Sign in to follow this  
Lewie - Holt Our Saviour

This team vs relegated

GKMarshall vs RuddyDEF:Bertrand vs DruryShackell vs BarnettDoherty vs WardSemmi vs R.MartinMID:Russell vs CroftsCroft vs SmithClingan vs SurmanPattison vs HoolahanST:Gow vs C.MartinMooney/Cort/Lee vs HoltBench:Rudd vs RuddFotheringham vs FoxAskou vs LeijerJackson vs KillenCarney vs LappinIs it me, or is this team far superior than our relegation team in every single way?Thoughts on any players you would swap?

Relegation players in blueRuddyDruryShackellWardR.MartinCroftsSmithClinganHoolahanC.MartinHoltLooking at our relegation team i didnt think it was too bad at the time but looking at it now we lacked some serious quality especially upfront and its not suprising we went down with 2 crap managers as well!

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Would have to have Pattison, and Carl Cort, maybe Leijer, probably Killen as well...and Otsemobor :P[/quote]Cort wasn''t acutally that bad a player when he was fit for us. Pattison I can''t remember much about. But semmi was awesome how can you diss?

Everything is so superior, top six season or not.

Those dark days of awfulness, topped by the hapless Gunn are a thing of the past now.

If we achieve nothing else this season, it will be to avoid relegation by a mile.

A FACTUAL STATEMENT none could make from the day Grant was appointed to the day Gunn was sacked.

Weren''t we awful?  It was also very expensive and administration threatening, one way or another. Bad signings, loans, pay-offs, lower gates and Division One income.

I think Shackell, Gow, Clingan & Lee would be the only players I would consider taking back.Lee as a back up to Holt, Shackell would give Ward some comp. I generally thought Gow was a quality skillful player when upfront, so he could give Martin something to think about and Clingan would confine Korey to the bench with Crofts going in at RM.

And to complete the depression:

[img]http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45948000/jpg/_45948360_peter_grant_512.jpg[/img][img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39124000/jpg/_39124415_smiles_gi300x245.jpg[/img][img]http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01242/BryanGunn_1242776c.jpg[/img]

Drury was there during the relegation season - its a position where there is no change to be honest - happily take betrand on or keep drury.

Lita is the only player who is better.

So we''re happy now that Ruddy is better than David Marshall? What a difference a penalty save makes...

Personally I haven''t seen enough of Ruddy to judge yet. But Marshall is good enough for last year''s beaten play-off finalists and the current team in second. I think he''d be our number one if he were still here.

Bertrand would be great in the diamond, and no one loves Drury more than me.

Midfield is our strongest area now, and it''s a measure of how far we have come that no one is desperate to pick Clingan.

Think Lita would get in the team...

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

The other significant comparision being overlooked here is,

Lambert vs Roeder/Gunn

Who could quantify how much of a difference that makes !!?!

[/quote]

Me. Masses.

This squad and manager have proved nothing yet......Forget the stroll in Division 3 and be concerned about two defeats in the last three games.

I actually think Marshall would be better for us now...because Ruddy is too young really, considering we are mean''t to have two brilliant young keepers in Rudd and Steer...

Ruddy is a poor goalkeeper. He reminds me of Andy Marshall. One outstanding save and then three awful mistakes. He gives his back four no confidence when he comes and spills a cross or a tame effort on goal.

David Marshall for me is a better keeper. And would rather have him in our goal. Much safer option.

And Ryan Bertrand as well I would take - offers more of a threat than Drury when going forward.

The rest are not missed.

[img]http://www.fansfc.com/UploadedImages/Players/Lee%20Croft_633584540374062500.jpg[/img]

The man who put City fans off pacy wingers for life.

I''d completely forgotten Leijer even existed! And there was Troy Archibald-Henville and OJ Koroma!

I think Marshall is a better goalkeeper than Ruddy, although there''s not a fantastic difference in it. I also believe Drury kept Bertrand out of the side for long spells anyway; Drury injured himself for a few months which allowed Bertrand more of a run in the team. Stephen Smith may yet prove to be better than both of them anyway.

If we''re including loan players, I''d have Lita from that lot as well as the ubiquitous Klingon and Marshall.

I think others have already made this point but a big difference has to be the management and board too. Did players really ever want to play for Grant, Roeder and Gunn? Was there ever a winning mentality there?