Sign in to follow this  
Delia Out!

Russell Martin

I''m so pleased that he has been able to make the step up to the Championship. I didn''t think that he would have been able to do it, but he proved me and so many others wrong and along with Crofts has been one of our best players this season.

I do still think that we are a bit short at right back after Lambert sold Spillane, but we are probably alright for now.

Any other thoughts?

I have been a Russel Martin slater but he has impressed me so far this season.  He seems to have improved a lot defensively and when he goes forward and links up with Korey Smith he is brilliant.

Keep up the good work Russel[Y]

I''ve always rated him, but he''s been subject to some ridiculous criticism. He''s solid, which is want you want from a defender, has good pace and is always looking to get the ball. He also reads the game really well, as evidenced by his brilliant saving tackle near the penalty spot late on in Saturday''s game.

I agree 100%... [Y]I was unsure if Russell Martin was going to cut it at this level, but he has put in consistently good performances that have improved with each week.He was solid away at Preston last week and at Scunthorpe.  I reckon he has aquitted himself reasonably well in most of our home games (watford the possible exception).  He defends first and foremost, but has also started to link up well with Korey Smith as young Korey has got himself back to near full fitness in recent weeks.Of course he is one of the crowds favourite whipping boys though - so it''s quite alright if you criticise him and shout nasty things at him - just as long as you don''t do the same to some people who can''t stand an opposing point of view without resorting to uneededed threats on their fellow fans.Now I have praised him up, I am sure that it is probably time for him to have a shocker, or make an awful blunder tonight?  Giving all of his critics the opportunity to point the finger and tell us how wrong I am/we are???

I agree. I think he was awful for a few games last season and I was far from convinced by him but I have to hold my hands up and admit that so far he has done nothing wrong and has not looked out of place this season. Early days of course and he will need to keep it up but credit to him so far.

[quote user="Smudger"]I agree 100%... [Y]

I was unsure if Russell Martin was going to cut it at this level, but he has put in consistently good performances that have improved with each week.

He was solid away at Preston last week and at Scunthorpe.  I reckon he has aquitted himself reasonably well in most of our home games (watford the possible exception).  He defends first and foremost, but has also started to link up well with Korey Smith as young Korey has got himself back to near full fitness in recent weeks.

Of course he is one of the crowds favourite whipping boys though - so it''s quite alright if you criticise him and shout nasty things at him - just as long as you don''t do the same to some people who can''t stand an opposing point of view without resorting to uneededed threats on their fellow fans.

Now I have praised him up, I am sure that it is probably time for him to have a shocker, or make an awful blunder tonight?  Giving all of his critics the opportunity to point the finger and tell us how wrong I am/we are???
[/quote]

Gosh, you are sore aren''t you!

No....Thats why i said if Smudger likes him he must be good.....Because it seems like he critizises players, more than he praises them....

He''s a good player and is proving himself. To say he''s a Legend or he''s a Great is a bit too far though. It take longer then a season to get to those levels in my eyes.

Davo