Sign in to follow this  
Yobocop

Barnett comparison

Leon Barnett''s 1st match at Carrow Road was v. Barnsley, he had no variety to his game and constantly headed the ball out.

In his 2nd game, he started bringing the ball down and playing the ball out effectively and was rewarded with the man of the match award.

Point being he has calmed down now in his role and is a much better defender for it, I hope Lambert and co can make this stay here a more permanent one.

Meant to say  so who would want him to sign in January ? or would we rather give Askou or Whitbread a chance assuming they are both fit then.

[quote user="cityangel"]Meant to say  so who would want him to sign in January ? or would we rather give Askou or Whitbread a chance assuming they are both fit then.[/quote]

Askou''s not got enough quality at this level (as Lambert has recognised by bringing the loanee in over him )and Whitbread''s fitness record is exasperating.

Barnett has impressed me more and more since his debut at Forest and I think that he''s a "must sign" in January.

When the ball''s headed out, it''s a pretty good shout that it''s Barnett.Be it knee or chest high he will make that ball fly, Leon Barnett ! ! !I''d sign him in January. He''s done nothing but impress, Whitbread (despite supposing to be the highest pedigree we have due to footballing upbringing) does not appear to ever be fit, and Askou doesn''t appear to be held in high enough regard by Lambert. Barnett and Ward first choice, Nelson first sub when he''s fit again is what I would imagine it to be.Let''s just hope we have enough money in January to finance it.

You make it sound like we did something to make him good. His only problem when he came to the club was people screaming foul as Askou was left out.

The guy is a premiership defender prooven as one of the best Championship defenders. Only reason he was not as quick as he is now in his first match was he had not played a competitive match for some time. If you go back to the Barnsley thread most people were saying he was class then.

Of course what it does show is the premiership money. A few years ago we would have been considered a club of a similar size to WBA. With the money they now receive it means they can keep someone as good s Barnett on their books until his contract is almost up and never even play him. 

We are of course in prime position to sign him at a knock down price in January because he is building a rapport with the fans. Money often talks however and if the likes of QPR Burnley Hull ect decide they are having him then that is down to WBA accepting our valuation and the player accepting less wages to pay for us than the likes of QPR.  

By all accounts he was excellent in his first year at West Brom and then he had a cirsis of confidence under Mowbray after a few mistakes caused by Mowbray''s insistence on passing the ball out at all times. If lambert can get his confidence back up (as appears to be happening) and let him play his own game then we could have a bit of a steal on our hands.

if he carries on improving every game as he has then yes I would sign him...and knowing Leon he will sign.

Barnett was awesome last night, won pretty much alll his headers against Howard.  I''d snap him up, just depends how much hes gonna cost, must surely be around 750-1mil.  Sure Baggies paid like 2.5 for him so surely they wann get some back.

without doubt sign him if we can, how much the Baggies will want is anybodys guess, i believe he is out of contract in the summer so that may go in our favour.

Not only is he a good cb, but he seems to be building a great partnership up with Ward as well

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="cityangel"]Meant to say  so who would want him to sign in January ? or would we rather give Askou or Whitbread a chance assuming they are both fit then.[/quote]

Askou''s not got enough quality at this level (as Lambert has recognised by bringing the loanee in over him )and Whitbread''s fitness record is exasperating.

Barnett has impressed me more and more since his debut at Forest and I think that he''s a "must sign" in January.

[/quote]

im sorry but how can you possibly say that askou hasn''t got enough quality at this level? have you seen him play at this level? before he got injured he was class, i know that was in league one but there is no evidence at all to back up your commment of him not having quality at this level!

[quote user="kc canary"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

im sorry but how can you possibly say that askou hasn''t got enough quality at this level? have you seen him play at this level? before he got injured he was class, i know that was in league one but there is no evidence at all to back up your commment of him not having quality at this level!

[/quote]

Nor is their any evidence that he can. The clue is that the manager, faced with a choice between playing him and bringing in a loan player, lost no time in doing the latter. I like Askou, he''s hard and good in the air, but having watched him regularly last season I don''t think anyone would accuse him of being good at passing out of defence, which is a key requirement at Championship level.

Askou may be fine at this level - we really don''t know yet do we?

Whitbread doesn''t look a good investment, so Leon Barnett on a permanent basis must be high on PL''s wish-list. Last night Barnett was fantastic - his quality was there for all to see.  I particularly like the way he manages to remain behind the opposition player he''s marking and somehow wrap his leg around to prod the ball away (minus a Doherty-esque bear-hug) and NOT give away a foul in the process. Terrific technique; overall he brings a calm expectancy to the back four that we have missed for a long time - probably since the days of Steve Bruce...

Would love to see him here permanently, even if it cost all of our January budget aswell as lowering the budget for summer transfers. You never feel uneasy when the ball''s going near him and he always makes a good tackle without giving away free kicks. I feel he will bag a few goals aswell, he''s been very unlucky to not have 4/5 already!