''re letting the rest of the team down a bit.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

And if my auntie had a cock she''d be my uncle.  Holt is off colour/form/ the planet * and people really need to stop making excuses for him.

* Delete as required

[/quote]Agreed. Just because he''s scored 2 important winners this season doesn''t mean he''s exempt from criticism. I have been to every match this season, except the Hull game, and i don''t think you can say Holt has played well in any of them. He doesn''t win enough in the air, drifts all over the place, in places we don''t want him.

Is Holt actually a ''target man'' he doesn''t seem to want to win headers, he just shoves, and occasionally jumps to get in the way...Chris Martin seems better in the air...so did Jackson in one of the friendlies...

[quote user="Crofts Number 1 Fan"]

I know this has been a hot topic lately but I feel that Chrissy just isn''t good enough at the minute. You look at our squad and how we play and no one can deny we are a strong team playing good football, but the strikers aren''t scoring. Denfensively (sp) we are boasting such players as Barnett, Ruddy and Martin etc. Our midfield is also full of quality players in Hoolahan, Crofts, Korey, Lappin, Fox, Macca and Surman but up front I feel we are just lacking. Fair enough Holt isn''t fit and Jackson & Oli haven''t been given a chance but what''s Chrissy''s excuse? 1 goal in 8 games is pretty poor and it''s not like he is making up for it in other aspects like Holt is. You can hit the woodwork as many times as you like with free kicks but they don''t mean anything. I think if we drop him for Jackson tuesday it could spark him back into last season''s form and give him a good kick in the back side. I understand he is never going to be everywhere like Holt but at least last year he had the skill and clinical finishing. Yesterday we might as well have played with 10 men. His only contribution was a a one on one with the keeper which Cureton would have scored.

Please don''t see this as an attack on Chrissy as I am just expressing my opinion and hope he gets better and proves me wrong.

[/quote]The problem (if you want tofind one... which most of you do) is Holt not Martin. I haven''t messaged for a while but some of the stuff on here about Martin is b/s. Any coach will tell you that for two centre forwards to work well they need to play off each other/near each other. Holt has been all over the pitch and not keeping position. By doing that, any knock down he gets goes to no one... when we have the ball in an attacking position he isn''t in the box. This then puts pressure on the whole team and makes us drop deep. All this rubbish (and it is rubbish btw) about freekicks, We went for about 6 seasons without scoring a freekick - now we have someone who has scored quite a few from deadball and a lot of you want him off the ball... Yes Fox and Surman are great options on that front...but if they''re not on the pitch it makes that option void.  On to the Cureton point... So he have scored that one on one? are you sure? That again is VERY questionable.  Have faith in Martin... 1 in eight... it''s 3 in 9 in all apps... every striker misses a sitter or a one on one... he''s young and will go through spells with no goals... equally he''ll go through a rich spell as well... ( He''ll still be called lazy thoguh by people on here...) Holt is 2 in 8 in the league and he was our top league scorer last season... If you boys want someone to blame (you clearly need someone as per usual) i''d look at Holt''s stat... it''s a lot more of a concern... as is his overall performance. You lot need to realise... we are going to lose some games of football that we should have won... that''s life. The way we are set up, we are often going to batter teams... more often than not we''ll win... but sometimes you get a day where nothing goes in and the other team nick it. Saturday was one of those days so suck it up and do something crazy... Back the team.

Holt reminds me of Wayne Rooney at the moment.

Wait for it, wait for it...

Both of them struggling for form and fitness. Both of them putting 100% into their game and chasing all over the pitch, appearing in every position, putting in crosses, helping out at the back, running at defenders and doing lots of running and chasing off the ball-so determined are both to be involved with the game, be part of the game, and make an influence on the game...

But both are, as a result, missing out on the part of the pitch, and the part of the game where they are most effective, in and around the penalty area, making chances and taking them.

I''m sure Holt will come good. It seems almost as if he is desperate to show everyone and anyone that he IS good enough at this level and he is putting in so much extra effort to prove it, and also show he is more than just a goalscorer, that he has more to his game.

As for Martin, well, he is, can be, will be, a far more creative player in time, and certainly not a goal poacher, period. He has a spot of the Teddy Sheringham about him in the way he plays, makes space and his runs-a major asset to his game.

Hucks has said on here and in his match report that we are lacking a "spark", well, I thought the spark outlet is Wes? Is his game suffering? Is he struggling to make such an impact? Are we missing the input he had, particularly for the front two, and, in terms of goals scored, himself as well??

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]I think that''s a pretty good summary GJP.
[/quote]

That''s how I roll.

I think Jackson deserves a go, we did pay almost 1 Million for him afterall......

I do agree with you but Martin just always has that ability to score even when he is having a poor game like against Barnsley? The one on one chance i thought the keeper done outstanding even though Chrissy should have probably done better. When Jackson came on i can''t say i saw him do anything really, i think the supply to the front two needs to be better because we aren''t having clear cut chances that the front two can put away.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]Holt reminds me of Wayne Rooney at the moment. Wait for it, wait for it... Both of them struggling for form and fitness. Both of them putting 100% into their game and chasing all over the pitch, appearing in every position, putting in crosses, helping out at the back, running at defenders and doing lots of running and chasing off the ball-so determined are both to be involved with the game, be part of the game, and make an influence on the game... But both are, as a result, missing out on the part of the pitch, and the part of the game where they are most effective, in and around the penalty area, making chances and taking them. I''m sure Holt will come good. It seems almost as if he is desperate to show everyone and anyone that he IS good enough at this level and he is putting in so much extra effort to prove it, and also show he is more than just a goalscorer, that he has more to his game. As for Martin, well, he is, can be, will be, a far more creative player in time, and certainly not a goal poacher, period. He has a spot of the Teddy Sheringham about him in the way he plays, makes space and his runs-a major asset to his game. Hucks has said on here and in his match report that we are lacking a "spark", well, I thought the spark outlet is Wes? Is his game suffering? Is he struggling to make such an impact? Are we missing the input he had, particularly for the front two, and, in terms of goals scored, himself as well??[/quote]

I agree with this - ''cept I see no way back for Rooney.  Come on the Horse, get it together!  Nice easy game tomorrow - shooting fish in a barrell time!

[quote user="Crofts Number 1 Fan"]

[/quote]

2 golas in 8 is also pretty poor but to most people on here that one goal seems to make him miles better than Martin.  And how exactly is he making up for it?  You can''t say work ethic because in my opinion he has not been putting in enough effort.  Chris martin gets moaned at for being lazy when he isn''t and when Holt isn''t putting in enough effort it no one seems to care.  Also lots of people have been saying that he isn''t fully fit.  He has had plenty of games to get fit and it is becoming a silly little excuse which can''t really be used any more.