Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Which Player Could Make all the difference

Lambert has built us into a good hardworking side by and large difficult to beat in a very tight league. I have seen all the home games this season and the margins between winning and losing are pretty tight. If top 6 at Christmas who is there out there that could be the Huckerby type inspiration of a few years ago to take us that next level to be a serious contender for promotion?

This is going back a while, and is on the very fringes of my footballing memories, but I recall when Derby County signed Dave Mackay in 1971, he helped inspire a talented side with his experience and leadership qualities, and they were promoted, the following season, their first back in the old Division One, he won Footballer of the Year. He brought leadership and experience and that  nous turned the side into the winners they became.

Likewise when Martin Peters signed for us, similar thing-written off, bargain fee, he made a huge difference for similar reasons, players looked up to him, and raised their game as they played around with him.

I''m thinking we need another one of those, a Mackay or Peters-type signing, someone who has been there, done that, and can bring real experience, quality and leadership to the club and squad, even if he is 33, 34, pushing 35 even, but that sort of player. I wish I could name one-hell, no-one much had heard of David Williams when we signed him, but he did pretty much the same thing himself-but, right now, I can''t! In a dream world, it would be Paul Scholes now, or, at the time he joined Leeds, Gordon Strachan, another dream option of that ilk would have been Gary MacAllistair (when he joined Liverpool), you can see where I am going.

I think thats the sort of signing we could most benefit from right now, someone who wants a swansong, two years or so,  helping get this club promoted and then keeping us up.

I think an experienced, strong Dion Dublin type striker who could come on and hold the ball up and generally take the pressure off a bit would make a world of difference.

For all Holt''s qualities, he''s not been winning a lot in the air and would probably benefit playing with another big man sometimes.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Lambert has built us into a good hardworking side by and large difficult to beat in a very tight league. I have seen all the home games this season and the margins between winning and losing are pretty tight. If top 6 at Christmas who is there out there that could be the Huckerby type inspiration of a few years ago to take us that next level to be a serious contender for promotion?[/quote]HE GOES BY THE NAME HOOLAHAN! HE IS THE BEST PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE ON HIS DAY AND NOW HE TRACKS BACK AND GETS TACKLES IN HE IS MORE OF BENEFIT TO THE TEAM THAN EVER!

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]If we had a bit of cash to splash i would go Steve Morison of millwall, young hungrt 6 ft 2 in striker nearly 30 goals last season and 6 already in the championship[/quote]When has 27 been young?

[quote user="Adam NCFC"][quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]If we had a bit of cash to splash i would go Steve Morison of millwall, young hungrt 6 ft 2 in striker nearly 30 goals last season and 6 already in the championship[/quote]

When has 27 been young?
[/quote]WHEN SOMEONE WHO IS 70 IS TELLING YOU ABOUT THEM [Y]

Michael Kightly could be a good shout if is fit but omitted from Wolves 25 for the second half of the season.

Wolves will want to get him fit but may not want to include him as too much of a risk with the Prem squad restrictions.

Could well be just what we need coming into the home straight if we are still in with a shout of promotion.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Lambert clearly wanted FF and with him at the back we would be clear second now. But, it didn''t work out and apart from that I am happy with what we have.[/quote]

What extra points would we have had ? possibly less, Forster would not have saved the penalty against Swansea maybe ?

Forster will be the man who stops us getting promoted this year as two many people are not prepared to support the current team and comparing Ruddy to Forster will not help. Forsters gone to a far bigger club than we will ever be get over it. 

[quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="Adam NCFC"][quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]If we had a bit of cash to splash i would go Steve Morison of millwall, young hungrt 6 ft 2 in striker nearly 30 goals last season and 6 already in the championship[/quote]

When has 27 been young?
[/quote]WHEN SOMEONE WHO IS 70 IS TELLING YOU ABOUT THEM [Y][/quote]lol made me chuckle Nana[Y]

I still think we need a top quality goalkeeper as we all saw last year the difference it can make. Ruddy will cost us points this season and if we are to make the play offs which will be an almighty struggle this could be the difference imo

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Lambert has built us into a good hardworking side by and large difficult to beat in a very tight league. I have seen all the home games this season and the margins between winning and losing are pretty tight. If top 6 at Christmas who is there out there that could be the Huckerby type inspiration of a few years ago to take us that next level to be a serious contender for promotion?[/quote]HE GOES BY THE NAME HOOLAHAN! HE IS THE BEST PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE ON HIS DAY AND NOW HE TRACKS BACK AND GETS TACKLES IN HE IS MORE OF BENEFIT TO THE TEAM THAN EVER!

[/quote]

No Nana!  Hoolahan had his first good game last night and on the subject of a Huckerby inspiration type player, well, Hucks and Hoolahan aren''t even on the same planet.