Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

'Playing well'

I seem to remember that we ''played well'' and lost rather too often under Grant, Roeder, Gunn and Worthington - in his latter days.

Let''s hope Paul Lambert''s diagnosis is correct.

We need to play well and win against Leicester tomorrow otherwise some amount of squad rotation should follow against Bristol City to ensure that the ''first teamers'' are kept on their toes.

If I was Lambert I would give a couple of this seasons well-performing youngsters a chance like he did in the early part of last season - win or lose tomorrow. Nothing like a little encouragement to the youngsters accompanied by some ''looking over the shoulder by the ''first team fixtures'' to gee up the camp!!!! It''s very important for everybody to think that they''re really involved.

Well, that''s the way I see it.

[:)]

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]I seem to remember that we ''played well'' and lost rather too often under Grant, Roeder, Gunn and Worthington - in his latter days.[/quote]You "remember" wrong Bly. We were crap!

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

I seem to remember that we ''played well'' and lost rather too often under Grant, Roeder, Gunn and Worthington - in his latter days.

Let''s hope Paul Lambert''s diagnosis is correct.

We need to play well and win against Leicester tomorrow otherwise some amount of squad rotation should follow against Bristol City to ensure that the ''first teamers'' are kept on their toes.

If I was Lambert I would give a couple of this seasons well-performing youngsters a chance like he did in the early part of last season - win or lose tomorrow. Nothing like a little encouragement to the youngsters accompanied by some ''looking over the shoulder by the ''first team fixtures'' to gee up the camp!!!! It''s very important for everybody to think that they''re really involved.

Well, that''s the way I see it.

OTBC

[/quote]

What an uncharacteristically sensible post Bly [;)] Just joking, I agree with you re the youth - never hurts for people to realise they have to work to keep their place.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]I seem to remember that we ''played well'' and lost rather too often under Grant, Roeder, Gunn and Worthington - in his latter days.[/quote]You "remember" wrong Bly. We were crap![/quote]

Shhh.....

Don''t let nutty hear you saying that.

OTBC

Don''t disagree with the theory in general, Bly, but on this occasion, I think it''s wrong. The XI who played against Hull bossed the game and would have won it 9 times out of ten. Lambert should and I am sure will keep his nerve and pick the same XI because it is currently our best team of the players we have available.

This is in contrast to the defeat against Watford, where it was apparent that Lambert had picked the wrong side: too many lightweight midfielders.

Surely the skill in management is to reflect on the performance and do anything you can to improve it. The adage ''never change a winning side'' is rubbish: so is the reverse: making changes just because you lost.

Same team tomorrow, PL.

OTBC

It wasn''t a case of the 11 players out on the pitch becoming complacent though, they totally bossed the game and as mentioned above would have won that game 90% of the time. The side out there was the best available and most likely to do the job, whilst that is the case stick with it.Surely 1 defeat and in a game where we dominated doesn''t demand change.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]It wasn''t a case of the 11 players out on the pitch becoming complacent though, they totally bossed the game and as mentioned above would have won that game 90% of the time. The side out there was the best available and most likely to do the job, whilst that is the case stick with it.

Surely 1 defeat and in a game where we dominated doesn''t demand change.
[/quote]

I didn''t say that Trent. What I wrote was:

If I was Lambert I would give a couple of this seasons well-performing youngsters a chance like he did in the early part of last season - win or lose tomorrow.

OTBC

I think that what I am also trying to get at is that we need a squad to achieve top 6 in the Championship not just a ''first eleven'' plus some reserves and youngsters to make up the numbers.

This means a significant degree of rotation - even if we don''t always put out our ''best team''.

It''s not easy I agree, but in my view necessary.

Amen.

