Sign in to follow this  
Matt Juler

London - Norwich train ticket for Leicester match available

I''ve got one spare adult train ticket available at £16 return for the match tomorrow.  It''s on the 15:00 from Liverpool St., back on the 22:00 from Norwich.  If interested, please reply to this thread.ThanksMattCapital Canaries

Sorry Matt, I am not interested in the ticket as such.

Just wondering how you got tickets so damn cheap? Railcard or something?

Just because I wanted to get the train to Palace and maybe Watford, but it seems to be a fair bit. [:(]

Thanks for any help, and I good luck in your search for a buyer!

I was looking at the train for QPR and the cheapest I could find was to book 2 singles in advance at £14 each way = £28, has anyone found a cheaper way to do it please?

[quote user="Brendo "]

Just because I wanted to get the train to Palace and maybe Watford, but it seems to be a fair bit. [:(]

[/quote]

I''m a season ticket holder but at uni in Nottigham, I just make sure I book my tickets as far in advance as possible; I have all my train tickets booked up to christmas at them moment, which has only cost me £62 to get from Nottingham to Norwich and back for every home game :)

[quote user="Brendo "]

[/quote]

If you go to the National Express website and book a couple of days in advance (depending upon what time of day you are wanting to go) you can usually get 8 or 10 quid each way. 

[quote user="macdougalls perm"][quote user="Brendo "]

[/quote]

If you go to the National Express website and book a couple of days in advance (depending upon what time of day you are wanting to go) you can usually get 8 or 10 quid each way. 

[/quote]

Thats where I looked and the 10am is £20 single trip 10.30am onwards is £14 each way and the return fare comes up at over £43.40, unless I''m having a blonde moment ??

[quote user="canary_girl"][quote user="Brendo "]

Just wondering how you got tickets so damn cheap? Railcard or something?Just because I wanted to get the train to Palace and maybe Watford, but it seems to be a fair bit. [:(]

[/quote]

I''m a season ticket holder but at uni in Nottigham, I just make sure I book my tickets as far in advance as possible; I have all my train tickets booked up to christmas at them moment, which has only cost me £62 to get from Nottingham to Norwich and back for every home game :)

[/quote]

You may be aware of this already, but if you''re in Nottingham have a look at megatrain.com - if you book early enough you can get singles to/from Norwich for £1, all completely legit, it''s the standard East Midlands Trains service. I used it all the time when I was at university in Sheffield as they do tickets to there too and it saved me huge amounts of money.

[quote user="s10_yellow"][quote user="canary_girl"][quote user="Brendo "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You may be aware of this already, but if you''re in Nottingham have a look at megatrain.com - if you book early enough you can get singles to/from Norwich for £1, all completely legit, it''s the standard East Midlands Trains service. I used it all the time when I was at university in Sheffield as they do tickets to there too and it saved me huge amounts of money.

[/quote]

Hey, yeah thanks..I used this a lot last year too, but just lately on a Friday afternoon (when I make the trip home to Norwich) they have scrapped their tickets only offering tickets frist thing in the morning; I sometimes use thier Monday morning tickets though, very good value for money!

[quote user="canary_girl"][quote user="s10_yellow"][quote user="canary_girl"][quote user="Brendo "]

Just wondering how you got tickets so damn cheap? Railcard or something?Just because I wanted to get the train to Palace and maybe Watford, but it seems to be a fair bit. [:(]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hey, yeah thanks..I used this a lot last year too, but just lately on a Friday afternoon (when I make the trip home to Norwich) they have scrapped their tickets only offering tickets frist thing in the morning; I sometimes use thier Monday morning tickets though, very good value for money!

[/quote]Didn''t know that, that''s a shame. Still worth it though if you can be flexible with times. I used to come down from Sheffield at ungodly hours on Saturday mornings - always fun having been out the night before to get up at 6.30am and walk two miles to the station. Sometimes there were even fellow mad canaries on the platform with me!

Ticket sold!As for getting the good prices, it''s all down to the timing.The advance purchase tickets normally go on sale about 12 weeks before the date of travel.  For each train there is a quota of tickets at each price point, the cheapest being £8 singles standard class, and £12 singles first class.  I''m not 100% sure on the steps, but I believe it goes up to £14 next, then £38.The other option is to look into GroupSave tickets.  Four adults can travel for the price of two, plus up to 4 kids can travel for just £1 return.  A GroupSave4 return from Norwich to London costs £82.80 (or £93.20 with tube), so works out fairly good value when split amongst a group of 4 travelling (and even better value if you have some extra kids in your group too!).As for Saturday home trips, nothing can beat the great value Capital Canaries fare of just £13 return, and that even includes a donation to FONCY!

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="macdougalls perm"][quote user="Brendo "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thats where I looked and the 10am is £20 single trip 10.30am onwards is £14 each way and the return fare comes up at over £43.40, unless I''m having a blonde moment ??

[/quote]

No, actually you''re probably right on a Saturday at this time, sorry. I suppose that the times that people are goin to be travelling to footy matches will be considered peak times.

It’s all down demand and supply. NXEA will have a certain number of advance tickets of each type for each train, but the number will vary depending on the train.

For example on the rush hour 17:00 from Liverpool Street to Norwich there may well be some super-cheap advance tickets priced at £8 or £10, but probably no more than half a dozen and the next price category maybe only another half a dozen. Most of the advance tickets will be more expensive, maybe £24 as the trains will be very full. As my old boss said when it’s a hot day the price of ice creams doesn’t go down.

The ticket pricing structure will be different on weekend trains.

On the trains on the 16th October, I expect that the usual number of cheap priced advance tickets will be available on each train, maybe  50 or so at £8 then another 50 at £16, and then the next 50 at £20 each. Of course as most City fans want to travel out on the 9.30am or 10.00am trains these will soon go and the price will go up. It will be similar on the return trains with most opting for maybe the 6pm or 6.30pm trains.

I expect the majority of the cheapest advance tickets have already been sold for 16th October and if NXEA were clever or sneaky or bothered, they may have even reduced the number of the cheapest tickets on the trains due to the football fixtures. This does happen on some lines, for example Group Save deals are not allowed on trains into Cardiff when there is rugby international.

The advice is easy – get organised and book early. (Or do a Group Save - just seen Matt''s post)

One word of warning about advance tickets though is that they are normally non-refundable, hence the original post on this thread, tickets for sale. And another warning – the sale of advance tickets normally stops around 5.30pm the day before travel and if purchased after the cut-off revert to the full on the day price of £40+.

The Capital Canaries get such a good deal because (a) We normally travel on non-peak trains that are not crowded and (b) We are good customers of NXEA and put 45/50 on a quiet Saturday train. Our custom is worth quite a few quid to NXEA so they look after us.

Cheers

Tim

www.capitalcanaries.co.uk

[quote user="cityangel"] 

[/quote]On the 16th October for the QPR game the prices are currently...£8 - All trains up to and including the 06:00 from Norwich!£10 - 07:00 and 12:00 from Norwich£14 - 10:30, 11:00 and 11:30 from Norwich£20 - 08:00, 08:30, 09:00, 09:30 and 10:00 from NorwichFor the return...£14 - All trains up to and including the 21:30 from London£10 - 22:30 from London£8 - 22:30 from LondonSo realistically, it''s currently £28 return best price on advance purchase singles.

Thanks for that Matt thats the prices I found so wasn''t going mad after all, so guess its £28 plus tube against £20 for the coach.