Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Wazzy's Ref Watch

Tonight we welcomed Peter Walton, a Premiership Ref, would we get a Premiership performance?

It was a game that had everything tonight, and for the most part Mr Walton had it all under control. He didn''t fall for some of the diving about (Waghorn?). I agreed with all of the cards except one, the yellow for Adam Drury it looked very harsh as all the previous fouls had an element of the cynical about them, Drury''s was just mistimed. It was obvious he was going to book Chris Martin late on and full marks for letting play flow and waiting until the ball was dead before waving the card.

It was nice to see a Ref who allowed some good old fashioned shoulder to shoulder challenges, although the Leicester players who went flying didn''t seem to appreciate it.

The only downside came from one of his assistants who failed to notice that Chris Martin had been played on by one of their players before flagging him for offside, perhaps Mr Walton who was close to play should have realised this and allowed the game to continue. All in all a very relaxed but good performance. I could settle for that most weeks.

The one point that stood out for me tonight was the position where some of the throw ins were taken from. I was under the impression that the assistants should allow a couple of yards and ''shepherd'' the players into position but tonight some of the throws were a long way away from where they should have been.

Peter Walton 8 Good

Could not agree at all I thought overall he was poor.He seemed way to quick to get the book out and the Leicester players knew this and played the pushand dive trick way too often.In the second half  Hoolahan had his shirt pulled off as he set off goalwards with not much cover and he just gave freekick and leading up to Drurys goal same thing happenedand unlike the incident you mentioned he did not wave a yellow after goal . There was no way we deserved 4 cards and they got none, oh forgot he actuallynoticed the GBH in the goal however he was man handled by Leicester players which also deserved yellows do not know what they thought ref was suppose to do. I suppose let it go thought he would have missed penalty if not for his assistant.Peter Walton 4 Poor 

Completely agree with OP. The ref played really well. The guy above me is just an idiot. No one likes refs and think its the easiest job in the world. [:S]Hats off to Walton for keeping hold of what could have been a very fiery affair. [Y]

spot on again Wazzy with the ref''s report, all bookings were right apart from Drury''s as you say, but it was the lino who flagged for that, so once he had it was bound to be a booking.

And of cause the red card was spot on as well, Chrissy Martin gets arrested for less than that lol

[quote user="First Wazzock"]

Tonight we welcomed Peter Walton, a Premiership Ref, would we get a Premiership performance?

It was a game that had everything tonight, and for the most part Mr Walton had it all under control. He didn''t fall for some of the diving about (Waghorn?). I agreed with all of the cards except one, the yellow for Adam Drury it looked very harsh as all the previous fouls had an element of the cynical about them, Drury''s was just mistimed. It was obvious he was going to book Chris Martin late on and full marks for letting play flow and waiting until the ball was dead before waving the card.

It was nice to see a Ref who allowed some good old fashioned shoulder to shoulder challenges, although the Leicester players who went flying didn''t seem to appreciate it.

The only downside came from one of his assistants who failed to notice that Chris Martin had been played on by one of their players before flagging him for offside, perhaps Mr Walton who was close to play should have realised this and allowed the game to continue. All in all a very relaxed but good performance. I could settle for that most weeks.

The one point that stood out for me tonight was the position where some of the throw ins were taken from. I was under the impression that the assistants should allow a couple of yards and ''shepherd'' the players into position but tonight some of the throws were a long way away from where they should have been.

Peter Walton 8 Good

[/quote]

Another excellent report Wazzy. The only other error I spotted was not booking their right back for hauling Jackson down by his shirt in the second half. He was decisive on the penalty (for which, I noticed, the assisstant  on that side didn''t flag) and handled the sending off well.