Sign in to follow this  
CanaryJames

Michael Mifsud?

It''s widely thought that we need an extra striker, preferably with Championship experience, whose main forte is sticking the bal in the back of the net.

So what about Michael Mifsud? He''s a free agent, and shone at this level for Coventry before he was forced to play on the wing.

Since leaving them, he scored 13 times in 8 games for Valleta. He opted to leave them at the end of the 2009/2010 season.

Any thoughts? Could be worth the gamble? Personally I''d consider giving him a 6-12 month contract to prove his worth. Still only 29, and could be a coup...

I wouldn''t sign him on two counts. Firstly I don''t think he is good enough to score goals regularly in the championship. In my opinion he is too small and lightweight. Plus he hasnt played at a high level for about 18 months now so it would take time for him to get up to speed again. I also don''t know what message signing him would send to Simeon Jackson who we have spent around £600k on. He has surely got to get his chance before we look at alternatives.

Its still early days but I agree the lack of goals at the moment is concerning. Considering our whole style of play is based around him, the fact Wes hasn''t scored yet in 8 games is pretty dissapointing. And perhaps more worrying is the fact that if you project Holt and Martin''s current scoring rate into a whole season Holt would end up with around 11/12 goals acceptable and Martin 5/6 goals.

[quote user="Jacko"]

I wouldn''t sign him on two counts. Firstly I don''t think he is good enough to score goals regularly in the championship. In my opinion he is too small and lightweight. Plus he hasnt played at a high level for about 18 months now so it would take time for him to get up to speed again. I also don''t know what message signing him would send to Simeon Jackson who we have spent around £600k on. He has surely got to get his chance before we look at alternatives.

Its still early days but I agree the lack of goals at the moment is concerning. Considering our whole style of play is based around him, the fact Wes hasn''t scored yet in 8 games is pretty dissapointing. And perhaps more worrying is the fact that if you project Holt and Martin''s current scoring rate into a whole season Holt would end up with around 11/12 goals acceptable and Martin 5/6 goals.

[/quote]Very good post.A fully fit Holt will pose more danger to the oppo defences.  It''s nearly October so we''re almost there.

[quote user="CanaryJames"]It''s widely thought that we need an extra striker, preferably with Championship experience, whose main forte is sticking the bal in the back of the net. So what about Michael Mifsud? He''s a free agent, and shone at this level for Coventry before he was forced to play on the wing. Since leaving them, he scored 13 times in 8 games for Valleta. He opted to leave them at the end of the 2009/2010 season. Any thoughts? Could be worth the gamble? Personally I''d consider giving him a 6-12 month contract to prove his worth. Still only 29, and could be a coup...[/quote]

Being Maltese i would love him to come, but thats more sentiment than his actual ability.

I wouldnt take much notice of his record with Valletta as its the same standard as League 2. 

[quote user="Mr. Chops"][quote user="Jacko"]

[/quote]

Very good post.

A fully fit Holt will pose more danger to the oppo defences.  It''s nearly October so we''re almost there.

[/quote]

I think you''ve hit the nail on the head their Chops. He still looks like he is getting over his injury so his performances will only improve. To be honest if Holt ended up with around 10-15 league goals that would be a fantastic return given his all round contribution to the team.