OTBC

I''m well aware that many posters would be all to happy to disagree with Bly out of principle, but this is actually a sensible post in truth, and conveys a concern i also share. "Walking it into the net" was a descriptive term used by Goreham on Saturday, and the last time i remember him using such a phrase was on the opening day to our relegation season against Coventry. The honest truth of the matter is that we rarely played that poorly under Roeder (shock horror). You only need look at examples like these to gauge the proper impression of the darkest days under his stewardship, as much as our hate for the distasteful fellow will cloud our judgements by a considerable amount:http://www.canaries.co.uk/page/MatchReport/0,,10355~43657,00.htmlhttp://www.canaries.co.uk/page/MatchReport/0,,10355~43891,00.htmlhttp://www.canaries.co.uk/page/MatchReport/0,,10355~44650,00.htmlhttp://www.canaries.co.uk/page/MatchReport/0,,10355~44350,00.htmlhttp://www.canaries.co.uk/page/MatchReport/0,,10355~43579,00.htmlhttp://www.canaries.co.uk/page/MatchReport/0,,10355~43630,00.htmlThese were attained by a mere brief skim of match articles, guided by an average memory in it''s recollection, and i''m sure there were many many more relative examples in the build up to our eventual relegation.Converting our superiority into goals is of the kind of vitality that can''t be understated at this level. I''d argue that if we hope to achieve our aims this season we can only facilitate another 2 or 3 performances of same ilk as the one we displayed against Hull, as impressive as it may of been.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]This means a significant degree of rotation - even if we don''t always put out our ''best team''.[/quote]If we had have rotated the squad in 58/59 as you recommend, you would be using a bigger signature now. [;)]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

This means a significant degree of rotation - even if we don''t always put out our ''best team''.[/quote]If we had have rotated the squad in 58/59 as you recommend, you would be using a bigger signature now. [;)][/quote]

We don''t often see the pluperfect tense these days. Nice.

At least that''s what I think it is[:$].

And of course in ''58/59 we only had a 12th man (Bobby Williamson was it?) and no subs, so there weren''t no squad to speak of to enlarge my signature were there now bor? Just the ''first team'' and assorted reserves and yutes.

OTBC

IMO if we do splutter in front of goal tomorrow.  I think PL should shuffle the forwards purely because that''s what the other forwards are here for.  Push for a place and keep Holt & Martin on their toes.Having said that I think we will get 2 or 3 goals tomorrow.

So if tomorrow we put in a performance like saturday or like say Leeds away last season, dominate but are undone by one mistake or one bit of misfortune, you are saying we need to drop some players saying yeh you have played really well, shouldnt have lost but hey ive got to do something, losing 2 games is unacceptable?Unlike a lot on here i didnt really see a real weak link on saturday. The defence dealt with anything Hull had to throw at them except a freak deflection, the full backs got forward well and im pleased to see the R.Martin bashing was kept to a relative minimum this time round. Crofts was solid, Lappin and Smith worked hard and linked well with Martin/Drury and Hoolahan really looked like his old self in the 2nd half though was given way too much space and time. Holt and Martin had little to work with and if pushed Holt was the only concern imo as he wasnt in the right place at the right time. Again unlike a lot on here im impressed with C.Martins form so far this season, knows where to be, has a great first touch and technique and really looks like hes pushing himself on and learning. Holt i would still give the benefit of the doubt to as Lambert has said he is playing catch up, and more importantly we all know what hes capable of doing so to say he should be dropped is an exaggeration.I suppose my point is i think to say if we play poorly or lose any game in the future there should be changes is too simplistic. Changes come from poor performance due to individuals or collectively as a team. After Saturday i dont think anyone should be dropped and i certainly dont think changing the formation (which would have to happen if there were many individual changes) is warranted either. If we play poorly and/or lose tomorrow i still think we should and Lambert will stick with the diamond and the same team for Bristol City. We played well and lost on sat, it happens. If worse comes to worse and we''re awful tomorrow a knee jerk reaction to change everything after one game would be wrong.We''re 6th, wouldve been top 4 if not for an unfair result that happens in football. Im thoroughly enjoying every minute of the season so far and couldnt argue with much that Lambert has done.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

This means a significant degree of rotation - even if we don''t always put out our ''best team''.[/quote]If we had have rotated the squad in 58/59 as you recommend, you would be using a bigger signature now. [;)][/quote]

We don''t often see the pluperfect tense these days. Nice.

At least that''s what I think it is[:$].

And of course in ''58/59 we only had a 12th man (Bobby Williamson was it?) and no subs, so there weren''t no squad to speak of to enlarge my signature were there now bor? Just the ''first team'' and assorted reserves and yutes.

OTBC

[/quote]

No squad to speak of and yet we used 21 players during the season of which 17 played 10 games or more.

They won''t all fit on Bly''s sig mind......

There is room but you can''t google the names..

Who was this Bobby Williamson anyway...

[quote user="John"]I''m well aware that many posters would be all to happy to disagree with Bly out of principle, but this is actually a sensible post in truth, and conveys a concern i also share.

"Walking it into the net" was a descriptive term used by Goreham on Saturday, and the last time i remember him using such a phrase was on the opening day to our relegation season against Coventry.

The honest truth of the matter is that we rarely played that poorly under Roeder (shock horror). You only need look at examples like these to gauge the proper impression of the darkest days under his stewardship, as much as our hate for the distasteful fellow will cloud our judgements by a considerable amount:

http://www.canaries.co.uk/page/MatchReport/0,,10355~43657,00.html

http://www.canaries.co.uk/page/MatchReport/0,,10355~43891,00.html

http://www.canaries.co.uk/page/MatchReport/0,,10355~44650,00.html

http://www.canaries.co.uk/page/MatchReport/0,,10355~44350,00.html

http://www.canaries.co.uk/page/MatchReport/0,,10355~43579,00.html

http://www.canaries.co.uk/page/MatchReport/0,,10355~43630,00.html

These were attained by a mere brief skim of match articles, guided by an average memory in it''s recollection, and i''m sure there were many many more relative examples in the build up to our eventual relegation.

Converting our superiority into goals is of the kind of vitality that can''t be understated at this level. I''d argue that if we hope to achieve our aims this season we can only facilitate another 2 or 3 performances of same ilk as the one we displayed against Hull, as impressive as it may of been.
[/quote]

We did quite often play well under Roeder it''s true. And that first game of the season at Coventry we played better than at anytime this season. But while we often played well we rarely played as a team. And now we play as a team we win more. It''s more to do with how you play when the opposition have the ball.

John, your links probably point to more reasons not to rotate the team. I wouldn''t mind betting in those links we played about half a dozen different central defenders. Each of them probably played well at times but none of them played in a team.

Can''t really see the point of rotating the team,just on the back of one bad result. Also,isn''t the fact that these days we''re allowed seven subs on the bench ample enough opportunity to do some rotating during the game ,if things aren''t going too well?

That said,I do see a bit of a pattern developing this season...ie playing well,totally dominating games,but not putting the chances away to reflect our superiority. We got away with it v people like Swansea,Barnsley and Preston. We nearly came unstuck at Forest, despite being much the better team,but our luck ran out v Hull. The GD column does not lie. It''s neutral,and the way to stop that is quite simply to take more chances after dominating midfield and creating them,as we''re bound to let the odd goal in now and again. How to do that ? Well difficult to be precise. Change the formation ? Not sure,but a good start is for the strikers to be a lot more clinical in and around the 6 yd box.

We''ll pay a heavy price this season if we don''t start converting a much higher percentage of  the chances created.

I''m not so sure about those examples John.  I thought we were very poor in the home games against QPR, Palace and Forest, although I was at that Coventry game and we played very very well that day.  We did have several matches where we played well, but conceded a goal and then fell to bits - that was almost a hallmark of our last couple of seasons in the Championship.  This is a habit we have by and large seemed to get out of and hopefully we won''t see too many repeats of Saturday''s outcome.